Pimax 8KX for sale - ready to ship today [Sold]

Hello, I’m interested.
Am in England.
I assume as it is a private sale there will be no V.A.T.?
Do you accept paypal?
P.M. me if it is still for sale.

2 Likes

PM sent :wink:

1 Like

Also interested.

Might be able to pay more than asked.

2 Likes

PM sent - I’m not going to mess people about trying to get this in to a bidding war, first person to confirm they are willing to pay asking price gets first chance.

6 Likes

is sold pending payment in the next few hours

3 Likes

This 100% is my sentiment with Pimax headsets. It seems like you are just strapping a 3D image to the face creating a kind of pseudo VR experience. Some people like it though.

4 Likes

its not coz we like to look at flat screen but coz for some of us Pimax 3d depth immersion is strong & key feature for it is properly setup IPD & especially software IPD coz if you have no horizontal misaligment of image in your both eyes there is no chance you will see any stereoscopic effect.

I have 3 most strong HMD in terms of 3D immersion & it’s Vive Pro (the best) & Index & 5k+ (comparable but I guess Index is better a bit)

1 Like

I think head shape and position/depth of eyes has quite a lot to do with it.

2 Likes

I don’t think so, e.g. when I change eye relief on vive pro nothing but FOV changes, images just looks smaller but 3d depth doesn’t become less. Becuase lenses are done to achieve far sight vision (when light rays are coming from far distances) I don’t know exact values but I recall somethign abou 2-4 meters. So changing it by 1-10 cm doesn’t change anything for me.

It’s valid for Index & for 5k+ if I take it & move away of my face the FOV gets smaller & distorations come, but it’s not about 3d depth, coz you can adjust it by tweaking software ipd adjustment.

Maybe it’s related to eyes angle or other matter but if you have good mainstream HMDs perception, I guess you can achieve better with your pimax than you have, I can’t be sure, it’s just my intuition.

Usually people that have their Pimaxes setup correctly with the same convergence as in real world (many guides already were written how to setup it) & playing longer than 1-2 days, e.g. 2-3 weeks have good results.

Everybody says it can be a face shape, I believe you have this issue, but is it unsolvable? Without face bracket can you touch lenses centers with your eyes? If so eye relief doesn’t matter coz you can achieve different reliefs by changing different foams/3d printed brackets, velcros, foams from 3rd party like vrcover.

If your eyes in lense centers but angled at different way or maybe your eyes not as strong as other & you may need to try contact lenses or glasses to be in focus in correct area where it’s blurry for you but HMD supposed to be weared at that distance (due to canted displays not due to focal distance) it may change things for you. Obviously we don’t have this info yet, I can’t test it without you, your eyes & objective measurements. It’s all speculation. But I would like Pimax to grab those people & do investigation of all cases why people can’t achieve distortion free image & lack of 3d perception.

1 Like

The weird thing is that I didn’t have any such issues with my Vive, Rift, Rift S, Quest or Index.

I had to accommodate to the 5K+ and 8K, and now with the 8KX I am really struggling again to get proper convergence. It just feels like being cross-eyed, and I have applied a number of tricks mentioned in the forum. Next thing up will be setting up a statue in my room and try to align it with a statue in the SteamVR home (I guess it was Yen’s advice). But so far it really feels awkward I have to say, but so far I have been aiming at getting it right rather than just accept that it is off and try to get used to it, which I eventually did with the 5K+/8K at the time and it worked okay. With so many more tips available I had hoped to tackle it differently this time around though…

4 Likes

I would say accommodation is wrong way, it will work but you will feel fatigue & eye strain as you will often switch between 2 different convergences. I had similar problem when my 5k+ came for the first time, when I took HMD off my eyes had to refocus a bit & feel tired. But all those were to wrongly setup IPD & IPD offsets, statue or any other object, I just use furniture in my room & get away by the same distance in steamvr home & compare visuals IRL & IVR (virtual reality), it always works for me when Im lost with IPD settings, I just take ruler check that center lenses circles distance equal to my near sight IPD (I have 64 & 67 normal, seems near sight IPD works better for clarity) then do IPD IRL/IVR adjustment with IPD software offsets & it works for months. Others reported that changing verical offset lower/higher by the same values for both eyes did trick for them, coz if you need to look upward constanly eyes get tired much faster, so you need to achieve your IVR image to be a bit in front you & a bit lower, you shouldn’t see upper but a bit lower, others confirmed vertical offset for 1 eye made difference for them, I would try to look with your eyes sequentially with left & right & compare pictures & ensure that both images on the same vertical distance, try to adjust it, it’s a bit wrong coz IRL images have offsets, but it makes your brain do less work & you should be more comfortable to play in this mode, once achieved adjust horizontal IPD with IRL/IVR method. No need to redo it everyday, sometimes though I need to redo it if pitool updates & changes the sliders behaviour, but it happens extremely rare.

4 Likes

Pleased you found a buyer. :0)

1 Like

Did you happen to sell this today?

@Axacuatl I feel you man, but sadly I wasn’t prepared to go through weeks of adjusting to get a “compromise fit” and subsequent headaches/eye strain, when as you say these issues are not present in smaller FOV headsets.

I expect you’ll be selling yours soon enough. J/k.

@Teigue please just accept that peoples experiences differ. There isn’t a magic solution.

@Teigue @RobCram

I have continued the attempts, and currently I stand at tuning the physical IPD as low as possible and the software IPD at -4, and played a bit with the vertical settings too.

