Overreacting to Reactions Discussion

Well no the Retort plugin is end of life so it will be removed soon and you will have to use what is available in the Reactions plugin.

Not at all. I fully appreciate @Axacuatl wisdom and attempts to help community members like yourself.

But you said thumbs down is the same as thumbs up. I give likes all the time to posts I like, so should now also give thumbs down all the time to posts I don’t like, that’s what you’re saying. Just adapting to the Pimax forum etiquette.

I do see you removed the ‘poop’ symbol which I think is a good move. I’d personally say, let’s keep it civil and positive here, discussion can be tense, but no insults, nor thumbs down (I liked what youtube did). But hey you’re the boss and you lay out the rules.

1 Like

Yeah I generally don’t think it’s good when people start insulting on forums. But here it’s ok, just make sure you’re insulting someone whose opinion does not align with Pimax, then @heliosurge will refuse to say anything about it. And thumbs down is the same thing as thumbs up.

It is amazing how at times you choose to manipulate what is said to suite what you want it to say.

I clearly stated that you do not need to have someone respond to you clarifying why you were given a a thumbs down. If you wanted to know you could ask them in a polite dm or politely in public. The thumbs up or down here is more similar to Youtube’s. It simply gives one an idea on whether the community overal finds a post of value or not.

If your not stressing over likes you need not stress about any of the other reactions.

For example you have chosen to dislike my responses to you on this subject. If your the only one to dislike post A while I have 10 likes; then the post likes weight against dislikes speaks for itself.

Now I consider this subject as MODERATOR closed. If you would like to more clarification send me a DM. I really do not want to have use Moderator tools unless absolutely necessary.

I removed the Retort plugin as stated it is end of life and could break the forum as no updates for it. You like everyone can now only react using the like button.

Please go back on topic; Your being very disrespectful to @Atmos topic.

4 Likes

Your right you shouldn’t have taken aims to break the rules yourself by making that discussion personal. Which is against the rules so are suggesting I should take unfortunate actions against both partied that clearly broke the ruled?

As stated do not continue this here take it to dm.

1 Like

Sorry Helio. I understand your point. However, I don’t honestly think removing reactions will do anything to solve it.

People shouldn’t be limited by their ways of expressing themselves. Reactions allow to do that in such a way to indicate some opinion about a topic without necessarily having the need to go into some long-winded ‘potential’ rant or wall of text about the topic.

If people have something further to say on the point, they can follow up with ‘hopefully’ well chosen words.

1 Like

@Djonko

Thanks @Axacuatl now that’s how an impartial moderator should have reacted.

Excuse me here, but I don’t see how this statement from you above is going to be all that helpful.

I suggest that if you have issues with the moderation of these forums, that you take it up offline with the moderators.

Some things are better left unsaid. Personally I just feel this is one of them.

1 Like

I am not referring to remove the Like button reactions but to remove peoples ability to see whom has reacted with a particular or all reaction types.

For example on youtube you can see how many :+1: and :-1: but you do not know who has voted or what direction.

Now the Retort plugin that allowed multiple reactions was scheduled to be deprecated with no further support as it was being replaced by the reactions plugin. It also had a bug that prevented it from being setup to limit what emoji could be used. So I left it configure to allow all emoji. Retort plugin reactions has been removed due to inappropiate useage and the fact it could cause the site to break creating downtime.

Indeed and maybe why it should be considered to make them anonymous to avoid unnecessary drama due to one not liking community member or members not finding there post of value.

If the ‘Retort’ plugin was the one that allowed things like :popcorn: to be placed as a reaction, then.
Well that’s a shame. As, it certainly provided some creativity in the reactions made to posts.
Especially where people didn’t really have anything of note to say. Being regulated to the minimal set and :+1: & :-1: is honestly rather boring… Just because Youtube does someone some way doesn’t mean it has to be exactly that way for others, right?

I guess I’m ok with the anomality of the reaction.

A replacement for ‘Retort’ would be welcome.

1 Like

Mnmmmm… Much as I think one user went into full kicking-in-open-doors mode (just love these situations (‘have been there often, myself) where two people, who are pretty much in perfect agreement with one another, misread each others’ words, and extract from them the opposite of intention :P), and in addition got petty about it; One thing I do agree with that user on, is that if one disagree about something, one should state why, stand for one’s opinion, and not just stealthily downvote.

-It is my main complaint about reddit: There is a voting system intended to sort out posts that are irrelevant; But more… “fervent” users instead abuse it to sweep unwanted truths under the view limit, even in cases when those are the only posts in the thread that have anything whatsoever to do with the topic.

This is also why I personally never up- or downvote anything – If I am going to take on the uncomfortable experience of judging what somebody else has to say, I want to do it “responsibly”, and “respectfully”; There is even a certain “respectfulness” in telling somebody that you think they are an idiot, to their face – infinitely better than pouring poison into their cup whilst nobody is looking.

I will agree that he was only ‘slightly’ defending Pimax’es behaviour of lying with totally incorrect FoV values, since he proposed using horizontal and vertical FoV only, which is indeed WAY better already. Actually the moderator here is the only one who seemed to be totally ok with Pimax supplying extremely inflated FoV numbers. “industry standard” he called it.

