OMG the strap is awful how do you get to fit?

https://community.openmr.ai/t/vive-das-with-pimax-5k/14239/2

3 Likes

I have a 3 year old but not sure if I should let him play

Lol, well this didn’t work either. Tried both the Pimax 4K headstrap and the 5K+ but there isn’t enough slide space for it to go to ear position

I also have normal earphones but it has a supidly long sturdy cable

3 Likes

Correction, it’s not all that bad really. It sits a bit at the very front of the ears but sound is good. I’m gonna try this out for some while.

Now to get the right ear to work…

1 Like

Ok checked some things and what we need is a stereo to 2x stereo splitter and we’re good.

The Pimax 4K outputs stereo on either side and the ear pieces have stereo+mic plugs but work like a stereo too.
So the stereo to 2x mono splitter I got was passing the tip as left channel but also passing the other tip as right channel while the right ear piece wants to connect a section lower, which is now ground in the mono female plug.

So I’m ordering a stereo to 2x stereo 0.2meter cable and this will work

2 Likes

LOL My massive drawer of cables did not disappoint. Had a stereo splitter in there and bingo! Works!

4 Likes

Can you post pics of the “contraption” Thanks!

I did:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/omg-the-strap-is-awful-how-do-you-get-to-fit/15510/24?u=pimel

I shall name it: DER FRANKENPIMAX

3 Likes

Bonus shot of the non-disappointing cable drawer

4 Likes

I was expecting entrophy but your drawer is quite neat. :+1: :smile:
Maybe the backend of the 4K strap can be used to divert pressure from the face to the forehead.
A mix between the comfort mod and the halo strap designs but with the speakers attached you’d probably not have enough space.
Would love to try it, but my hmd is still days away.

1 Like

I work with what I’ve got. But I don’t see how that back part can help at the front really

The drawer organization is the result of tinkering so much as a younger me and accumulating dozens of cables while often needing one but having to search for it for hours. Then I came across an online life hack with the toilet roles and my life has been perfect ever since

3 Likes

To me it looks like the straps are made for each other, let me outline my crazy plan.

The side straps will attach to either A or B, don’t know yet what’s more practical. I’ll also experiment with counter weights if necessary.

Edit: now with added central bank support

3 Likes

Do you mean using both headstraps at the same time?

1 Like

Yep, it’s just an addon the default 5K strap, I’ll make a picture as soon as I have my hmd.
For attaching the 4K strap to point A, I’m thinking of using safety pins, zip ties, duct tape or the twisting wires that come with network/usb/etc cables(MacGyver style)
Other than that only an additional short velcro strap is required between the hmd and the 4K backend part.

1 Like

I tried to do something with that 4K back part to the forehead but it didn’t really do anything worth developing imo. It did fit well to the forehead though

1 Like

With the center of mass so far ahead of the face, it’ll take some experimenting to ease the pressure, if it can be done.
Ideal but not achievable:
pimax%20-%20weight%20dist

1 Like

After having my design buerau go through several iterations and stealing toys from children for prototypes …
pimax%20-%20crane%20mod%203
I’ve done these unspeakable things to my headstrap
pimax%20-%205k%204k%20mod%201
pimax%20-%205k%204k%20mod%202
pimax%20-%20balance%202 pimax%20-%20balance%201
pimax%20-%20counterweight%20flail%20mod
So far so comfortable. Light is bleeding through the nose gap but that doesn’t take away from hanging out in my VR office in the Maroon Bells.
Fire away and be merciless. All rights reserved of course :sunglasses:

5k+ i presume? :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

Correct but I am only an early baker not backer :smile:

3 Likes