No mans sky VR thread

I started NMS with the Rift S and now use my 8K+ with cheap wired earphones (The yellow ones of years ago and the kind he airlines would give out free) I have played off and on for a few years. It does get boring very fast but each time I get into the game I get wow all over again. How is the sound in other games? I was not able to order a MAS with my bundle a few months. I play mostly puzzle type games with AI talking How is the Sound? Would the SMAS be ok Or should I get the DMAS?

No Mans Sky is great for the Pimax. The game is worth the Sale price Not sure I would buy it at full price but it is a must-have for any VR lover.

1 Like

I got no pimas DMAS or MAS - I will get a KDMAS as a backer though. So far the feedback on here is not great:
MAS has abysmal audio. DMAS came with a bad hinge for some and doesnā€™t seem to cup the head as it should for some. Some still prefer the Vive DAS.

The original vive is quite old. Iā€™d look out for someone selling a used DAS.

I got the Vive DAS on my 5K+ and I love it. Comfort and audio are great. It needs tinkering though. 3d printed adapters and a counterweight. The counterweight is needed on the Pimax variants as well though. I added the apache headstrap produced by one of the users on this forum as well wich adds even more to the comfort.

latest change logs on the experimental branch show vr optimizations, i tried it last night hoping maybe they fixed the parallel projection but nope ā€“ and no other measurable improvements to my eyes. anyone else with sharper senses notice anything different in terms of quality/performance?

1 Like

Did they fix the Hud that doesnā€™t follow your head yet? I find this one crazy annoying.

1 Like

No, i dont think they consider this a bug :frowning:

Gaaahhh! Since the Oranges update the mouse wont work in VR mode, and it was the mouse and KB control that allowed me to use Xpadder to play in VR with the gamepad (playing with the wands is teh suck).
So Iā€™m out.
Trying to fly with that godawful vive wand control scheme makes me want to never play the game again.
Oh, look, Iā€™ve let go of the virtual joystick again, ffs.

Why didnā€™t they leave the option for playing with the gamepad in there?

Interesting sorry to hear I didnā€™t know that. I use the gamepad in pancake only never tried in VR.

I use Index controllers in VR and the thing I noticed is that spaceship control has definitely improved. Used to be a bit all over the place but now I can place the ship much more accurately. Not perfect but no major problems either.

What is your secret. I am have 8KX with Index controllers and it is terrible for me. Not only do they come unattached from the virtual sticks when I donā€™t want them to but they regularly just disappear from the game entirely causing me to wave my hand around to pick up the tracking. Quite frustrating!

Hmmm didnā€™t know there was anything unusual going on. Iā€™ve got very good BT connectivity with PC, headset and controllers, they donā€™t randomly disconnect. Unlike my old PC and WMR controllers, which were awful, I never want WMR stuff ever again. Spent more time waiting to reconnect than playing anything.

Iā€™ve only got one v1 LH but as long as Iā€™m facing it I donā€™t lose tracking. I play NMS seated, so I donā€™t physically turn much and use turn via the controllers. I also sit back a little to ensure my desk doesnā€™t block line of sight from LH to controllers, otherwise that could happen.

Apart from that, not sure! You do have to maintain a light grip to keep holding the virtual controllers, now and again Iā€™ll lose it but not a big issue for me. I rest them on my legs as a pivot point and make fairly small movements. This level of precise control seems better than before.

I did buy a set of these for VTOL VR but havenā€™t been using them much. I think they were intended for NMS. If youā€™re willing to mount them properly then they work well. The magnets are intentionally really strong to prevent accidental detachment from the bases, so otherwise it can be hard to detach them:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/protubevr-protas-vr-review/25308

here we go again, crossing fingers that pc can benefit from these next gen console optimizations!! (come onnnnnnnn parallel projection fix)

1 Like

While Iā€™m not holding out for a PP fix, VR optimisation would nice. PC owners get the graphical updates on Ultra. I still play pancake anyway, but itā€™s a shame if the gulf between non VR and VR widens.

Donā€™t know about you, but I canā€™t get acceptable performance figures in VR when running any key settings on Ultraā€¦

on my 5k+ normal fov w 3080 i still need to set planet quality to lowest to hit 90fps native :frowning_face: (at least before this new update)

1 Like

A quick check and certainly on some planets thereā€™s definitely an improvement on Ultra with the next gen patch. Even more flora, better LODs etc, and it was looking great before. Slightly more demanding I feel, occasional stutter but could just be the first time loading the updated environments.

But getting the X to play OK on Ultra settings in VR is impossible, boo!

3 Likes