No mans sky VR thread

Just saw your post again and saw that i hadnt shared my custom control scheme ive made.

It doesnt use HMD direction for walking but allows for touchpad relative to controller direction so you dont need to wave you left hand about to walk in different directions at least.

Ive changed around some other stuff to so now its more “conventional” when compared to other VR stuff like VRchat, Fallout4 VR and it also has some other useful stuff.

Try to play No Mans Sky again

There is an update

Most demanding vr application so far :smiley:

Hey this thread is still open, FYI running no mans sky with 5k+ super sampled to ~1900p on an RTX 3080 FE , i5 8600k, 3200mhz 32gb ram = 60fps (or worse) with normal FOV and Ultra settings on most planets or around bases. nexus is bad too. Sometimes it’s a CPU bottleneck, sometimes not. Been really happy with the 3080 in most of my games but NMS is a punch in the gut :frowning: FFR doesnt even work with nms so not even the eye tracking for DFR is a hope on the horizon

one thing i didnt test yet was trying with parallel projection disabled, maybe something has evolved with that through all these updates.

1 Like

Wow you have a 3080 and it still isn’t enough huh. I have been loving this game but have only rarely played in VR. The new update looks great.

I did manage to get it stay at 45 FPS on the 5k+ with a 2080 Ti, but certainly not with ultra settings. Took quite a bit of tweaking down to get it steady but also not look intrusively ugly. I’ll try with the 8KX later today.

1 Like

This game is so unoptimized, I’d assume even a 3090 wouldn’t “suffice”. Because that’s not where the issue lays.

It’s a shame, I hope performance can be improved. Out of ED, SC and NMS, I’ve played it the least, but I now realise as an exploration game it is easily the best. And with a small dev team behind it.

I persuaded a friend to pick it up and he loves it too, he wasn’t particularly impressed with either of the others.

I really enjoyed NMS but haven’t played it in a while. My FPS on a 2080ti are considerably higher than what Seth is reporting. Here are my settings:
Texture Quality : High
Animation Quality : Ultra (this is CPU bound, weaker cpus lower this value)
Shadow Quality : Enhanced
Post Processing : High
Volumetric Effects : Standard
Terrain Tesselation : Off
Planet Quality : Standard
Base Qaulity : … High
Anisotropic Filtering : 2
Anti Aliasing : Off
GBAO : Off

Pitool settings:
PP = Off (this has some negative effects)
FFR = Off, Motion Smoothing = Off (You can turn this on but it caused some extra shimmer)
Render Quality = 1

Hopefully with the Pimax Experience as a group we can come up with even more optimal values and tweaks.

6 Likes

Is this with the 8KX? What FPS are you getting then?

My current testing with 8KX, 264, and PT 1.0 with 2080 Ti and i9900k on a planet surface with all settings on Enhanced (2nd lowest) is managing around 32-35FPS, so not enough to get Smart Smoothing working reliably.

I am running PP On because the sprites bother me otherwise, unfortunately. @NextGenVR any tricks for NMS like HL:A to get PP Off without issues?

I’m trying to reduce some values to Standard (lowest) to get the FPS up to 37/38, without making everything look horrible and shimmering.

On the 5k+, PT 2.0 / SVR 0.25 / PP On / Enhanced managed 45FPS and looked OK too.

It’s been a while but I think I had it up to mid 70’s. Same hardware as you except at the time I had an 8K+.

I think this sort of thing is the *perfect use case for the Pimax Experience where different profiles are exchanged, revised, updated, improved by multiple people until something close to the best possible config is achieved.

That way a high percentage of people can quickly achieve some visuals that would normally have required many hours of tweaking.

3 Likes

OK good to know. I’ve managed to get it to just about hold 37/38 but with almost everything set to standard. Looks acceptable with Ansitropic Filtering set to 2, this helps with distance shimmer. I guess 8KX native + PP is really pushing it.

I’ll try again without PP, if I can tolerate it then of course that will help a fair bit.

Yes look forward to the open beta!

I think we will release one more closed beta version (about 70 people testing now) and then go open with it in a day or so after that if nobody reports any show stoppers.

