Pimax 5K+ with iRacing : nice in front, but blurry everywhere else

Hello everyone !
I received my pimax 5K+ yesterday.
I’m running iRacing.
I have one big problem (except the low quality in straight line, lot of aliasing) very disturbing for me :
If i look straight ahead, it looks okay.
If i look anywhere else without moving my head, like below (where i have my steering wheel, lap time, gap with opponents) or if i look up (comments, mirror) it’s blurry.
Blurry enough to make it hard to read, so i have to move my head. Problematic when you are driving fast.

Is that normal ?
If i do an IPD test in front of my mirror, it seems i have a 65mm IPD. I set it up like this but it’s the same.
Any suggestion ?

1 Like

Have you activated Fixed Foveated Rendering by mistake? It’s only available in the 111 Beta though. Also Some blurriness in the edges is normal, especially in large FoV. Try using Small or Normal, which also will give you a quite performance boost. And of course, the IPD, some say the Values used by Pimax are not correct and that they need to reduce the ipd. There is a pic here in the forum which you can copy as a startup Image for pimax home, it will help you to adjust your ipd correctly, you will find the pic among the answers in this thread : https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-is-there-a-plan-to-fix-eye-strain-and-ipd-issues-to-make-the-5k-and-8k-headsets-more-useable-for-people-with-less-than-60mm-ipd-small-ipd-160-fov-lens-replacements-and-adaptors/16925/7

I too have an IPD of 65mm and I used some velcro strips (one layer) to thicken the face pad/foam a bit which helped a lot on the distortions. I don’t notice it anymore… :+1:

I have ordered this which, according to other posts here, should fit the Pimax perfectly and is a bit thicker than the ones that come with the Pimax:
https://vrcover.com/product/samsung-gear-vr-foam-padding-waterproof-for-exhibitions-sport-consumer-version/

EDIT: @leppermessiah1 took a picture of his HMD with it attached:

1 Like

you had the same problem ? it was blurry as soon as you don’t look straight ?
I feel i’m too close from the lenses. Sometime my eyelids even touched them.

1 Like

Yes, exactly the same for me. If You have some pieces of double-sided velcro You can use that as “spacers” between the headset and the foam.

I’ll try that !
I’m buying the deluxe audio strap and printing the adapter also.
I was quite disappointed yesterday with everything being blurry when i moved my eyes.

1 Like

The DAS does wonders for the comfort and ease of use.

I already had it from my Vive and moved it to the Pimax on the first day :wink:

i didn’t see your answer sorry.
no i don’t have this fixed foveated rendering option.
i think my problem is IPD related but i still can’t figure the good setting, or if my measure fits inside the PIMAX range.
i’ll try the picture you talk about.
so far in iracing or even pimax home, it’s impossible for me to see something clear in both eyes if it’s in front of one eye. The other one will always see it blurry.
As i lower the IPD settings it gets better, but not clear. I am afraid that i maybe have a lower IPD than what the helmet offers.

1 Like

Same problem for me, i have a ipd of 64, tryied realy every ipd setting but it seems that there are missing some more mm to get lenses closer for a realy good image. I got also a problem with the world scale, everything is bigger than it should be. Hope i will get soon response to my ticket.