Pimax 8K X and headphones

Hello!

I want to buy the new 8K X model but something that nobody talks about is: headphones.

Is it possible to wear our personal headphones over that bulky round shaped hinges?
I am NOT interested in those cheapos integrated speakers that come with the standard strap, but i’m afraid because of the shape of the strap design it makes it difficult to put on headphones over.

Can someone with a 8K X let me know if that is not an issue??

1 Like

I think you mean over the Audio module mounts as the actual hinge is not in the way.

I think to reduce the module bumps the smas speaker module may need to be removed and a flush cap installed in it’s place.

You can remove the audio part off the MAS so it is no problem.

1 Like

It may depend on the headphones. Certainly at the Roadshow, I saw people wearing very bulky over-ear headphones - in a full motion flight simulator setup no less - over the SMAS without any issues at all. There are also a number of very nice aftermarket ‘hacks’, swapping the DAS speakers, some expensive over-hear headphones, directly in place of the SMAS speakers (effectively attaching these aftermarket speakers to the MAS).

Then of course the DMAS should be nearing shipment, and that will definitely be the best option.

Would be good to see pics as I only recall folks in pics and videos wearing the large ear muffs with top strap of headphones towards pack of head vs on top.

That sounds really good!

Do you have a link to such a mod?

Such mods are all over these forums. I haven’t been keeping much track of them for several reasons…

1. High frequency response is what I really care about and SMAS has that.
  2. For roomscale stuff, where arguably bass matters more than usual, I use my 5k+ and DAS anyway. I don’t really consider the DAS speakers superior overall.
  3. Proposed replacement speakers are unlikely - in some cases confirmed not to - have as good high-frequency response as the SMAS already does.
  4. I know from Pimax’s frequency response graphs the DMAS offer the best possible audio quality, and I have more patience to just wait for that, than I have time to mess with probably inferior speakers.
  5. If I did any such hack at all, I would add an amplifier to the headset. I have separate 5V and 16.2V-25.8V power wired to a convenient ‘zipTiePanel’ junction box for such accessories already…

Frankly, I have a low opinion of all the complaining about the SMAS. For seated use cases, it solves a very important convenience/comfort problem. The tradeoffs are worth it, and the ‘loudness equalization’ workaround doesn’t break jet engine noise for me.

Nice, thanks guys for all the replies, i own the HyperX Cloud Orbit S, in case it might be relevant, i will go for the 8kX then.

2 Likes

I own the HyperX Cloud Orbit S.

1 Like

I run my voice through a scarlett pre-amp into a Shure over the ears hook microphone. I am also comfortable with using my studio headphones through the pre-amp as well, but I wouldn’t recommend doing that for anything but seated gaming. The only real drawback is that even when seated, you suddenly have two more cords to worry about getting tangled. But it does produce really nice audio both on input and output. I am eager to get my dmas and ditch the headphones!

1 Like

I have massive audiophiles headphones - Sennheiser HD 700 and HD 800 - both are very comfortable with my SMAS but you need to wear it under strap.
HD 700 are lighter so I’m preferring them over HD800 for longer VR session.
Note - you need good amp/dac to get full potential from them.!

My wife also has no problem with them:

4 Likes

I have the HyperX Cloud Orbit S, they are pretty much the best so far in sound quality over a couple of brands that i tried (Sennheiser included), but i never though that you could wear it UNDER the SMAS.

Good to know! Thanks alot for the info mate!

1 Like

I only play seated games, as a matter of fact, only ONE game (Iracing lol). So yeah almost non existent violent movement, except for the motion rig it selfs.

I have “1 finger” space at each side between SMAS and my head so no problem at all…

1 Like

That’s only because You’re not wearing the back “cup” as low as I would think it should be.

It’s doesn’t look like it cups the back of her head?

You’re probably suffering from the bad hinges.

For seated use it’s probably fine but I wouldn’t want to wear the headset like that when moving around… :wink:

I have worn a small pair of headphones under the strap too though (Koss KPH30i). The key is that the headband is either very close to Your head like Yours or very far/wide with thick pads so it doesn’t interfere with the strap. None of the headphones I own seem to fit that way though on first look unless You angle them.

I haven’t tried all of them though as I’m just using a pair of earbuds until the DMAS arrives as I’m one of the people who actually want to be able to hear my surroundings (small kids).

1 Like

You should be going for the 8kX anyway. It is compatible with all the other straps, facial interfaces, etc, that all the other Pimax headsets are compatible with. In fact, it is compatible with basically everything the Vive is compatible with, which is a lot of things…

From the headset itself, resolution and FOV are the characteristics to shop for IMO.

Not true ! I’m wearing it properly - just my wife dont want to pull it down becouse of hairdo… :slight_smile:

I have plastic hinges .

2 Likes

Ahh… I see… Different priorities… :+1::nerd_face:

1 Like

hey bro
If you need any technical support, please contact customer service and submit a ticket they will do that for you.

:innocent:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.