It still doesn’t feel as natural as with the Index, which I tried for a comparison. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I could verify that I cannot get the 100% sweetspot (where it is crystal clear) aligned fully, as the one for my left eye is a bit more to the left, and the one for the right eye to the right. So when I focus on something right in front of me, and keep it exactly in the center, it will be a wee bit blurry, while if I move my head just a bit to the left or right, it will be sharp - because in each case one of the two eyes will have it in its 100% sweet spot. So here is clearly room for improvement on the lenses; I suspect I didn’t notice the same with the 5K+ and 8K because their displays never achieved this level of clarity.

In any case, today it did feel a bit better than yesterday - although I had played around with the same values yesterday. This would seem to suggest that the accommodation process is kicking in. However, after my session it did feel weird again to look at th real world, although it normalized quicker than yesterday.

So to address Rob’s remark: I can fully understand the sentiment to just let go if you notice that you cannot get a full fit setting. I had the same thoughts yesterday, and still won’t rule it out (mind you, I will have a decision to make when the G2 comes along anyhow).

But when you get used to it and this issue fades to the background like it started to do in my session today, the 8KX does show its potential. I looked at the app Conscious Existence and played Skyrim a bit (at the gates of Sovngarde) as well as Vesper Peak in The Lab, and it is quite impressive to look at the wide big practically SDE-less picture - okay, I can notice the grid at times if I look for it, as it seems that my eyes really can focus on the plane of the displays to see the pixels, but it is really not much anymore and even better than the Index (which is doing a really good job in terms of SDE when compared to other headsets!). And the details seem to be a bit better too: I was standing in the starting position in SteamVR home and one of the game icons was teh Nefertari app, which has three lines of text, becoming smaller and smaller. On the Index the second line (e.g. the word journey) was difficult to read and the letter ‘u’ hardly recognizable, while with the 8KX it was better and the third was about as good or bad to read as the second on the Index.

So I will play around with it more and see if I find some magic spot for myself or just accommodate more, whatever happens first, I guess. But of course I will monitor the level of eye strain, and if it stays bothersome I would surely throw the blanket one day.

What I dislike long term is the need to fiddle around with the per game settings, even when PiTool now has the option to save them, you still need to take the headset off to start the game. I hope that Sweviver’s efforts will pay off and give us a great in-VR experience to have to make less adjustments by ourselves, learn from the crowd knowledge per game and everything, but I somehow sense that he has bitten off more than he can chew, as it seems he is doing it all by himself, so I am a bit skeptical if we will see this work out as announced.

2 Likes

I didn’t say that everybody has the same experience with Pimax, also Im not willing to force somebody to do something, but if a person tries to enhance experience I want to play a bit with settings & wondering what else could be done to get an improvement I sometimes in a mood to provide tips as I had bad initial experience with Pimax & eventually fixed it for myself. It’s just kind of hobby haha.

Yeah this one is quite a bad problem I also had this feeling when you see a sharp image but something is off & you want to scratch your other eye. If your eyes not symmetrical probably you can shift HMD to one or another position. I don’t know how I fixed it for myself but I did a lot of tilting, vertical/horizontal alignments tests & eye reliefs as well + IPD offsets/mechanical.

What is your real IPD? Mine is 67 but seems my near sight IPD is 64 so min Pimax real mechanical IPD is about 64 & now it works for me there, so I don’t feel eye strain & when I put HMD off I don’t need to refocus. If you IPD is lower probably it’s worse for you, so no solution apart of extreme mod which I wouldn’t reccommend.

This doesn’t sound good, can you check this guide & if possible adjust your IPD settings according to it, will you have any difference then? https://community.openmr.ai/t/guide-how-to-achieve-perfect-real-view-with-pimax-ipd-compensation/18369

Also I’ve updated the guide please check IPD section there as long as nose pain one https://community.openmr.ai/t/how-to-make-your-pimax-image-crisp/29688

Your eyes should be vertically aligned with the red line I guess, plus horizontal alignment for pupils is also important

2 Likes

Your IPD is 67 and you already know how difficult it is (and that you have to set the headset IPD to 3-4mm less than your actual IPD), depending on face shape somewhere around 63-64 real IPD it just becomes impossible to reduce the headset IPD enough to be anything close to comfortable.

I can only stomach a pimax headset for 10 minutes before it becomes uncomfortable, but in a headset with an actual accurate mechanical IPD adjustment I can VR for hours comfortably.

Okay, then it is no good choice for you and better to let go.

@PimaxQuorra: when playing around with the settings, I noticed that it is tricky to adjust them when wearing the headset, e.g. to modify the software IPD. WIthin SteamVR there is the show desktop feature, which I use, but adjusting the slider with the Index controller tends to eb bit finicky, so could your engineers consider adding + and - buttons in addition (not instead of) the slider ?

I know, the Pimax Experience is suppose dto supersede all of this but that may take longer to complete than currently anticipated and some users may not want to use it at all, so adding the above-mentioned buttons may make sense nevertheless.

2 Likes

just an option atm, you can focus slider by clicking it & use your keyboard with arrows <- ->

2 Likes

Thanks, for some reason it didn’t cross my mind to try that - it was very helpful indeed !! It allowed to really compare the effects directly without any distraction.

Btw, currently I am sitting at minimum physical IPD, -1,5 software IPD and left 0, right 1,5 vertical IPD… still not entirely good but a whole bit better than when I started.

I also noticed that wearing my reading glasses I use for working with the PC (so at about 80 cm distance) improve sharpness a bit, which means the sharpness of the displays is such that it starts to make a difference, which wasn’t necessarily the case with previous headsets.

1 Like