Performance drop on 0.35

Hi i was using .35 for the first time. Since you said it was ok to use the normal PiTool now, I uninstalled Pitool and cleared all of the AppData, ProgramData, Program Files folders

and reinstalled fresh

my firmware is also 264

anyway launched PE and everything was beautiful.

I went into the settings for HL ALyx and changed the super sampling and I noticed everything flicker and suddenly get very aliased looking,

I figured … okay it tried to apply the setting right away. Which is weird because when setting profiles for games why would it apply right away. It should only apply it when the game runs.

anyway…

frame rate seemed to get a tiny bit choppier.

So i then went into the settings and i changed the refresh rate there.

Suddenly my framerate looked like it was getting 15 FPS

I had to turn off PE it was too choppy to continue.

4 Likes

So You’re saying it’s only choppy when PE is enabled?

If that’s the case I wonder if it’s just a difference between settings when not using PE and when using PE?

Having PE enabled (Pimax Home) shouldn’t be the issue as it should be stopped when starting a game.

How do You start the game when PE is not running? Though PiTool (using common or game specific profile) or through SteamVR dashboard?

2 Likes

Hey @drowhunter thanks for the report!

PE should not in any way affect game performance, as it shuts down the same second any game or SteamVR starts. Maybe its a driver issue? You said its a new windows install, did you have the same problem on that install before you tested PE?

PE applies profiles to HMD manually and automatically (also upon game launch if preferred), but thats simply PiTool settings so it doesnt make any difference in performance if you make these settings manually in PiTool instead.

Since a few versions back, PE uses Forward Rendering and 4x MSAA, but thats only enabled by Unity and not in Nvidia settings or anything outside PE. So it should not affect performance.

Im sorry I dont know whats causing your performance drop, but I suspect there might be settings in NVidia panel, Windows, SteamVR or the game itself that you have forgotten to change since your new install.

Btw, turn off the screen saver in PiTool while playing. I have seen weird performance drops when having it enabled in the past. I only use it while coding in Unity and HMD is on all day long.

3 Likes

no what i’m saying is that it started out fine, but as I was changing settings it was getting choppier each change

2 Likes

To be clear i’m not talking about game performance, I was not playing a game. the PE itself was getting choppy every time i made a settings change

2 Likes

This sounds odd. Could it be the MSAA x4 that is too heavy?
What GPU/CPU are you running?
And what settings did you change while this happened?

Thanks for pointing this out!

2 Likes

You haven’t installed any of the known tracking offenders, have You? RGB software like ASUS Aura Sync? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep, that could also be the reason. Wouldnt be the first time that software kills VR :slight_smile:

2 Likes

see above post for settings

and im on a 2080Ti with an i7 4790.

If it happens again i’ll tell you right away.

2 Likes

I have corsair iCue on my keyboard but, i need my rgb :grin:

2 Likes

Not sure if that’s the culprit (don’t think so)… I have Razer keyboard + mouse and no issues with that… :wink:

I think it’s when it’s using the USB bus somehow (I think that’s how motherboard RGB controllers work).

2 Likes

I have iCue as well on my main PC, it doesn’t seem to harm anything nowadays. Think they fixed the previous issues.

2 Likes