Orlando Pimax Roadshow Impressions (8k X, 8k+, 5k Super)

Hi. I’m finally home from the Orlando roadshow. I thought you guys might be interested in hearing some impressions, so here you go.

I’ll start with the 8k X. First of all, it’s sharp. VERY sharp. Probably sharp enough for comfortable Virtual Desktop use. To my surprise, there doesn’t really seem to be any screen door effect. I was expecting a tiny bit, but I didn’t really see any. Maybe a tiny bit, maybe? I don’t know. Comfort was also pretty good with the new MAS. I will say the audio was a bit lacking. The MAS uses speakers instead of headphones, unless you get the Deluxe headphones. Unless they change it before launch, I wouldn’t recommend sticking with the default audio. Moving on, the lenses are good. Pretty sure they’re the same as the other Pimax headsets. Distortion didn’t bother me really.

Okay, now the 8k+. It was good. Less sharp than the 8k X for sure. Again, distortion didn’t really bother me. Uses the same sort of MAS, so comfort is good and default sound is meh. Not a ton to say about this headset since it has the same screens as the 8k X. SDE was the same as the Pimax 8k X, meaning there is pretty much none.

Finally we have the 5k Super. The FPS on the setup they were using didn’t seem to be super high, but I think the menus were a bit smoother. Perhaps I’m not as sensitive to refresh rate in VR. The SDE was very little, but still there if you looked for it. It used a MAS so comfort was good, but audio was coming from the laptop on this setup. Overall it’s good. Probably a good option if you’re into high refresh rate stuff. Maybe Beat Saber enthusiasts would like it.

Well, that about sums up the headsets I tried. I talked to Kevin a bit and heard some stuff. Brain warp 2.0 in next Pitool. IIRC dynamic foveated rendering is wanted as a day one feature for eye tracking. The venue was nice. Not a ton of people, which was fine by me. People were nice, and helped me try the headsets. I also noticed what was probably a Pimax Artisan on a table. It had NOLO tracking, and interestingly it had Pimax 4k headphones. I asked Kevin if the Artisan included headphones, and the answer was yes if you buy the NOLO bundle. Welp, that is just about everything. If you have any questions just ask and I’ll try to answer them. I’m in Sweviver’s Orlando meetup #2 vid. I’m the dude with too much hair and a blue jacket.

25 Likes

You can tell the difference between the 8kx and the 8k+? From a scale 1 to 10 how sharp is the 8kx compared to the 8k+

3 Likes

@SweViver @PimaxQuorra Guys since the definitive MAS hasn’t come out yet, let’s put pressure on Pimax to change those terrible headphones. It is not possible that MAS costs more than DAS with headphones that everyone says are poor.

It was easy to understand that they are a copy of the Rift-S that everyone knows how to suck.

Pimax please change the standard headphones, put those of 4K rather … do as on the Vive Pro … and Deluxe make more professional headphones.

The only advantage of that type of headphones is that they do not touch the ears of those who do workouts in VR sweating a lot … but this type of player maybe make more sense on 5k Super with 180hz

1 Like

MAS cost more than DAS? I don’t think so! It cost $100 to upgrade to DAS. The problem is i thought i am supposed to get both MAS and DAS when I upgrade and i can switch back and forth. I do like MAS being off the ear.

1 Like

MAS cost 129$ + tax, DAS 119 $ tax included.
100$ it’s the price of upgrade to Deluxe Audio not of MAS

M: Modular
A: Audio
S: Strap

You make confusion DAS it’s sold by HTC Vive not by Pimax

3 Likes

There’s both a Vive DAS and an upcoming Pimax DAS.
Pimax won’t ship with the Vive DAS, they just used it at the shows.

But I dont mean that.

In another discussion here some call them:

S-MAS (Standard)
D-MAS (Deluxe)

I did a logical comparation between price of a DAS Vive and a S-MAS

4 Likes

I was under the impression it was.

MAS. standard (Speakers above ear)
Ear module. that can attach to MAS to make it the MAS Deluxe.
MAS Deluxe. has ear module already attached (assembled)
?

There seems to be only one way to get Deluxe audio, order it together with MAS. Maybe is not possible to order only the Deluxe speaker to be mounted on the standard MAS.

