Performance in 8 VR Games: Varjo VR-3 vs. Vive Pro 2 vs. Reverb G2 vs. Pimax 8KX!

In this video, I did a performance test on these 4 VR headsets in the following games: Half Life Alyx, Pavlov, Asgard’s Wrath, Elite Dangerous, Boneworks, Medal of Honor, Blade & Sorcery, and Areofly FS2 Flight Simulator.

Recorded on an RTX 3090 with i9-9900K. Nvidia drivers have a bug where SteamVR stutters when GPU monitoring is used. Recording videos, results in a 5 to 10fps performance hit.

7 Likes

Nice work Dan, thank you for your time with these videos

2 Likes

Yeah awesome stuff , it runs and looks better than 8k X :blush:

3 Likes

In some of those instances the VP2 seems to have serious problems. It’s new so updates might work wonders.

2 Likes

Hello there,

I also have the vive pro 2,but it got indeed some performance issues…
My pimax 8kx runs easier on my hardware…

By the way some people like me have some huge column mismatch on some vive pro 2 units.

This problem was also on some off the first valve index units.
It looks like vertical scanlines like this: https://imgur.com/Q329F0j

At the moment i like my pimax 8kx more… by the way could you please add me to test the new alpha firmware for the 90hz on the pimax 8kx…

3 Likes

Yeah the other huge issue with the VP2 is it really doesn’t work with motion compensation yet. It’s close to non functional on that at the moment.
I’m 100% sure they will sort this stuff out with updates though.

4 Likes

@NextGenVR one thing I’d recommend is sticking to a standard. For through the Lens you had the 8kx at 1.25x ss to show it as its best but here you have it at 1.0x

It can give the illusion of it performing better while looking like it does but a person would have to be paying close attention to know they’re not the same.

Doesn’t matter what settings you decide are best for a headset. Just stick to them across the board.

1 Like

Wouldn‘t we rather use settings which make full use of the given GPU/CPU capacity - which may not be 100% SS (+ 1.00 PiTool) settings for all headsets as they have different resolutions, refresh rates to calculate ?

At the end of the day a user has a PC at home with a given spec and what he really is interested in is which headset gives him the best experience on his rig. If I manage to run an 8KX at 75 Hz and PiTool 1.25 / SS 100% on my rig, and a G2 say at 90 Hz and 120% SS both with stable framerates meeting their refresh rates, that‘s what will be the true comparison for me.

What sense would it make to use the G2 at 100% SS only if the GPU then only is at 76% load while my 8KX settings put the GPU at 97% load ? That would ultimately be skewed to make the 8KX look better than it would perform at your home compared to the G2 ?

The above obviously applies to all other headsets too.

1 Like

The idea is this is the performance of all these VR headsets at their native resolution. You could always up the supersampling or render quality of any one of these headsets but there needs to be a baseline. If I had done this comparison with 1.25 render quality it wouldn’t be fair.

I understand the reasoning, but this puts say the Index at quite a disadvantage compared to how it would actually perform for you on your PC given the same PC specs, doesn’t it ?
So while it academically is interesting to apply this approach, many users may mistake it for “which headset would be the best for me to buy” advice slightly misleading them as to the comparative performance of the headsets in daily use.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.