Original SMAS Quality Topic

It is no excuse. Please don’t put me in a positiom of needing to moderate this topic further.

If folks want this topic kept clean please flag the posts off topic.

11 Likes

I recommend the professional innovation method Design Thinking through the multiple iterations on the 8KX lineup. We’ve had incredible results with that. Might help Pimax in the future. Make sure no CEO or anyone from Controlling may meddle with it. And follow through, then such happenings like the existence of SMAS become a thing of the past.

I wonder if the older headsets and their weaker outputs leading to the kdmas’ limitations could benefit from a simple $30 battery powered inline headphone amplifier… means wearing/attaching something while you play, but might be a simple thing to try when the first people get their audio straps if they’re unhappy with the sound output.

1 Like

Should work as the VR Ears uses a built in Headphone ampifier.

2 Likes

May be a problem if you use also other headsets like Quest (with Oculus Link).

Agreed. I don’t care about audio much but from experience I know this can’t be good enough even for me.

On the other hand not everyone wants to pay for DMAS/KDMAS. I was already forced to buy new wireless audio solution for 5k+ (because audio jack did not work correctly there) so I don’t want to spend on another one.

I would prefer option for DMAS and NOTHING. And to be able to use my own headphones. SMAS will most likely end up just as useless waste.

2 Likes

I disagree. Aside from the encouraging results of the frequency response graphs, even as someone who usually cares a great deal about audio quality, there are definitely times I want the VR headset not to have things like earmuffs that could get in the way. Sometimes, I really want to be able to take the headset off and put it on again quickly and easily.

I look forward to trying both solutions for the specific situations they may be best suited to.

1 Like

Quest audio also was great for some cases like demonstrating hmd to others or for cases when you want to play something quick, comfort is great. It’s also better to have something to start playing if you don’t have any audio xtal and starvr one and og vive have no audio, here we have an ability to mod audio with own solutions - screw another capsules instead of smas chambers. Don’t know why everybody so worried about smas.

Anyone noticing high static noise when using headphones with the 8KX ? I tried disconnecting the standard speakers and plugged in my HyperX gaming headset. There’s really bad static when maxing out the volume. It’s dead silent once directly connected to my PC… I’m getting a bit worried if this also will become a problem with the deluxe drivers. With the SMAS built-in drivers you barely notice it as they are not loud enough…

Edit: This was never a problem with the 5k+
Edit2: Found this, which fixed the issue for me as well:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/audio-issue-when-plugging-in-another-audio-source-to-8kx/31767/4

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.