Pimax 8k + Oculus (Solved)

Hello - I’m trying to get Stormland and lone echo to work.

I’ve tried to play them from INSIDE the pitool app - but they just crash and give me a crashed dialogue box - then I tried to play them in revive (for SteamVR) and it opens but it never shows me anything in the headset - it just displays on my main computer monitor.

Pimax 8k
latest beta + firmware
Oculus store is installed on computer
using lighthouse boxes + controllers

9900K - 2080ti

I’ve also uninstalled and reinstalled the pitools. (I do have revive installed currently)

Thank you

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this might be your problem or not, but you might want to try reducing the Render Quality setting in PiTool to 0.5. Some games apply a large super-sampling factor to the requested resolution, which can cause crashes. Iirc, it’s a problem with games based on the Unity engine. I had this problem with Hellblade.

5 Likes

Hi @Phaino
Here’s a discussion about Stormland. But as Neal said, Oculus games dont like Pitool quality setting over 1.0
https://community.openmr.ai/t/fixed-stormland-doesn-t-work-with-either-revive-or-pitool-native/23673

5 Likes

This is true. I had several games set above 1 game and had to go to Pitool .5, until I back the games down to 1 and then move Pitool back to up to1.
Don’t have Stormland but Lone Echo works fine if you have Index controllers, Wands are crap.

5 Likes

Yup. I feel dumb. This was the exact issue. Had to change my render quality to 1.0 … Sorry for bothering you all! I thought I had tried this!

@dogbite Yeah - I want the index controllers - sold out everywhere :frowning:

6 Likes

No need at times things can be complicated. Even some Steam games prefer lower than 1 pi render setting. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

Updated your titled.

6 Likes

@Phaino
How is the quality in lone echo?
For me it Looks rather unsharp compared to stormland - tried it last night but have not tuned it as of now. I guess some tweaking is needed. Still an awesome game so far.

The CV1 @ pixel density 2 looks really good. My 5k looks better with bigger fov and less sde being the big impact.

1 Like

I have the 5k but it looks washed out as soon as the characters are like 3 meters away i guess I am missing a config

Check your AA. Mine got switched off for some reason.
I run all max game settings. Certainly, it not as rich as the Rift oleds when it comes to colors and blacks and that does affect the lighting, but the trade off is minor when compared by fov and sde.

1 Like

It’s good it just looks like it rendered at 1280 x 1024 or something low - or that the distance lod decreases extremely fast - I switch from stormland to line echo if I am not in Asgard’s Wrath and they both are much sharper - I will check some configs in a minute - family is in bed now :wink:

5 Likes

It is an earlier title and the polygon count is lower than the Storm and AW. Devs no doubt have learned a few things since then. I wouldn’t get too concern about a game
almost 2 1/2 years old not looking as good. They get better every year.

3 Likes

True - but its none the less a very good game!

1 Like