No True blacks despite advertising?

I have not looked at any other headset lately but i would guess the SDE in the 5K XR is pretty much the same as the Oculus Rift CV1. It feels that way anyway. You could say by chosing the 5K XR you advance many things but you don’t advance SDE. Having grown up myself with CRT monitors I actually sometimes find 5K XR SDE gives a feeling pseudo-sharpness in that it’s “hides” the actual square blocky pixels.

Both headsets have Pentile matrix and you are basiclly said that Rifts 1080×1200 resolution per eye is equal to Pimax 2560*1440 per eye ?! Maybe you should set more SS and turn on “FFR conservative” or go down with gfx visuals in game.

Have you read this guide including Edit 1 and Edit 2; https://community.openmr.ai/t/elite-dangerous-setup-guide-lets-make-it-dark-again/13334 ?
I did it before brightness/contrast slider happend in pitool.

The SDE on the 5K XR is on par with Odyssey which is far beyond Oculus CV1. Please try it before you state it mate :slight_smile: I wouldnt compare CV1 to anything from the Pimax range nor the WMR range.

2 Likes

I will definitely check this out when I get home. I would be happy to stand corrected, but I am not talking entirely without thinking here. Note that I am talking screen door effect and nothing else.

Here is a quick panel size comparison I threw together (not taking utilisation into account).

Source of CV1 PPD

Source of 5K PPD

That is 8% difference in pixels per degree. It should be a little more though since for example 1200 vs. 1440 is 18%.

PPD is influenced by lens magnification, panel usage, and FOV. The reason there doesnt seem to be much of a ppd bump is because its almost 2X FOV, and about 80% panel usage on 8K and 5K+

I have now tried with my Oculus CV1 at home and besides being very much like looking through small binoculars the pixels are actually no bigger in any way in the CV1 compared to 5K XR OLED IMHO. Since the vertical FOV is also smaller in CV1 (therefore more pixels in less degrees of view) I stand by my initial statement that SDE is pretty much the same. SDE is not improved over CV1 in 5K XR but everything else is. Actually to such a degree that you would be forgiven for thinking PPD is alot better too.

EDIT: I have confused SDE and PPD alot here. Pixel per degree is ofcourse different than SDE depending on panel type. @SweViver save me! I am not trained enough for explaining this. :slight_smile:

Looking at this little cut out of one of SweVivers videos we can at least see that XR does not excel in SDE.

1 Like

You source says Pimax PPD is 17 ( based resolutions they not taking subs in account)

Yes, I have two links and the Pimax mention in the first link is for the 8K version.

I don’t know why I compared 5K XR SDE to CV1 since you were asking about the difference from 5K to 5K XR. I guess I just assumed you would have owned or tried one. Mondays…:upside_down_face: You should take a look at SweVivers excellent video about 5K XR first impressions.

I knew Ambient Occlusion stole alot of framerate. I haven’t tried the haze fix yet though. Thanks I will try that out. Generally I always supersample in game using at least 1.25 HMD quality (Pimax at 1.0, Steam at 100%).

Calculating PPD is not an easy task and definitely not something you can just “pull off” from the numbers as my post was trying to show. Because it is not as intuitive as many thinks, there is a lot of misunderstanding and misconception about this. For example the idea of simply dividing the panel dimensions by the respective FOVs.

The reddit post have also some other data wrong. For example I can confirm that the horizontal FOV of Pimax is 140° and 160° respectively.

Then there is another complication of the panel utilization (this affects mostly Pimax, which is designed to only use a part of the panel). So even if panel dimension slash FOV formula worked you would have to assume the dimension of the actual image on the panel and not the panel itself.

Anyway, what I am trying to say, do not read into those numbers too much.

I completely agree. I was just trying to quickly prove that CV1 PPD was in the same ballpark as 5K PPD. I have huge respect for going full-on scientific and technical, but I leave that to pros like yourself.

Here’s one to ponder. Rift achieves seemingly impossible clarity for such poor resolution. I tried the rift S the other day…to me, more clarity than hmds with more resolution…and I don’t understand.
I don’t want the rift s. Too many drawbacks. But I want oculus clarity.

The problem with this is that I, among many other, have never tried an Odyssey. So my only reference point in this picture is the 5k. Comparisons between Odyssey and something else are not helpful for most people. What I’m looking for is a picture/comparison between Vive (or CV1), Vive Pro (or 5k+) and 5kXR. I understand that in terms of SDE the XR will be somewhere in the middle between the OG Vive (Rift) and the Pro (5k+), but closer to which side?

Also in this picture the XR has very visible SDE on the black parts. Is this normal? What I liked about the Pro (and one of the reasons to think about the XR) is that in a dark dungeon or under a thick shadow there is practically no visible SDE.

• For my personal user way of thinking and in order to not make it complicated for myself I consider the SDE of the CV1 and the OG Vive to be roughly the same (ballpark). The same with the Pro and the 5k+. There are probably differences, but for me as an end user they are as good as the same.

There is some „dark stuff” in gfxconfig…xml as well :slight_smile:

Just to raise the original point - Pimax please implement a setting for the XR to allow us to choose what level of black and smear is acceptable to us - I’d rather play darker with smear too - sort it out! @SweViver

3 Likes

+1 I’m very OK with even extreme levels of smear because of the colors… not for everyone, but would be nice go choose

I have been discussing this with the devs and they are implementing this (XR black level adjustment in 3 levels or so) most likely in the next update!

7 Likes

Top draw Pimax! Great news.

1 Like

Thank you very much!
I am still on V1.0.1.109, despite having an IPD of 58mm. xD

I would like to take the opportunity to raise awareness of a possible solution to the black smear OLED issue that doesn’t resort to eliminate pure black pixels completely:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/correcting-black-smear-on-5k-xr-oled/18706?u=hyperion