Pimax 5k+ received! Early experience (Spamenigma)

Sounds very exciting and super awesome!

3 Likes

I had the same issue on the 8k. Had to update back to 84 to get it to connect. it kept saying to plug in the DP/hdmi.

I have been playing with Pitool at 1.25 with steamvr ss set to give 2880*x per eye (to just over 3000)

5 Likes

I didn’t have to pay extra tax in Canada either.

is Anyone else having trouble with forum on mobile phone? it loads but no content (was fine this morning) I do have malware bytes installed

2 Likes

@Sean.Huang posted a chart on pitool parallel projection settings in a variety of games

Ah, thanks for reminding me that exists. I assume you mean this post:

http://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-setting-suggestions/9312

I looked the other day and totally forgot again because I had no HMD then :smiley:

2 Likes

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: 8k Arrived Oct 17 2018 -Helio

Thank you so much for all the info when you must really just want to play with your new toy :grinning:
Can I ask you as someone who hates SDE and pixilation of 1st gen HMD’s
If the Vive SDE is 100% noticeable and distracting what percentage would you put the 5k SDE at?
I know it is subjective to some degree but just give you opinion having experienced both HMD’s
Also the pixilation and general lack of clarity was bad enough for me not to enjoy race sims, using the same guide where you would put 5k clarity as compared with the Vive?
Many thanks.

1 Like

I am SO envious. I’ll need to wait at least a couple of months to see it myself. (Backer # 31XX)

3 Likes

He already answered that SDE question a few posts above:

Vive 8/10, Rift 7/10, 5K+ 3.5/10… going from memory… I will do some comparison testing this weekend with all my HMD’s to refresh my memory and compare properly and revisit my scores

1 Like

@Chucksta was not super happy with the SDE on 8k, interesting.

Edit. maybe thats one of the reason the 3 awesome heroes of ours preferred the 5k+, the pattern of the SDE?

2 Likes

Yeah seems counter to everything we have heard from the testers.

1 Like

Yeah like, “you see it if you try to look for it” but is it more annoying on 8k when you actually see it? (edit. judging by the thru-lens shoots, I think so) Very interesting and definately very giggity.

It’s in line with what (most of the) Spanish testers said.

1 Like

Hey, no verbal dumping on my post! keep it civil please! :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I want a neural implant… :beers::innocent::+1::sparkles:

3 Likes

Sir, one question! are you british? i hope so cause you guys are critical lol so this would be extra gud news

3 Likes

Oh btw, what FOV settings did you try in these impressions above? Also, which is your preferred settings? did you try all three? would you keep the large fov or is the medium fov almost the same…?

No problem, to be honest I’m working too much from memory and running on hype for finally seeing it. So tomorrow I’ll get to a bit more playing and will get my Vive and Rift connected and compare to form a more accurate opinion. I’ll try and remove the VRose tinted glasses and get a better feel for it all.

SDE is a pain at times but we know its not going anywhere for a while longer. I admit I have a little disappointment in seeing it still but I need to decide if or when its distracting. I also admit in the brief moments I’ve tried this HMD today there are already some experiences it does feel like its vanished but tomorrow I’ll get more time to look at it.

6 Likes

I’m having the same issue @spamenigma @yanfeng.

I had .84 initially installed and I then reverted back to .76 with my GTX 1070 and everything
worked. Had a mess around in ED for a few minutes to test differences between the PITool versions and then
thought I would try the GTX 1080ti that had just arrived.

I ran DDU and did a clean install of Nvidia drivers, plugged the headset in and couldn’t get it to connect.
I un-installed then re-installed PITool .76 but still couldn’t connect.

Started to think that I had Display Port problems on the 1080ti. When turning on the HMD when the screens inside the headset flashed on for a few secs I could see horizontal coloured lines. By this time it was getting late and decided to leave it for the night and have a fresh look this morning.

Will try updating to .84 when I have time later to see if the new card runs.
I would prefer to run .76 though. as it was better with my 1070 visually.
One thing I noticed was that on .84 the colours on the HUD in ED were more vibrant.

Neil.

4 Likes

Yes, I’m British :slight_smile: and I will do my best to give the story as I see it.

For FOV, I did try all three but the experience was so brief it was more to just see things work. So I’ll get to some proper playing tomorrow.

The large FOV didn’t feel that bad, but I’m still wrapping my head around the distortion now that I’ve seen what its actually doing. Its not actually that bad its just a bit strange. Obviously it could be per case…some games look or perform worse at higher FOV etc… so will gradually get a feel for that as will others.

3 Likes