Original SMAS Quality Topic

Thus far, the reviews do not seem to be suffering much for lack of this documentation. That said, it does need to be done, and I still plan to get to it. I have had limited time for VR development lately, due to being overwhelmed by hitting every possible obstacle on finishing up an unusually urgent hardware design project.

Audio quality is somewhat subjective. Users who care a lot about bass or maximum loudness may consider KDMAS performance slightly worse than some other headsets. Users who care about flat treble response (that would be me) will likely be very impressed by all three versions based on the response graphs IIRC.

As quoted, Kevin said that kdmas is on ear like DAS and dmas is off ear like index. Let’s wait and see…

1 Like

Whatever customers want, high-end studio quality is not feasible for small sales at a low price.

At some point, when millions of HMDs might wander across the table.

We will see if we can put up some photos of the final DMAS and KDMAS hopefully the week of the 17th.

5 Likes

@Fresco posted this a few days ago.

I also added it to this wiki post.

3 Likes

If you try to sell good /best products why you bring products with less sound quality to the market?

7 Likes

After reading the reviews from various Users so far it sounds like the SMAS is definitely not good enough to be the default audio solution for your flagship product. It would make a lot of sense to change the default audio to the DMAS for the 8KX once it is available.

9 Likes

I think, the simple SMAS is the solution for people, who want use his own highend Headsets. Personally I would never make an downgrade of my Sennheiser.

1 Like

If this is for the availability for people to choose. I had cancelled my order for smas. Sound quality, no screws, delivery time. And I like good Sennheiser sound too.

1 Like

I have screwed old used HD25 Capsules on my Vive DAS.
For my Job, i must replace the capsules after some years of use.
To old for Studiowork, but for Gaming ideal. :grin:

3 Likes

I’m a big sennheiser fan myself, wearing a pair even as I type this. My daily driver is the GSP600, upgraded from the 363D. The old one was the longest lasting daily driver piece of electronics I’ve ever used.

4 Likes

and then comes valve, with an 120HZ Cutoff :rofl:

Does it really matter? If the included sound is so bad that people are removing the audio strap to mod on a vive strap on a 1300$ device don’t you think there’s an issue? What’s even the point of the smas then? Alot of people would rather have nothing there so that they could properly wear headphones than this audio solution. It really upsets me that you have to understand what people are talking about but your playing dumb about it.

9 Likes

That is precisely the good thing about the SMAS. The speakers offer basic functionality, but can also be easily removed. if you want the complete solution, DMAS and KSMAS are there for you.

The speaker system is designed so you can easily remove the assembly and replace it. Hopefully even more options than we already offer will become available. But once they do you can change over to those with no tools or mods required.

I think the cool thing about the MAS is you can easily change the foams, speakers even years from now to whatever your liking is. We even already allow two options on the face cowling with the standard and the comfort kit version.

1 Like

Aah, good old sweep-under-the-carpet move, again.

2 Likes

Hardly it is in this thread.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/original-smas-quality-topic/29909?u=heliosurge

Now as requested let’s keep this topic on track.

3 Likes

Yep - ripped out of the discussion it was - uncomfortably to some - contextually part of, and sequestered where it can languish, leaving the thread it originally belonged to, and made sense in, “cleaned”.

Why call this out now, in particular? Nothing in particular - just can’t irresponsibly keep giving the practice a pass in perpetuity.

2 Likes

Please continue the Topic where it was moved as the Title doesn’t hide anything.

All this move does is allow @Genesis topic to be kept clean for those whom would like to discuss his review and mods that improved his experience with the 8kX. He clearly states he is not shall I say impressed by the SMAS.

The Moved posts deserve there own stand alone topic to highlight the issues.

8 Likes

(QED)

That’s the usual excuse.