Pay more and get both headsets?

Retail models 5k 5k+ 8k no 8k-X. So not odd, 8k-X limited release for R&D.

Additional units were expanded due to the ks needs. The 8k-X was not increased.

Simple to accept. While my cash flow has improved & I might want an 8k-X; I accept what is & it’s not offered as it is a developer release that might eventually be released to consumers. But not now. 400 was & is the capped limit.

So hope for an 8k-X backer to sell their pledge.

It’s why the 8k-X is specifically limited to 400. While I might like to have pledged for one. I missed the boat & will have to hope on a send & upgrade my 8k if happens.

But I hear you. I will at least have a 5k+ to keep my withdrawals to a min. :laughing:

The purchase of an additional HMD hasn’t been offered either unless I missed something… still… doesn’t hurt to ask!

Nah… either Pimax does offer it to KS backers or maybe later as a consumer product later down the road… which I suspect they will.[quote=“Heliosurge, post:21, topic:8574”]
400 was & is the capped limit.
[/quote]

Things change… I.E… 5K+

I think that would be all anyone with any sense of reason could ask for. No extras, nothing but the HMD/PKG at KS price and only after all initial backers orders were filled.

2 Likes

Good idea. If back both then decide.

Yes you can purchase any of 3 in pre order once launches. Discussing here about units are being produced for distrution is different than requesting extra non production units that sre all spoken for.

Considering folks are okay to wait for original backers orders filled. This is more asking for a one time deal on 1 extra pre-orderable headset at special price.

Folks who missed getting in the 400 limited run asked about extra 8k-Xs. 400/400 no extra.

True but if not stated; many will expect it. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

5k+ was an new development that was shared when they didn’t have to & could have released it as a new improved “5k Premium Edition featuring improved displays for +9% sharpness!”

No they chose the community over marketing it as a future product & given backers an uneasy choice. In seeing what is happening as a result they should have shelved the 5k+.

Offered only the 5k & 8k with +$ offer to switch between the original models via either coupon or pay extra to switch to 8k.

Offering the 5k+ has only muddied people’s choice & increased people’s expectations.

1 Like

You know thinking about it a little more… I think the best way to deal with it would be to create a promo code that is sent to each backer that allows them to use it for the pre-order that opens up in Oct., then let the secondary backer units roll into the pre-orders for units that will be coming in from non-backer consumers. Have a promo code and backer number field on the order form page that just discounts the retail price(whenever that is released) to the KS price. This way each is trackable and can be accounted for. Plus, once a code is used it is invalidated and cannot be used again. Tied to backer number also adds to security against fraud…etc. Just a thought on how Pimax could easily do it.

2 Likes

It’s a fact that as it is now, 8K is not what it’s been advertised during the KS campaign and all 8K backers will receive the headset inferior to the advertised product, will it be 8K or 5K+.

I would rather stay with 8K if it can be improved via software to be on par with 5K+, with better SDE. I would be willing to switch to 5K+ if this is impossible. But this can not be answered now.

I think it’s fair if Pimax will give us an option to receive extra 5K+ one way or another. Now, how they can do it is a technical question. I would rather hear from them now, if they are willing to do that in theory, the details can be discussed and agreed later, before the shipping will start.

If 5K+ would have been offered after the Kickstarter there would have been sour grapes from the backers. Think about it, sell off a bunch of older tech to backers then a newer tech to the public? The timing would have been bad and it would cause hard feelings.

Since no one has tested regular 5K outside of Pimax, we can’t say what would have happened. Maybe this exact same scenario with testers recommending the 5K over the 8K. That would have made things even worse with people downgrading from 8K to 5K, and then months later Pimax releases the 5K+ and instantly a majority of the backers hardware is old and obsolete.

Pimax made the best of the situation, and the real problem here is that the 8K does not impress. It has nothing to do with the 5K or the 5K plus. You can’t blame the problems of the 8K on a different headset just because it’s a more attractive offering.

Pimax could do this simply to lessen the stress created by this new confusing option. No extra accessories are required, they are suitable for both, and I don’t think it will slow down production since I don’t expect a lot of people willing to spend $400 more just for their peace of mind. When you’ve given your customers all the possible options, no one can criticize anymore. (but someone will do it anyway)

1 Like

That’s why 6 months after consumer release. That could be in respect to now 1 year from today perhaps delayed to Nov for Xmas/Boxing week rush.

Both are impressive as that’s what the testers have said but prefer the 5k+ more.

@jeroen , count me in with this idea.

@Heliosurge Dan , I with pimax would allow this wish we have , though I doubt they would :frowning:

1 Like

I would probably pay for both headsets