Pimax 8K/5K+ Ultra Super Duper Mod with 40+ prototypes

Hahaha I know that it sounds crazy… but I wanted the best experience possible with my Pimax.

I scanned my face with a IPhone X app and created prototypes for maximum comfort and stability in my face. 1:1 stabilized. I can jump or move my face fast, and the HMD is all the time at the same distance, and without pain in my face.

Sorry, I tried the HMD in my friends and works bad. Only works for my face in the “perfect way”. But I wanted to show you my “crazy” work.

40+ prototypes. But it only cost 20$ of PLA hehe. And a lot of work and time! And now… is perfect snif… Good times hahah now is time to play… something… because I suppose people use Pimax in this way… The next time I will buy only the case, to create mods haha.

A summary:
I discovered the DAS is not working in the best way with actual printed hinges. I needed to force a normal use, with modified hinges and extra foam in the back.

Then I used a piece to hold the HMD to my forehead, like PSVR, but then… I discovered that the different size, shape and weight… made that my HMD tilt over my face in differents ways. I was trying to not have pressure directly over my face.

Then, I made a special piece for my nose. Like normal glasses. It works very well, but only with a high IPD, because the piece need to be between the lenses.

Finally, I discovered that using a extra extension of the HMD to have it hold to my temples works very well. Then I use this method and now I have my nose free of weight too.

I made 40+ prototypes because I want a perfect sensation of “nothing” in my head. Then I needed to recreate it some times to get rid of imperfections and micro movements.

Actually there is zero weight over my face. The foam doesn’t touch my face. I use it only for the light. And I can play games like Racket NX, looking very fast to my back, the floor, or the ceiling… and the movement of the HMD is 1:1 with my head and without touch my face. Absolutely natural, like the real life :slight_smile:

33 Likes

Why is there velcro around the hinges? Is that the adapter that was split into multiple pieces?

I haven’t received mine yet but the adapters from @Dr.Cube come in a single piece.

2 Likes

That is awesome in very many ways!

You legend. Please share with us what you discovered was most important so we won’t have to do 40 trials too :grinning:

2 Likes

I remade the hinges to force the DAS to have the headphones closer to my head. In the same way, the DAS has more contact superficie over my head and it works better to prevent the HMD be loose.

When I made it, to have the DAS in the original way that was created, the hinges some times let go of their place hehe.

3 Likes

hahaha thanks.

I discovered the DAS is not working in the best way with actual printed hinges. I needed to force a normal use, with modified hinges and extra foam in the back.

Then I used a piece to hold the HMD to my forehead, like PSVR, but then… I discovered that the different size, shape and weight… made that my HMD tilt over my face in differents ways. I was trying to not have pressure directly over my face.

Then, I made a special piece for my nose. Like normal glasses. It works very well, but only with a high IPD, because the piece need to be between the lenses.

Finally, I discovered that using a extra extension of the HMD to have it hold to my temples works very well. Then I use this method and now I have my nose free of weight too.

Actually there is zero weight over my face. The foam doesn’t touch my face. I use it only for the light. And I can play games like Racket NX, looking very fast to my back, the floor, or the ceiling… and the movement of the HMD is 1:1 with my head and without touch my face. Absolutely natural, like the real life :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As someone who has prototyped/printed/redesigned parts I know this all too well.

I tend to buy things with plans to modify them before using them, that’s part of the fun.

3 Likes

Wow! That’s dedication!

I greatly improved my comfort by attaching an 11.1 oz (312 g) counterweight to the back of my headset. I taped 2 steel wrenches together and attached it to the back of the headset strap using the Velcro loop Pimax provided to coil the headset cable. Now there is zero pressure on my cheeks, which had been making it hard for me to breathe (due to sinus pressure).

3 Likes

I use velcro ties around my adapters because they had a tendancy to pop off when i would pick it up by the side strap of the das.

@Yen you can also move the vive das cable clip to the other side of the das so it is on the correct side for holding the pimax cable

2 Likes

That does the same thing as the wmr headstrap that I’m using and transfers the weight onto the forehead ,gently pulling the headset towards the face lets hope the pimax headstrap does this!

Try adding something heavy to the back as a counterweight , you can literally feel your neck muscles relax

Good point! I will try it too! hahaha

1 Like

Yeah! I discovered that the HMD need to be connected to the headstrap by three points (top and laterals) to works well. Is better is you can use something rigid for the laterals.

For Pimax must be very difficult to crear a perfect headstrap, but… with a enough amount of adjustments is possible to get rid of every issue we actually have.

A kind of skull cap like yours would be good

Shout-out to Yen.
Nice work, cool job.

4 Likes

Thanks Leon!! It’a a pleasure!!! Love your work too

1 Like