Orlando Pimax Roadshow Impressions (8k X, 8k+, 5k Super)

That’s how I recall it.

If the 5K Super has reduced distortion, it’s pretty safe to assume it could be applied to the 5K+. Have we had any comments about the 5KS distortion?

1 Like

I felt there was much more reason to be confident in the 30pixel/deg number for the Pimax 8kX than various numbers for other headsets, actually. IIRC, the calculation was basically vertical FOV divided by vertical pixels.

What fov is used, normal or large?

Not sure about the specific sizes, but I know it was mentioned in one of the YouTube videos that the distortion profile had to be redone due to smaller panels… :+1:

4 Likes

I’ve seen SweViver saying it in two YT vids, and whilst I do not really want to slight anyone’s technical aptitude, I’d really like to hear it, more in-depth, from an engineer, rather than a PR guy, because there are reasons it does not make sense.

2 Likes

Hmm at least that they have redone distortion is here, just like said before and in the Video I also think it was in one Video mentioned that diplay says has changed:

@PimaxUSA where the new Displays 5" and the old 5.5"?

2 Likes

Yeah - One get the impression they keep continuously tinkering to and fro with the profiles, as well as default render resolutions, and various other bits and bobs – probably much, much more frequently internally, than made apparent by releases. :7

2 Likes

I really do find that the 5k+ also really has improved, there really is not much distortion in my eyes - actually nothing I notice while gaming :face_with_monocle::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

He why not another setting in PiTool! :wink: DIY profile adjustment anyone? :wink: Just joking…

2 Likes

And curious minds keep wondering how large part of that is refinements to the profile, and how much is getting so used to the distortion that it becomes our “new normal”. :7

Revert enough versions, and you can plain-text search for the profile in the piserver executable, and presumably alter it, with visible results. :9

1 Like

I’m not sure, I didn’t check.

I’ve noticed it as well, specially while bowing and tilting my head, with the others Pitools/firmware everything was distorted, even in the center. With the last one you can bow your head and everything stays in place

1 Like

Where is the link of the last pitool? I download from website and the firmware updated 2 days ago in my pimax 5k+ and for me i see in lens edges world movement because of distortions ( wobble effect) i dont see any less distortions :frowning:

Just go to the PiTool subsection and look for “Release Notes” posts. Currently it should be that one: https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-1-0-1-253-jan-18-2020/25304
Not sure which version was the last one that reduced any distortions though…

4 Likes

This version i dont have it. I download 17 and this is from 18. I dont know if this fixes any distortions .

It’s possible that your headset needs to be adjusted.

You need to position your eyes to an exact spot in the lens for maximum image fidelity (minimal distortions). Look through your dominant eye (close the other eye) and move the headset up and down, angle it slightly up and down then left and right, pull the headset away from your face, then push it firmly into your face. Keep trying different positions. The goal is to find the absolute best image with the least distortion.

Then repeat with the other eye. Now try to optimize both eye’s views, using the IPD wheel, software IPD, and Vertical Offsets (in that order). You should be able to find configuration that best fits your particular face.

You may need or remove face padding or add a counterweight for best fit and comfort.

2 Likes

And also it could be the game - I have a few that show that…
Also precision of tracking , are you using LH’s?

@SweViver What fov is used for the roadshow?

1 Like

I think it is more likely you have adapted and possibly improved your IPD settings. The first point I’d like to suggest is most people will adapt and tune out the distortion. The distortion does not exist in our immediate forward vision so we learn to see in Pimax so that most of us will tune out the distortion as we become adapted to using it.

The edge distortion people talk about is actually an FOV compression. The FOV gets more compressed to the edges. I’m convinced it is caused by an error in the Pimax software. There are multiple factors contributing to it and perception will vary from person to person and it is something settings effect and it is something that depending on the setting and user can vary from extreme compression with excellent focus to almost no compression with poor focus in the outer peripheral vision. You can even change it from compression to expansion although I would be surprised to find a user with settings so wrong they would experience this in normal use.

Warning, this next experiment can cause eye strain, it causes severe eye strain for me.

If you want to experiment to get the best understanding of what is happening. Set your FOV to Wide in Pitool and make sure your IPD offset is zero, at this point click on the offset slider so you will be able to adjust it with your keyboard arrows while in the Pitool environment. Now enter the Pitool environment and look at the sun, line up the outer edge of your vision with the edge of the sun. Now if your headsets physical IPD is set optimally you should see the sun in focus but compressed. If this outer edge of your vision is not in focus the IPD of your headset most likely does not match your own and for the purpose of the initial stage of the experiment I suggest your physical IPD is set so this area is in focus. We’ll get back to this setting in a moment. Now that you have the edge of the sun lined up with the outer edge of you vision I want you to keep only your outside eye open closing the other and hold the arrows on your keyboard alternating from left to right to go from each extreme IPD offset setting to the other. What you will witness is the sun going from compressed to stretched. Now I have only been able to use the last two Pitools to test this so it may be possible this acted differently in regard to the number I will mention in a moment in previous versions of Pitool and firmware. For me with the current Pitool in 90hz Wide or Normal the IPD offset where there seems to be the least distortion is about -5.5 or -6. Once you are done experimenting with the IPD offset return it to zero and now still looking at the same point with one eye change your physical IPD adjustment from extreme to extreme. What you may notice now is positions of the lens that effect focus in your outer peripheral vision.

This is why some users may say they don’t notice distortion but do notice poor focus or terrible visual quality in this area.

Now I say this distortion is a rendering issue caused by the software as it is changed by the IPD offset slider in a single eye. These settings should never change world scale in this way in a single eye.

Using incorrect settings can almost eliminate the edge distortion/compression but they cause eye strain. Perhaps users can adapt to these incorrect settings but that is for someone else to test I think.

With the altered settings that can eliminate edge distortion your eyes will now be in front of a different part of the lens, this may result in more blurry vision.

Caveat. This experiment caused severe eye strain for me so my vision was affected by the experiment. It may be the case that if I continued with these settings I could adapt and have good vision without edge distortion.

Key points.

• The distortion is still there
  • We adapt to the distortion.
  • The distortion seems to be a rendering issue caused by the software.
  • There are settings that can eliminate or exaggerate edge distortion/compression.
  • The settings that give the least distortion are incorrect and likely to cause eye strain.
  • Vision with the distortion free settings may be blurry.
  • The experiment may cause eye strain affecting the outcome so perhaps the settings should be kept and an adaptation period of a few days be allowed.
3 Likes

Mostly Normal FOV (to get full framerate or as high as possible), but we have also shown Large FOV for many visitors upon request.

6 Likes