Pimax 8K VR Frequent Asked Questions

I really think “may” bring some awfully close to the competitions you’ll start hearing stuff by then

I may have missed this, but what I’m wondering is if this current model will be sold with the x model, or be replaced by it.

There not excuses just perspective understanding ofvthe answers folks seem to be ignoring.

@deletedpimaxrep1 posted a basic on being able to uograde the input & about the X model being released later.

@PimaxSWD posted why on hardware spec (ahead of kickstarter)

While these may not be the answers folks want to hear it is honest answers. Its not like the $300 oculus cv1 promise & its not like the $100 nolo promise.

Yeah just like they promised an upgrade set for the 4k. I didnt see that happen. Why would this be different.

But they didnt explain why they just don’t put 2x DP on it from the start.

I hope so man. I wish there was an alternative to Pimax for high end gaming. I’d jump ship day 1, so I wouldnt have to deal with this bullsh*t anymore.

Dude your wrong !the programmers knew this for a while now I don’t see how they couldn’t and instead of just raising the price and adjusting their hardware they are offering two versions When There only should be one" their double dipping"

1 Like

@PimaxVR So i guess 4:2:0:Chroma subsampling wont work to enable native 4k on the 8k unit either?

I attribute all of this mis-communication to the fact that we want to be on the cutting edge of VR tech and are disappointed that it’s not really there yet. I for one, want it to be much better and trouble free than it is. It’s a hassle wearing a HUGE thing on you head , having to strap on controllers. Setting up software to do the activity you want. Most all of these steps will be eventually eliminated in the future but for now It has to be tolerated. Just like not getting everything you want. I was never much of a PC gamer for the same reason. It’s so much easier to just pop in a dvd into a console and play. Now I’m willing to give up convenience to be on the cutting edge.

Hardware upgrade option. Software was the original idea to upgrade 4k model (which was not possible due to as you pointed out only arm supports the dsc until release of dp 1.4)

The why not put the dual dp from the start is the valid question more than anything. The only reason i can see is the same reason all vr hmds didn’t go hdmi 2.0 from the start & that was probably to cut a corner on cost. Of which if all them had gone hdmi 2.0 instead of 1.4 we would have likely had native 4k on the 4k model.

Wouldn’t you agree?

You’re wrong. Pimax said they’d make an upgrade hardware box to connect to the 4k so it would offer native 4k.

And until they say that is indeed cancelled (though i only recalled idea of being discussed) it may still come to be. With all the R&D being focused on the 8k it is likely they have only been able to focus on software improvements at this time.

1. Why not offer 24k@60 hz ? So without DSC.
    ---- Because the max bandwidth of DP input just support 2
    4k@50 hz

2. Why is it so complicated to add that 2nd DP port ? Why are you talking about Q2-Q3 ? And why $300 extra ?
    ---- The cause of 2 DP solution please see the replay above; and the solution is not ready now, we need to modify the design of hardware / mechanics and software, otherwise it need to customize the new connect cable, so we need more time to develop the solution. of cause, we need large huge of fund to push our supplier to fix all the problem above.

1 Like

[quote=“PimaxSWD, post:154, topic:2958, full:true”]

1. Why not offer 24k@60 hz ? So without DSC.---- Because the max bandwidth of DP input just support 24k@50 hz

2. Why is it so complicated to add that 2nd DP port ? Why are you talking about Q2-Q3 ? And why $300 extra ?---- The cause of 2 DP solution please see the replay above; and the solution is not ready now, we need to modify the design of hardware / mechanics and software, otherwise it need to customize the new connect cable, so we need more time to develop the solution. of cause, we need large huge of fund to push our supplier to fix all the problem above.
    [/quote].

I’m confused. You’re saying the problem is the bridge chip. But how do other hardware manufacturers process DP 1.4 highres then ? The standard exists for over a year, 1070/1080 cards already support it, yet it’s impossible to feed this into a display ? That makes no sense. There must be a way to feed this to a display.

It might be possible to feed it to a desktop display but not a mobile one. Mobile chips don’t typically support as high resolutions and refresh as desktop ones.

1 Like

@Sjef We keep trying the single DP option with the ANX7530, it is a new chip and it is our first time to use it. We suppose it works, but we meet bottleneck in a later stage, but we are still trying.

Last week, we met and discussed with the vendor in Silicon Valley, and we finally compromised that we do need 2 DP.

So we are here to let you know as soon as we have the option to use 2 DP.

We are trying hard to solve the issue, we want native 4K as much as you do. It is midnight in Shanghai and we are still in the office.

We need more support from VR community and vendors. We need support and understanding from you.

5 Likes

Yeah seems like that would have been the best route. It would have made the unit future proof for when GPUs catch up with the necessary horsepower to drive the screens. In the meantime software options would be able to give each user options on the input resolution based on their personal hardware and what activity they are doing. I guess they were trying to avoid the extra cost associated with going that route. I saw a $300 number being tossed out in this thread but don’t know where that number came from. Did Pimax state that amount somewhere? Hard to imagine why just adding an additional DP would cost that much more but I have no idea either way. If in fact it does legitimately cost that much more then I can see why they wouldn’t do it. It would price the hmd out of the current market price range for a VR set. Still really disappointing to hear all of that the day before kickstarter but definitely glad to hear it now instead of after the kickstarter was over. At least this way everyone can make an informed decision.

2 Likes

@PimaxSWD Could you at least offer the option for full resolution at the 50hz? This would be perfect for applications such as a virtual theater where you could use the full resolution to watch movies. Thanks.

1 Like

4k 144 hz monitor: ASUS Computex 2016: 27-inch 4K IPS 144Hz Gaming Monitor

If they can do it, why Pimax can’t ?

Pimax always want a break from criticism after getting called out on unsubstantiated claims that they themselves make, its absolute nonsense.

If what is said can not be done until it can be done, don’t claim it.

Simple.

1 Like

Hmm in all fairness, Acer seems to delay that monitor to 2018: Asus and Acer delay feature-rich 4K 144Hz monitors with HDR until 2018 | PC Gamer