Okay i bought the RTX 4090.So i skip the new pimax headsets for now it has taken to long with some info about 12k and the pimax chrystal about release etc etc.Let see how much new life the rtx 4090 can breath in my Pimax 8kx

Okay i bought the RTX 4090(I hope i get it tommorow or saturday).So i skip the new pimax headsets for now it has taken to long with some good info about the 12k and the pimax chrystal about release etc etc…

Let see how much new life the rtx 4090 can breath in my Pimax 8kx coming from my RTX 3090.

Maybe in the future someday i will get a new pimax headset again but it will be a long time for now after this invesment…
When i tested some games i will let you know how it performs vs my rtx3090

1 Like

There’s definitely a point to this. In my testing, the objectively measured resolving power of the 8KX continued to rise at a steady rate even above 100% rendering resolution and Pitool Quality 1.0. I could only test it up to 190% before something was breaking in the rendering pipeline because the image was just too large (7056x4356 per eye was the largest successful test).

This is part of why I keep saying “native resolution” is not a thing for VR headsets. The choice of resolution that represents 100% is arbitrarily chosen and there is nothing special about it. The higher you can crank the rendering resolution, the better the clarity gets.

On a Valve Index, this tops out at about 150% resolution on its scale. On the 8KX, I haven’t been able to find a cap due to testing limits. But going from 120% to 190% improved resolving power another two lines on the chart, and that’s not insignificant. At a guess, it probably tops out at about 250% where it wouldn’t make any more measurable difference above that.

The upshot is that the more powerful GPU you can drive the 8KX with, the better the 8KX gets. So a 4090 can be expected to breathe new life into the 8KX.

2 Likes

So it arived today the rtx4090 !

I did get some realy nice performance boost in most games…

The old game starwars squadrons was never realy good(struggled even on my rtx 3090) but now with realy high settings its a real treat on 90 hz normal field off view …

And into the radius on large field off view a blast ! i cranked the resolution ingame to 140% and steam on 100 % runs like a dream…

The only game that acted realy strange was saints and sinners, the performance was somehow worse then on my rtx3090?

Also tried green hell but that game is realy realy bad optimised and a rtx 4090 doesnt help…

But what i can say the rtx 4090 brought indeed some new life in my pimax 8kx…

Subnautica also great now on normal field off view on 90hz…

Skyrim also a amazing boost with all mods…

1 Like

And some more tests,dont laugh but i tried pavlov on a certain map from the map maker father, called lost jungle.(he makes amazing maps)

My rtx 3090 struggled on this map with alot of reprojection on normal field off view at 100% steam vr sampling. But now with the rtx4090 on large field off view and 140% steam sampling it runs great !

Ingame everything on ultra because its realy good optimised…

there’s a max res setting in SteamVR that limits to ~4300 vertical… but I changed it to 8K and it didn’t actually work…

1 Like

tried medal of honour also now(also a older game), a big boost in fps and alot smoother now against my old rtx 3090 !

1 Like

i can run green hell maxed out, on large fov, with 100 percent res, it stays over 60 fps constantly , its awsome.

I want to run 90fps and with the frame dips to lets say 75 its stutters…

What pitool and firwmare are you using? I have a 4090 and 8kx and can’t get the pitool to detect it. 10936 error like the DP cable is busted, but worked just fine. I also have the 8kx v1 which supports 60 and 75hz.

i have pitool 1.0.1.280,firmware 2.1.255.299

mine does that not, its smooth as butter.
I run native in the highest frame mode :wink:
i got a prefkit mod on it, not sure if it does a thing or two.

1 Like

Are you running in open xr or steam?

Well crap. Me too. Are you using the new 8kx version or the old?

The old 2075 version