Deluxe cover the ear

https://community.openmr.ai/t/will-the-deluxe-headphones-be-available-for-purchase-individually/25182/60?u=drwilken

2 Likes

Should we make a dedicated thread for the MAS speculation? I see the same issue is now spreading on over various other threads.

@MReis @Heliosurge @DrWilken

Edit. Actually there is one already.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/will-the-deluxe-headphones-be-available-for-purchase-individually/25182

8 Likes

thanks for the impressions. The 8kx definitely sounds like a real winner

2 Likes

I was at the Orlando event as well and tried out the 8KX. I tried Beat Saber, the Lab, a flight simulator, and Skyrim. My overall impression was that the 8KX is awesome. Honestly, going from a 5K+ the experience isn’t exactly mind blowing, as the FOV is one of the most impressive things about a Pimax. Now, that’s not to say it wasn’t impressive. The sharpness is fantastic, and it’s honestly what we all want from these headsets. A smooth, clear, and precise image. I could see details in the games that I certainly couldn’t see on the 5K+. It really felt more like a phone screen, and really made everything have more of a visual pop. Colors were rich, and vibrant. Menus for games looked incredibly sharp. Beat Saber looked stunning, and extremely vivid. Skyrim looked incredible (although the trees at a distance still shimmered, but I think that’s the old engine/LOD settings). The Lab although extremely dated still looked great. Standing on the mountain in the lab looked absolutely fantastic, and almost felt real. The comfort is just like everyone has said, it’s great. It finally felt like the headset is part of your head, and not something just hanging on it. Playing games with motion will be much better with the MAS and comfort kit to comfortably hold the headset in place. Performance honestly surprised me, as I never noticed a difference of the lower hz compared to my 5K+. As far as audio, it’s true the MAS audio is lacking. I was in a quiet environment and could hear the quality of the audio. The audio is quite “tinny”, and lacks good depth or bass. It would work well in a party environment with friends, but no so much in a private session where you want full immersion. That’s not to say it won’t be improved, it is after all still being worked on I believe so perhaps it’ll get better. I currently would recommend the deluxe audio option however. The MAS strap itself seemed pretty good, and it has adjustments on the back pad to tilt based on different head shapes and placement. Overall, I was quite impressed. The 8KX is a solid improvement over the 5K+, and if someone is trying it out or upgrading from a Rift or Vive, they will be absolutely mind blown. To me, it felt like the headset we all wanted from the get go. I kept thinking about all the VR games I have installed at home, and how freaking awesome they are going to be once my 8KX arrives. (Let alone how amazing Half Life Alyx is going to look!! :open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:) Thank you @SweViver and @PimaxUSA for showcasing the products here in Florida. I’m glad I got to meet you and experience the 8KX, although now it’s going to make my wait even tougher! :joy::weary:

24 Likes

Pasting in here just in case anyone misses them:

First guy really likes it. Second guy is really hyped.

Third guy in second video has 5K+ and 8K, really interesting comments from him. Says distortion is really gone and really likes the comfort kit.

Crazy thing is multiple people say that the resolution is so good it feels like looking at a computer monitor.

9 Likes

Looking at Orlando video i have seen that Pimax 8K + has beautifull led green stripe
instead the Pimax 8K X new metal finish the camera did not show almost any colour
from distance or the green light is … very faint when pimax 8k x is on

Watch video 2 of @sweviver to see the difference between pimax 8k plus and X

Is this an issue or something they need to improve or a missed adjustment ?

Some pictures I took at the event.

17 Likes

The 8KX has the metallic silver chevron, but when you go into PiTool you can change the color. It’s not a bright light like the other headsets, but it’s actually pretty cool looking and you can still tell it’s green/blue etc. Honestly I wasn’t crazy when I heard the new headsets were going to be blue a couple months ago, but once I saw them in person they look quite good. I especially like the silver chevon. While it’s not the bright Tron appearance, it looks classier or more sophisticated I‘d say. The new headsets also feel amazing :smile: The exterior coating makes them feel like a premium product for sure.

10 Likes

Did somebody try pavlov on the pimax 8kx with a nice custom map and fast movement?

2 Likes

When I arrived a guy was playing a military shooter (It was definitely one of the main VR tactical military games) I’m not sure if it was Pavlov, but it looked great and was running well.

4 Likes

Posted copy in Spotlight Reviews.