Pimax 8K Eye Tracking Features

Afaik Pimax will use aGlass product for eye tracking. I want to use Pimax 8K for my research project. I need eye tracking camera video/images to use on Unity. I need separate eye tracking. Afaik aGlass SDK will not allow developers to use those features without a special license that costs around $7K. Is there any info about what can we do on Unity with Pimax 8K eye tracker?

@Pimax-Support @Sean.Huang @deletedpimaxrep1 @Matthew.Xu

3 Likes

Added pokes to pimax team.

Good advice~I’ll forward your message to Robin. thank you

2 Likes

@ufukcoban

Received.
Now we have been working with our eye tracking partners on it.
Let us target on 2019Q1 to have a Demo SDK on Pimax 8K series.

4 Likes

Actually I don’t think that’s confirmed just yet. Sure we saw a picture of aGlass, but they’ve mentioned their partners are Adhawk and Tobii as well. Imo, Adhawk makes the most sense because it doesn’t use cameras (low power consumption) and is cheap to produce. It’s supposed to be better then camera solutions actually.

1 Like

The frequency of the cameras is important for me. I hope you add 200 Hz cameras. Because I will use it for a R&D project, I should access all features of the eye tracker. Nowadays my favorite is Pupil Labs eye tracker. They will release Oculus Rift add-on with 200 Hz camera and open source SDK, soon. Resolution of HMD is so important for me, So 8K is a great option. I hope I can find a HMD that covers all of my requirements :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If they go with Adhawk, it won’t use cameras. It’s actually supposed to be better.

1 Like

I agree, It will be better for eye tracking calculations. Because my project is about treatment, I should see the patient’s eyes on the computer monitor.

1 Like

Yeah for things like foveated rendering Adhawk would probably be better. Doesn’t camera based eye tracking eat up a lot of cpu usage?

How are they going to fit the eye tracking in the HMD, some say there eye lashes touch the screen, is there enough room left for it ?

First off, they would touch the lenses and not the screen. Secondly, the eye tracking could go on the sides of inside the headset like this. Obviously this isn’t the finished module because it cuts off a lot of field of view. The module in this picture is aGlass eye tracking. aGlass isn’t confirmed to be the eye tracker we’ll get though.

1 Like

The eye tracking module is a ring around the outside of the lens, it doesn’t have any extra depth in the center so won’t make the eyelash situation any better or worse.

1 Like

Do we know if Pimax will be implementing any form of foveated rendering? @Matthew.Xu

That’s not up to Pimax.

2 Likes

Then what is the purpose for eye tracking? Are there any haves games that support it?

1 Like

Foveated rendering is coming. It’s just a matter of time before it starts getting implemented in lots of games.
For it to be a thing though, we need consumers to have the eye tracking to use it.

1 Like

Eye trackers are designed for healthy eyes. Strabismus and Nystagmus cause problems for eye tracking. It also requires calibration per user. So I can say It will work for most of the users. Foveated rendering is the responsibility of the game developer. Afaik there is no standard interface for eye tracking. I guess Steam VR will add such interface to their SDK.

1 Like

Please keep this topic ‘factual’ and limit suspicions and speculations. Pimax’s Product manager has already replied that they are targeting a Q1 in 2019 for a Dev SDK. making suggestions or giving them some ideas or tips if new tech becomes available can be done on the 'Suggestions for Pimax Thread here: http://community.openmr.ai/t/suggestions-for-pimax/8891/31

Many Thanks

Eno

1 Like

Is the sweet spot big enough for eye tracking! , you cant refocus the lens where it gets blurry and making the image sharper will not work.

1 Like

Well this looks very uncomfortable, hope they make it smaller:-)

2 Likes