ONE Valve Base Station 2.0 Placement for Seated 8k x

I have “blind spot” with the Tracking. I sit about 120cm from the wall and my head while seated is about 105cm from the floor.

When I place the 8k X on my lap or I move my head forward close to the center monitor, it loses tracking. I have to hold it up and head height to get it tracking again. if I put 8k x on the floor behind me and to the left, it tracks.

Might have to try different placements for the Valve LH again.

I tried a placement of 140cm left and 80cm from the front wall. In this placement the headset tracked while on my lap.

2 Likes

@MrAhlefeld has a tool that may help with placement.

1 Like

@MrAhlefeld What is the tool that might help with placement?

1 Like

I use three-station seated for MSFS2020, and I am very curious to see this tool too.

1 Like

Found it

https://community.openmr.ai/t/who-has-stable-lh-2-0-tracking-on-8kx/31984/410?u=heliosurge

1 Like

Great Utility! I have one Valve Base Station 2.0, Where does the Green Beam need to be? How do you set it up properly?

1 Like

For this @twack3r and @MrAhlefeld can give more guidance.

I went to the link and read this:

Check Base Station positioning

Base Stations should be aimed and angled toward the center of the play area. In the ideal setup, Base Stations should be above head height (at least 6.5 feet / 2 meters), angled down by 30-45 degrees, positioned no more than 16 feet / 5 meters apart, and place opposite one another in separate corners of the play area. Make sure your Base Stations are mounted or set on a solid surface that isn’t prone to vibration or movements - bumps and vibrations can cause tracking problems.

I use the 8K X with one Valve 2.0 BS for Sim Racing, so I’m in a seated position with my head about 110cm from the floor.

How High and what Distance should the Base Station be in my situation then?

2 Likes

I placed mine at 12 o.clock, 7 feet height and 6 feet away (too close can upset tracking). Unlike the 360 degree with 1 base station claim Pimax made during the KS, I found coverage only about 250-270 degrees but that is fine for seated racing. But you can occlude flight sims if you like to check your six physically.
That said, I bought a used Vive for bases and controllers long before the KS hmds shipped because it became clear the BS2 was going to be delayed. I had intended on selling it but it the end chose to keep it and use the 2x BS1s instead.

edit: changed the range figures. did the math wrong lol

1 Like

Wish I could place mine at the 12 O’Clock position but the wall is to close to my rig in my bedroom. So I’ve placed it to the left of it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.