OMG the strap is awful how do you get to fit?

Hi Guys, glad (ish) to finally be a 5k+ owner but my biggest problem (out of a long list unfortunately) is the strap. Can’t seem to find a way to get it to work, while I’m wearing it I can feel it slipping down but if i tighten the top strap then that make it worse because it pulls the bit at the back of head up and off and I can tighten the side straps anymore without it destroying my nose.

The problem seems to be that it has no structure compared to the oculus strap which is quite nice.

Any tips?

3 Likes

Some folks have increased foam thickness…

The strap is ok for me as the headset rests on my cheek bone and not my nose

1 Like

You might want to consider the “Comfort Strap” mod. I bought one and it is well-made, but my headset has not yet arrived, so I haven’t been able to test it. In retrospect, I wish I had gotten the slightly more expensive model with the slits in the strap (for the Vive) since I could potentially use the comfort strap with the deluxe head-strap (with earphones) in the future.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/new-comfort-mods-for-pimax-head-strap-available-to-buy-now/13972?u=neal_white_iii

2 Likes

I used some sewing velcro strips and glued them back to back with double sided tape onto thin foam like material , and have inserted the velcro padded strips to the left and right side of the nose which takes the pressure off my nose and gets the angle of the display good for my face shape
Works for me , did it without velcro first but the cushioning moved all over the place

2 Likes

Buy from this site https://www.studioformcreative.com/#

2 Likes

Quick and simple adjustable head strap that doesn’t want to cut your ears off and no elastic squishing your face
Made from a very cheap adjustable cycling helmet £7.99 and some (sewing ) velcro strips with double sided tape , Almost as comfortable to wear as the vive pro
Now to integrate some headphones

Bloody cheapskate just buy a DAS
what £100 for a temporary headstrap

9 Likes

Since we’re getting a DAS from Pimax too I don’t want to spend such a big amount of cash on it.

1 Like

Any Pimax 4K owners here that use the audio strap from the 4K?

We need a audio cable adapter that splits stereo into two mono but should be a good solution, no?
They simply slide onto the velcro strap

Something like this but the cable length to the other side might be an issue here

1 Like

Good idea, I’m not in love with the 4K speakers but at least they don’t electrocute me like my earbuds do from time to time :smile:.

I’ll cannibalize what is rest of my 4K strap and turn it into a cheapo addon to the 5K strap just like Davobkk’s much more professional mod. The mod should work better with a rigid strap like the DAS though.

1 Like

I hate ear buds, my ears expell them without warning often

3 Likes

I would go for the Vive DAS, worth the 100 bucks for me :wink: (i will upgrade my “attachment solution” with 3D prints soon)

2 Likes

5k+ backer or pre order?

5k+ Backer 4.7k from germany :wink: recieved yesterday 20th feb

1 Like

@anon74848233 please add to earlybackers

I tried this with that same “Y” and sadly it didnt work. If you look at the male plugs on the P4K speakers they are stereo but with another ring. Im suspecting this extra ring is playing havoc with everything. I could only get one speaker to work :unamused:

1 Like

Oh damn, I ordered a splitter cable like this just yesterday. Ah well

The third ring is the mic line.

4 Likes

Yeah but it doesn’t work for mic. I tried a 3 ring plug to test.

2 Likes

It’s a mic line in normal use but this just means they put a 4 way jack in the headset and maybe drive the left and right channels via firmware.

Can someone check if normal headphones produce stereo sound when plugged into either of the Pimax 4K sides? I reckon they will. So I guess the ear pieces are wired to one or the other channel.

This would also mean a male stereo to 2x female stereo Y splitter would work

I’m going to try with the mono cable that just came in. If only one side doesn’t work I might be able to cut open the female plug and rewire something so contact is made with the correct ring, however I need to do that. I was a MacGyver fan, it’ll work.

2 Likes