Omni One, the new Omni for the home

Anyone would like to share their thoughts compared to the katvr mini or similar?

https://mailchi.mp/e21cb4d5347b/gen-omnione-announce-fr35adv4-1075896?e=3357b4eb4d

3 Likes

Looks good but I would still think there’s too much friction (making it feel weird).

That said, I haven’t tried any “treadmill”. Wouldn’t it be just as good/bad as the KatVR mini?

3 Likes

I’m just waiting for when the guy on this forum or others makes a consumer version of his walkable VR shoes. We’ve already seen promising prototypes.

Glad I didn’t buy a Katwalk C. VR treadmills are not the future. Shoes are.

4 Likes

I prefer Kat walk C I know the software… only dubt is walk back is not natural. But kat walk C is more compact than omni I use Kat loco, it’s very nice

4 Likes

You already have the Kat Walk C?

2 Likes

No, I only have “Kat loco”. the software is the same of Kat walk C. I’m looking all model and for a “normal” house I think Kat walk C will be the best. Good and compact. I like the new Omni model. but It’s look so big for my space.

2 Likes

What do you think about the Kat Loco? I have looked into it multiple times but have not made the jump due to lack of reviews online. How does the “walk/run in place” feel? If you move in real time instead of doing the “run in place” does it mess with the software of work normally like it should? Does walking slow and or running fast transfer smooth? Sorry for all the questions…

BTW since it was brought up. I tried the original OMNI at a tradeshow back in the day (the one with the hard ring around your waist holding you in place), and personally I thought it was terrible. Movement did not track well (walking and running worked half the time) and it did not feel natural at all (you have to lean against the plastic circle to move in the direction you want to go…basically walk at an angle. It was very new at the time though. Hopefully this Omni One model will be different.

1 Like

I try to explain, sorry I’m not good with english. Before buy it you can simulate the movement and look if you feel good. For example I have the cybershoes too, but is more difficult. For me Kat loco it’s more easy and not need much power. About the software it’s natural, of course is not perfect but work and of course you can set senibility for each game. What actualy don’t like is the back movement, because is not like kat walk, and lateral movement too. you must move the feet and wait a little bit. It’s difficult to explain but if you search all official video you can understand. And the end what don’t like is that I want to walk in one direction and look into another. In the software there is a option for indipendent body and head direction, but don’t work. I’m waiting answer from kat, so in conclusion it’s a natural movement (the fast movement of only track pad is not natural) but often need some “correction” position then I use kat loco + touch pad

3 Likes

Thank you for the quick explanation.

2 Likes

tenor

1 Like

You might want to have a look at this fantastic channel for locomotion

3 Likes

I think what might be different of the omni one is that they claim they will offer their own games that use their locomotion system. About the quality of these games? who knows…

3 Likes

Do u use katloco with 8kx/5k+
Which pitool?

Actualy I have 5k+ but next monday arrive the 8kx (I hope!!!) Pitool of course is always the last version

1 Like

because of your statement I reinstalled the katvr software. there is still the problem of headset tracking being interrupted every 10 seconds / lag or whatever it is called. If I close katvr it run smooth.
if u can, please move the hmd all the time and look in fpsvr or steamvr for frame times. is there a big spike yellow or red after 10s?
If so then close katvr and make the same test moving the hmd and look for spikes.
Edit:
I do some testing with different pitool versions. Thanks @Heliosurge for your download section.
Katvr is stable till pitool 1.0.1.245 all version after this have the problem.
My specs:
I7 7820x
64gb
RTX Titan
8kx/5k+
base station htc vive 1.0
Index controller
Kat Loco software version 1.3.3

1 Like

I just done some test with some games and kat loco, 5k+ and last pitool… No problem. now I re-done the waiste calibration and the lateral movement is very good, you can turn your body right and walk right like your head look in another direction at same time. Very happy ; My pc is i7 with 2080ti. no lag or interruped

1 Like

since you are the only one who also uses kat Loco. I’ll take a video of what I mean and send it to you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.