No You Don't Need the Latest and Greatest Graphics Card to Enjoy Pimax8K Edited with new Fallout4VR results and setting using 980ti

Cool I hope you don’t have much longer to wait. I here the 4k looks great and especially with lessoned canvas effect. Of course you will miss the supersampling to the extreme but the wide fov makes it all worth it. The Pimax 8K is simply awesome with this game!

2 Likes

Sorry aesopfabled I edited thanks I meant the fps figure I achieved was with SkyrimVR and not Fallout4VR my apologies.

1 Like

If you would like me to do some testing with a 980Ti playing Fallout 4VR with my Pimax 8k I would consider it or if anyone else would be interested, otherwise I will use my 1080ti for that game.

Cheers

from a message i sent to someone this morning
interested in performance

Since I know your interested in this subject wanted to share some good results
of last nights tests with Fallout4VR on the 980ti

Must say it took many times on and off with the headset adjusting settings and it really looked awful in the beginning finding that the settings had to be adjusted entirely different compare to the SkyrimVR settings.

In one night I managed to get Fallout 4Vr to Avg 60.2 avg with reasonably good graphics reminds me of my days with the Vive making adjustments seemed very similar only thing is it had been so long ago since I had played Fallout4VR I have forgotten all the little tweaks I had used

Will be switching now back over to the 1080ti
Out of curosity I just wanted to see if it was possible to run this game on my Pimax with the 980ti and results are it is. The game has a reputation I’m sure you are aware of running poorly for some even with supposedly good hardware

Fallout4VR Game Settings

FallOut 4 VR as many of you already know is a very different beast compared to SkyrimVR and
requires very different game settings.

Here are a few of the most important I tried yesterday evening that resulted in the 60.2 avg fps with reasonable good graphics

PiTool v84

compatible with parallel projection checked (on) different here than what i use in skyrim

FOV normal again different than skyrim and needed

Render Quality 1.5 different than needed in skyrim

SteamVR settings

Manual Overide 20% same

Nvidia settings

Anistropic filtering - Application controlled set to 16 in game

max pre rendered frames 1

MFAA (off)

Texture filtering Quality

trilinear optimization (on)

Virtual Reality pre rendered frames 1

council TAA off

To note With enough time there are many other settings that can be changed. In the past I went through the same process running Fallout4VR with the OGvive.

So if I can get it to run reasonably well with my Pimax 8k using a 980Ti I’m sure others with more time experience and dedication can figure out better settings.

For a first attempt not to bad I think. :grinning:

5 Likes

Not that I have my Pimax 8K yet but I recently added a 28" 4K monitor to my stable to plug the laptop into as I hate doing Design work on a small screen. I have been playing with Il2 BoX at 1080p on it and Witcher at 1440p to see how it looks and I am quite impressed with the image I get from the 4K panel.

I don’t think I will be complaining to much running Il2 at 1080p on the Pimax with my Gigabyte Aero 15X as the details are more than good enough and the full scale of the cockpit and aircraft will be more than making up for it. Even 1440p on the monitor scales up nicely in Witcher so I’m happy and think VR will be no issue scaled from 1440p to 4K as the Pimax 8K does.

Keep me going till I can afford to build a system that drives the 8K in its full glory. Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

can you try, or theorise a 1050ti with quake II, I just want to know if it’s possible to see the FOV in a game then judge if it’s worth keeping the pimax 5K+ and upgradge in my GPU to play more demanding games.

Even though a 1050ti graphics card you might think sounds powerful on first glance if you didn’t now better most would assume its more powerful than a gtx 970 unfortunately that is not the case. That card is one of the weakest to the nvidea cards a 980ti achieves on average in most demanding games 20 more fps. Also even worse for that card performs worse than a 960 so I would not recommend you use a 1050ti with the Pimax headsets. Now the question if it will run Quake ll, I don’t know I guess even with the very basic graphics of that really old game it might run you could ask @SweViver if you want a more definitive answer since he covered the mod over a year ago for that game on the Vive and Rift.

yes but it is just to run that one game, to see if i think the fov is worth it, its slightly more powerful than a 960, i had a 960 myself.

You could wait for SweViver to respond if he will or ask him yourself directly that is as much as I know. Sorry I could not be of further help. Thanks for the question anyhow.

Just wondering why the massive PSU for single 980 Ti ?

There are actually to watercooled 980ti’s in that computer.
yes I didn’t mention that in the specs. Since I was only testing with one GPU.

1 Like

I need to go water cooled. Always hitting 84c on my 1080Ti when at full throttle and it bothers me.

2 Likes

Yes I know what you mean its nice to never hardly go above 40C.

1 Like

If I remember it right, Quake 2 VR mod ran at 80fps stable on my GTX 1070 laptop with Pimax 8K m1 back when I tried it during the beta phase. Its really not demanding at all. I will give it a new try soon.

Having some rough and busy days atm, plus night work so cant do much before Monday/Tuesday…

4 Likes

19 posts were split to a new topic: Pros & Cons Watercooling Dilema

As you can see I hold any response from @SweViver in high regard. Don’t let the nicey nice guy image he portrays on his youtube channel deceive you, he really knows his stuff and even though he doesn’t know it, I have benefited greatly from his advice over the last couple years in my adventures in this new VR technology. MRTv also another smart guy likes him as well.

3 Likes

Thanks for this information, I think it’s a good idea to tell people that are on a GTX 1060 type GPU that they scan try easy to run games to see if they like the FOV then upgrade GPU later, this is one example of the game, did you try any dolphin VR games, give Resident Evil 4 (NGC) a go, it plays great in VR as you get great camera control and FOV of the originally low FOV game, also we can see if dolphin is easy to run.

I will get my Pimax 5K+ in some months and will try it with GTX 1050ti first to see if I like the FOV on easy to run games, then upgrade later, if I don’t like it then I just sell it off, this makes more sense than a new GPU first.

This is interesting MicoM I played Resident Evil 4 on flat screen and had no idea you could play it in VR loved that game only am very disappointed in that capcom has not finally released Resident evil 7 for VR. I loved that game playing on my Vive using VorpX. I curse sony and the creators of Resident Evil 7 for not releasing it yet on PC since it would be one of my favorite games to try with my Pimax.

you can play it in VorpX using Flawless Widescreen to increase the FOV, you have to change the script to a multiplier somewhere to increase the FOV scale, you will have to find a guide to figure it out, and yeah you get geometry 3D in VorpX with that title, the FOV fix doens’t work for cutscenes though making the game worse in it, it is 100x better in dolphin anyway as it’s real VR headtracking, cutscenes included as well.

Cool thanks MicroM it looks like I will have to contact Ralp for another key since it’s been awhile. Geometry 3D yea I’m all about that. Don’t care about cut scenes, I mean I enjoy them but I to this day have never experienced any motion sickness or anything like that luckily.