Obduction 1.8.0: Promising Update (PP no longer needed)

FYI - There was a big update to Obduction Yesterday :slight_smile:

Just tried it to see if the shadow issue and/or PP was fixed but I don’t get any visuals at all on the Pimax, just “black” background (I do see the world moving on the monitor when I move the headset though)… :frowning:

UE4 upgrade to 4.21.2

• New saved game path location for Mac users - this change is being handled by the UE4 engine and not Apple’s macOS (*see additional notes below). Save games and config files are now stored in: library/applicationsupport/epic/obduction

• Performance improvements

• VR Improvements:

• Ability to backstep while using VR teleport

• Index and Index Controller support added

• Windows Mixed Reality (via SteamVR) support added

• Turkish [fan] localization added

Support for canted displays came in UE 4.18 but I’m unsure if Cyan would have to change something in their code to make it work?
https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/announcements-and-releases/1374252-unreal-engine-4-18-released

• Added support for non-parallel projections for HMDs that have canted display panels

EDIT: They mention the shadow issue so guess they haven’t fixed that:

Ambient occlusion differences in each eye visible in some areas:

• Under some conditions, a difference in shadows and lighting can be noticed in each eye in some VR headsets.

Could someone else give it a go and see if they’re getting the same result? :wink:

EDIT2: Seems it might be a “local” issue on my install as it works for @brian91292 (even without PP enabled)… :wink:

EDIT3: Strike that. Lots of other people have chimed in, saying they have the same issue as me… :crazy_face:

EDIT4: Seems like it’s fixed in latest PiTool (1.0.1.245 FW 255):

EDIT5: Still the same issue for me as soon as I resume the game (menu is fine) and I can still see the little loading icon shortly when I press the menu button for example.

5 Likes

@Heliosurge could You maybe split this topic? :slightly_smiling_face:

I think we need Pimax to look into why Obduction doesn’t work with the latest update.

EDIT: Doesn’t look like a Pimax issue after all.

1 Like

Give me a list of posts & will split topic

1 Like

I was thinking from the update announcement and on?

https://community.openmr.ai/t/obduction-free-on-gog-2019-05-31-discussion-about-the-game/20163/15?u=drwilken

New thread could be called:
Obduction 1.8.0: Promising update but apparently breaks compatibility with Pimax.

1 Like

Thanks @Heliosurge:+1::wink:

1 Like

The game works fine for me… Didn’t have to do anything special.

1 Like

Did You just install it or did You upgrade it?

Are You on PiTool .180? SteamVR beta or stable (I’m on beta)?

I wonder if it will work to remove/re-install it for me?

I just did a fresh install, and yes I’m on the .180 beta. Also using the SteamVR beta branch.

Doesn’t even seem like parallel projections are required to me.

2 Likes

Nice! Guess I’ll have to try a reinstall of the game then… :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

One thing to note: it doesn’t seem to allow me to launch the game through PiTool, I have to launch it directly through Steam.

Launching through Steam presents me with this window:

Whereas when I launch the game through PiTool it just shows an Obduction splash and instantly closes.

2 Likes

I’m also launching it through SteamVR (choosing HTC Vive).

I’m using the following options in PiTool:

1 Like

Same, not sure what could be going wrong for you. I’m not using smart smoothing- maybe it’s that?

2 Likes

Might be. I’ll give that a go too after reinstalling it. Thanks :wink:

EDIT: I’m on 72Hz and You’re on 90Hz, but I’ve tried using 90Hz too but not without Smart Smoothing.

1 Like

Reinstall didn’t help either. Also tried disabling the custom resolutions I’ve added for vorpX as I thought that might have something to do with it, but no dice there either.

That sucks, not sure what to suggest. I can save you some time, though- the game is still incredibly bad in VR and I was sick after playing it for 5 minutes. Still would not recommend.

The optimization seemed a bit better than it used to be, but the game is just so poorly done in VR that nothing can really fix it other than a total redesign of the controls.

2 Likes

Thanks, but I already played 5 hours with the shadow issue… :grin:

I wrote a mail to support@cyan.com hoping they can give me a hint as I know there has been issues with no image in HMD a long time ago (when they launched the VR feature of Obduction).

Told them I could send them debug info if I was given instructions too… :wink: Fingers crossed.

Just tried the old version in “publicpreview” and that works but PP has to be enabled.

Next up: Try new (1.8.0) version without ReVive installed even though it shouldn’t be used at all.

EDIT: Didn’t work with ReVive removed either.

It doesn’t work for me either. I choose new game and then play and no display in HMD anymore.

@brian91292 I only get 2 choices by launch not 4, are you sure that you are on 1.8.0?

1 Like

You get two choices when starting from SteamVR dashboard, but 4 when starting from Steam game list… :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for reporting in.

FYI: Gave Cyan support a link to this thread.