1 Like

Seems a bit extreme to just cater to a single user. That said, I do like the idea and I think the reactions available now are sufficient.

For anyone interested, here is the link to the podcast tonight that will have that youtuber talk about the crystal that they received (a CES model): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g_rvrH6Wzw

Will be about 2 hours after this message. I’ll be in bed so hopefully someone can timestamp the relevant part, otherwise I’ll do so in the morning.

Isn’t the index FOV 108? According to Risa2000 it is: HMD Geometry Database | Collected geometry data from some commercially available VR headsets.

That would make it more like a 5-8% difference which I could believe people not realising. That said, that’s assuming the 103 is maxed out, so perhaps it’s more significant like a 10% difference but I suppose that would still be missed with the huge sweetspot maybe convincing folks they are seeing otherwise.

2 Likes

I totally agree to what @jojon said above. Actually it’s more decent to call someone an idiot in his face, than to do that anonymously. I think that’s just really gutless. But anyway, above anything I love democracy so if the majority wants a system like that @heliosurge should fix that up for us.

Sure but most people don’t like confrontation so then you have people ruining an entire forum for everyone and they think that it’s only a small handful that take issue with it. You also have people taking the reactions extremely poorly and then going off on a tangent and targeting people then.

If it was in person then these types of escalations and confrontations wouldn’t happen but because online interactions lose so much nuance and tone then things get misconstrued and people don’t make any real effort to meet eye to eye, so the whole dynamic changes. In real life, definitely say something to someone’s face. But I think there is merit here to anonymous reactions so people can be more open about community driven moderation without fear of being attacked.

Ultimately, the calling someone an idiot to their face should be reserved for PMs. I won’t be touching on this subject anymore as it has went on for the whole day essentially, and it seems to be a recurring thing on this forum more and more often lately. I really like this forum and the discussion here, from all angles and opinions, but it has become unusable. I have had multiple people message asking how do they block people on here so they can use the forum better, not sure why me but apparently others have also received similar.

People have tried to get back on topic here and that has been derailed again. So personally, I won’t be touching anything anymore unless directly related to on topic discussion. I might just move off the forum entirely though if it keeps going like this. I’m sure I won’t be dreadfully missed lol but I will miss the place myself.

Anyway, to get back on topic. It will be interesting to hear what that youtuber has to say. I asked them to specifically let us know the FOV if they can, they haven’t mentioned if they are on NDA or what. Seems like their review is coming next week, I’m guessing we might expect quite a few next week so this will finally be the beginning of the long awaited reviewer cycle. The product will need to be returned to a number of times for updated reviews as more features come out but ultimately these initial reviews will be the most impactful.

Yeah, so then do it anonymously. Like I said, gutless.

Best way to have a topic not derail is just not react to such posts at all. If you reply, like you just did, the other one feels the need to reply again etc etc etc.

Had retort worked properly I could have tailored what emoji could be available.

That being said the Reaction plugin I can add emoji for use and with that your excellent suggestion will add :popcorn: emoji as unlike the :poop: emoji is not inappropiate that may be considered truly immature and offensive.

However we also do not bloat/overload the available emoji reaction set.

I don’t think reactions necessarily mean one is implying that someone else is an ‘idiot’
It may indicate some simple disagreement and the person providing the reaction doesn’t yet have time or has formed the words to provide anything in more depth about the reaction.
Or maybe the reaction is just enough as it stands.

I don’t mind the anonymity of the reaction, as it’s simply just that, and nothing necessarily need be said further.

Of course, I don’t like think people like when their posts get downvoted. Sure, I’d rather not get a downvote too.
I guess I don’t really need to know WHO downvoted me. I’ll just trust that if they have anything constructive to offer, they’ll write out their thoughts to what I say.

That said though, I don’t think it’s necessary for people to simply just downvote someone just on the basis that they don’t like them at all. I mean, if any way to prevent some such abuse like that, I’d be for it.

Votes and reactions should be on a post by post basis IMO.

I am honestly not fussy on reddit’s ideals on there voting system. However if “one” needs to explain say the :-1: then the opposite is true as well. The idea of a reaction system is to reduce bloat of posting oneliners when a a reaction will do as quick response. The thumbs down really shouldn’t be a negative if used.

Otherwise we might as well remove the reactions plugin and ho back to the very bland :heart: like defaults that has no variety. Then folks would be forced to have to reply if they wanted anything other than a “like”.

As the system does not use the scoring negative system like reddit. Honestly there really shouldn’t be ppl over reacting to a :-1: as it can easily be seen if enough ppl react with other emoji has more weight. Much like how it works on Youtube where you can see how many likes and how many ppl disliked a video. To which no one knows whom reacted or what was the result.

Now we have only really had one over reaction to a reaction. Even though there has been other folks that have received a :-1: without inciting unnecessary drama.

1 Like

When was the last time you checked YouTube? Down votes are not shown anymore.
It just created negativity. So they decided its better without that.