Oculus Quest Gets Dynamic Fixed Foveated Rendering To Balance Quality & Performance - Maybe a feature for PiTool also?

Dynamic Fixed Foveated Rendering means the headset will choose level based on performance:

Maybe we could get an “auto” level in PiTool for choosing FFR level based on GPU frametime and utilisation?

3 Likes

This is a good suggestion that also should be easy to implement.

1 Like

Not sure it’s that simple with BrainWarp (Smart Smoothing) also in play but I’m sure they can pull it off… :wink:

As I understood “PiMax Day ?”, FFR will be possible with eye tracking module. While, when the computer knows where you are looking at, it can precisely render your hot spot / main area of view.

1 Like

That’s Dynamic Foveated Rendering.

This is still Fixed Foveated Rendering with Dynamic in front where the “dynamic” part just means it will adjust the level of (fixed) foveated rendering (switch between “conservative”, “balanced” and “aggressive” in PiTool terms).

2 Likes

I wonder if they could implement this frame rate amplification technique as well:

1 Like

Isn’t that more or less the “180Hz (2x90) BrainWarp 2.0” they talked about earlier?

EDIT: Actually, that was showing 1 frame in left eye, and then one in right, right? :slight_smile:

P.S. I only read the first few lines of the abstract part… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I think this one is more one frame low res, one high.

37-49% performance boost with minimal artifacts/image degradation sounds great!

I got it from blurbusters:

1 Like