OMG Fixed foveated rendering

What is this witchcraft ?
Seriously, some may not enjoy fixed foveated rendering as I know I tend to look around a lot with my eyes in the Pimax because of it’s outrageous fov.
I am baffled as to how they got it to work though, as as far as I know the game you are playing is sending that signal to the output device and this would need to be implemented at the game engine level. Witchcraft I say. I’d love someone brighter than myself to explain how this works ? please :slight_smile:
If they have managed to do this at driver level then we are indeed one step closer to foveated rendering with eye tracking in all games :sunny:

4 Likes

I agree with all that.

I don’t get it either.

And I’m still sceptical that the computer can respond as quickly as saccades.

Having said that I suppose the computer does respond instantly when turning in a game so I’m probably way off the mark here.

1 Like

From the way I have understood it, it’s basically supersampling the central area where you look whilst undersampling the peripheral. I always thought of foveated rendering and it’s gains coming from GPU driver level or more likely game engine level. So this is kind of a way to improve performance in the HMD only through the Pimax driver instead, it’s a good idea but this is for fixed foveated rendering at the moment. It remains to be seen whether they can move the screen sampling about at the speed of your pupil, seems like a lot of heavy math, and eyes are very fast:)

Yes! this is what my feeble mind understood. So it could be used for all games?

Yeh if it’s just a supersampling algorithm it should work on everything. Fingers crossed :slight_smile:

So think of it like this. The lens is super clear on the center and becomes less so as you move out towards the edges until you get to the end.

Without FFR, the computer thinks “Hey, the person can see perfectly everywhere on the screen, let’s treat everything the same.”, with FFR the computer is told “Hey, this is where the person can see perfectly, in this area it can see kinda clear, and here not clear at all”.

The computer then focuses a lot in the central area and cares about the edges only as clear as the lens could possibly be to save power.

Until you get eye tracking modules, it treats the entire lens like an eye.

When you get eye tracking, it then applies the same concept to your eye based on where you are looking.