PavlovVR on Pimax Vision 8kX

For Pavlov, just like with any game in the Pimax, the extra peripheral vision will help “track” things, but you still end up turning your head straight at people most of the time. So it’s not like you’re going to strain your eyes to the right/left and aim/shoot, but it’ll help you get that gun aimed at your opponent faster, especially if there are multiple enemies and you want to try to drag the spray from one to the next, etc.

I must say though that I don’t think about FOV too much with the Index, but only when the lenses are as close as possible. With Vive, the need for more FOV would always pop into my mind, even with custom face foam, etc. With Index, I don’t really think about it. I usually move the lenses out when taking it off, so I notice right away if I forgot to bring them back in.

1 Like

that would suck their would be nobody to play with. pimax % of users would be low

1 Like

This sounds like you have low peripheral awareness. Larger FoV simulates more real life even though the FoV is not total. Now there are games where the extra FoV has very little effect due to the game design ie Most Rail shooters. :pi_smiley: :pimax_logo_png:

4 Likes

Of which Players will take advantage of known blindspots.

2 Likes

Don’t have an Index headset.

You could still compare to rift due to limited fov

I disagree with this sentiment. I play almost exclusively roomscale type games and have found the increased resolution of the HP reverb to be a huge factor in terms of immersion. If the 8K X is a similar jump clarity wise, as most people are saying, I wouldn’t call the improvement “slight” or “not as compelling for roomscale”.

3 Likes

@evertec Note, ‘not as compelling’. Still very compelling. RGB subpixels are gone, textures are detailed, edges are sharp, everything feels more real. But the pre-5k+ Oculus/Vive were a mess of haze for me regardless of supersampling.

In seated use, for Virtual Desktop and Flight Sim, the extra resolution is more of a necessity than a luxury.

EDIT: I think it’s also fair to say I am more casual about the roomscale stuff. I can play well enough to be competitive, but it’s just not as important to me.

@Heliosurge A competitive player will be constantly looking around, even if they have to turn their head. Another player close enough to achieve enough angular motion quickly enough to take advantage will be in plain sight at that point. This topic about PavlovVR, and to an extent very closely related games like Onward, so my words are in that context.

1 Like

Sorry brain dead here. I don’t follow what your asking to compare with the fov between what and what? The fov on the Rift is obviously smaller or am I missing the point?

1 Like

True but still the increase in FoV improves detection time.

While pve Arizona sunshine had the complaint of zombies attacking from blind spots due to FoV.

Think of Sims you could just keep moving your head to see mirrors. But with Larger FoV you can shift your eyes slightly requiring less time that it would take to turn your head.

3 Likes

The op was asking about situation awareness on the pimax’s wide fov vs gen1 FoV headset like the Index.

So with your pimax headset say in Arizona Sunshine do you find the increased fov helps with Zombies coming from beside you vs the rift where you can only see forward without turning your head.

1 Like

still the increase in FoV improves detection time

But by how much? And if I am crouching, looking forward, from a front porch, only to realize my adversary has just crawled up around the side of the house, do I really have time to do anything about it?

No. Long before I can stand up, turn, or point, it is already way too late.

In such a situation, what I should have done, is spend most of my time looking and pointing exactly where the most urgent problem could emerge, occasionally checking the surroundings for more distant adversaries.

Even better would be to occasionally venture back to the side of the house, to have a chance of surprising anyone there - instead of the other way around.

The ONLY exception to this has been hiding in a bush, on the ‘Abandoned’ map in Onward. And that only works against newbies. I never would have gotten away with that at close range against experienced players.

1 Like

If were talking tactical advantage between Rift and 5K+ in Arizona because of the fov, I don’t know. When AS stopped working on Pimax I stopped playing it until it came out on Steam. Oculus version ran like a pig on the Pimax until it wasn’t working. Steam version runs great.
My weakness these days isn’t seeing them coming, it’s reaction time when hording begins.
“Not as good as I once was, but as good once as I always was”

3 Likes

Arizona Sunshine is a single player experience, correct?

It can be more than enough time depending on the user. Plus as said people get used to taking advantage of blindspots. If I want a knife kill vs shooting you; utilizing known blindspots is key.

A friend used to get kicked off servers due to them thinking he was cheating due to his reaction times.

2 Likes

An equal highly skilled player must be able to win significantly more often in order for there to be a competitive advantage. I am thinking League finals competence here.

Otherwise, the ‘advantage’ is just becoming a better gamer faster.

Steam vs has online PvP and Co-op.

3 Likes

Of which those already good players will have improved ability due to the increase of FoV reducing notice times. And yes those players could likely beat an intermediate skilled player using an og Vive vs 8kX user as they can hit blurred messes with accuracy.

Now if you want to dampen inhuman game play you need a game to mirror America’s Army with the breathing meter for shooting

Let me be clear. Unless a League finals match is going to be won or lost on account of having Vive or Pimax FOV, it should not be regulated or separated in any way as some kind of ‘unfair’ advantage. And even then, some proportionate leniency should be given to the impact on the playerbase of either being forced to use a narrow FOV headset, or reduced opportunity for effective training due to separation of players with different hardware.

Likewise, hoping to get some kind of ‘competitive edge’ in short-term situations should not be a driving reason to buy a particular headset. That would be very much akin to an inexperienced short distance runner buying all kinds of expensive gear right at the start of working up to a marathon. More than likely quitting in a few weeks.

You likely will have matches seperated due to hardware differences as your using Apples against oranges. Much like some game engines match players up by skill.

More proper comparison would be MMA where itbis divided into weight classes or Racing where requirements are based on eq used.

It was Hardware differences that had og Xbox computer cross play fail as pc master race to kill console players.

A runner buying special shoes and shorts is unlikely to gain any real advantage.