PC Build for Pimax 8K

I don’t know how many threads VR games use. But I know it’s more than 2D games because of the VR compositor (so even a single threaded game would need two threads).

The x52 should be fine. I used that on a build in 2016 IIRC and it was fine. Frankly, you’d be fine on a decent air cooler. I just like to vent heat directly out of my case whenever possible.

On SSDs, any game that isn’t shit should be buffering to RAM anything it needs from your harddrive. You would have slightly longer game load times / scene transitions but actually gaming / FPS shouldn’t be bottlenecked by storage speeds.

2 Likes

I’m thinking about giving up HT and buying myself a 9600k. I have full water cooling and intended to overclock it to 5 Ghz. That should give me the same vr performance as a 9900k, shouldn’t it?

edit, oh ok just saw that 9600k has 2 cores less…

2 Likes

That’s why I and others ordered 9700Ks. But, that was two weeks ago and no news on when it’ll ship…

2 Likes

To voodoo´s comparison, 8 cores compared to 6 cores simply mean a lower cpu load with the same performance. Compare the cpu load in the video at the same fps!
(german)

I think I decide for the 8600k exactly because of these results. Even cheaper than the 9600k.

4 Likes

@op Based on all your stats
All 2080ti with tripple fan will do
CPU wise take 6-8 cores 8th or 9th gen.
The resolution of the pimax or Pixelcount will bottleneck the GPU

16GB 3200 MHz RAM is a sweet spot, more is just comfort.
Socket 1151v2 is only dualchannel

Aio cooling substaines better temps even in a warm room.

Basicly this will do. Just dont buy a cheap mainboard a ASRock Taichi or asus equivalent is reliable enough.

Any normal SSD will do the Job.

:smiley:

3 Likes

I’m about to build my rig for Pimax 5k+
Not sure where to start…

1 Like

I think the current rig is where to start. Tell us what you have.

Keep in mind that software updates are likely to decrease the demands of the rig (they already have). They’re still improving fixed foveated rendering and Brainwarp.

I’m waiting until I get the headset. My GPU should is fine for now (1080ti FTW 3), so if I dont get the performance I need I’ll look to changing the CPU, which is my weakest link (i7 3770K).

1 Like

You can start here: https://community.openmr.ai/t/i-built-a-new-pc-for-vr-on-a-budget-kind-of/9823

3 Likes

thanks alot risa2000
on my place i don’t have much options
the best i could get :
CPU : I7 9700k or I9 9900k (likely)
GPU : MSI RTX 2080 ti Ventus(not happy) or gaming X (my wish but out of stock- i can wait)
MB : MSI Z390 gaming adge ac or MSI Z390 ACE (likely)
RAM : Ripjaw 16x2 DDR4 3000mhz or 8x2 withHigher MHZ like 4000
CASE : Genome 2 (watercoling built in)
SSD : 860 EVO 500gb (not bad)
HDD : 4tb
PSU : DQ 750w or 850w !!!

The right way i should go like future proof to spend more or just thats enough !!

2 Likes

With power supply deep dive into specs to ensure single 12v rail has sufficient amperage.

2 Likes

I watch some youtuber with almost same build like 750w and 850w and 1000w

1 Like

You basically topped every single component in your build already, so there is not much to say about starting since you are already in the finish :slight_smile:

I guess the only question worthy considering is Intel vs AMD with an assumption that AMD will release Zen 2 this summer which might beat Intel (I have explained my reasoning about it in detail in my post I linked).

Apart from that I do not expect anything groundbreaking from AMD on GPU front this year, so if RTX 2080 Ti fits your budget it won’t definitely drag you down :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

thanks Heliosurge

Good hint :smiley:

1 Like

You better use @ to address a user than /u/, works better on this forum :wink:

2 Likes

Found a reddit post about it being a cause for rtx failures. One fellow with 1000w psu nogo buddy with 650w ran fine. :flushed:

2 Likes

Thats really makes me happy …thanks man :grinning:

1 Like

Again thanks…i will look into that :grinning:

1 Like

You know my PC like 8 years old and i cant wait any much longer
I been following AMDs things. what can i say (somehow disappointed)

While ZEN 2 around the corner i cant expect much better then I9 ( I mean i will not go wrong with it for some time )
And Navi the more i read about it…its targeting mid range and not something we expect to see soon (October)

NVIDIA 2080 Ti Failures Vs. Power Supply - Reddit

2 Likes

That’s the one. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

2 Likes