2 Likes

The new oranges update has some big changes you’ll only see with Planet Quality set to Ultra :frowning: will try some more tweaking tonight but i suppose what i was really hoping for with the 3080 is for me to be able to use the same high graphics feature settings as I would when playing flat even if just through brute force

NMS is very demanding in VR.
I have the 8kX and a 2080ti, and if you can fiddle with the settings enough it looks lovely, and just about holds to 37fps most of the time.
I play without parallel processing, so some of the flat plants look a bit weird, but there aren’t that many on most planets so the extra fps is worth the odd jarring foliage.
I also had to turn the fov down, first from max, then to small to keep the fps up.
I may experiment with the upscaling mode, but it looks so damn crisp and lovely in proper 4k vr.
I also have tesselation on, which probably doesnt help the frame rate, but I find it adds greatly to the feeling of immersion to not look down and see a completely 2d surface on every single planet. The differentiation of the surface tesselation is one of my favourite bits. Don’t judge me.
One more thing I do most others probably dont is play with an xbox 360 controller in vr.
It’s actually very easy to set up Xpadder or Antimicro to bind the kb and mouse controls to the gamepad, and it plays Sooooo much better for things like flight (imho).
The one big drawback is building, where for some reason everything you build appears at 180 degrees to where you are looking. My workaround is to turn my chair around when I build stuff, so there is that. Plus I dont build stuff. Don’t judge me.
If you can leverage a decent compromise between fps and visuals it is a really immersive game in vr, right up there with Skyrim as a Walking Simulator, but it could really, really use an optimization pass.
I’m crushed to hear a 3080 cant hack it. Sorry Wallet, it may have to be the 3090 unless Hello Games introduce DLSS or FFR sometime soon.

Edit: went back and tried the upscaling mode, turning tesselation down to “standard”.
The tesselation wasn’t as bad as I’d assumed, and the framerate was great (solid 59 fps with smart smooth).
And if I’d only ever seen the upscaled version, I’d have been happy with it, it looks very nice, still better than 90% of vr headsets out there.
However, mine eyes have seen the glory of the 4k per eye experience, and once you’ve looked at a distant object on the horizon all crisp and clear, you cannot go back to it being even a little bit blurry. Well, I can’t.
I was even able to go back to normal fov on the upscaled settings.
But when I switched back to native 4k despite the barely able to hold 37fps in small fov, the extra clarity and detail was what I wanted.
I found a lush or paradise planet and it is stunning in 4k.
They’ve tweaked terrain generation and added a lot more plant variety and it actually evoked a god-damned sense-of-wonder in me, like I was a 12-year-old reading Asimov or Bradbury for the first time. Obviously I didn’t believe I was actually on an alien planet, but I was immersed and excited by the detail. The rich grass, the diverse flora, the actual mountains with a sunrise coming up, it “felt” more like an actual hand constructed planet than almost any I’ve visited in 4 years.
I’d say if you liked NMS but got a bit bored of it, try the Oranges update, start a new game, turn off all your mods and dive in. The first couple of worlds I was on didn’t “wow” me, they were OK but didn’t seem radically different or improved. The paradise planet was the first time it felt new and different.

6 Likes

I’ve been using the Index for NMS because the 5K+ was running poorly (1080ti).

I’m waiting for the 3090 and the 8KX so hopefully they’ll work decently together. I’m actually waiting for an HP Reverb G2 too but going lower fov than Index is a step in the wrong direction imo. I’m thinking that maybe the big sweet spot and clarity will make up for it as @mixedrealityTV been talking about.

2 Likes

Thanks for these suggestions very helpful. I am just about holding on to 37/38 in native res and Normal FOV with PP on, but with detail settings mostly low.

I haven’t ever used Small FOV to date in the 5k+ or 8KX for anything, but this might be a good case so I can increase a few detail settings :+1:

Small is great, rock solid 37/38, able to increase everything to Enhanced (with Animation at Ultra, only CPU bound), and not too impacting on the FOV.

Might be able to carefully up some detail further.

1 Like

I play it with a 8K+ settings at max. I have been playing it off and on for some time. Looks great with the colors and FOV. As far as a game it does get boring doing the same thing over and over.

I tried my first long NMS VR session (ever, and not just with the 8KX), did co-op with a friend in pancake and it worked great.

Nearly two hours with pretty much no issue - occasionally needed to push the headset back up a bit due to the weight but very minor, and counter weight should solve that.

Didn’t notice the clarity problem, just having too much fun blasting through derelict freighters and roaming across new landscapes.

As far as a game it does get boring doing the same thing over and over

This will inevitably exist to some extent on a proc gen game, but there’s so much old and new content, especially compared to ED or SC, which I now accept barely have any content at all, that personally I don’t mind. I have only had it for a few months though, compared to years on the other two, so there is that.

Most single player games have far less content, and only worth playing once. One of the very few games I can think of that doesn’t feel repetitive is Arma - on the right server though - because the combat is so dynamic. But it’s still not something I’ve played much recently, I’m really enjoying exploration in a game for the first time in a while. By contrast, SC surfaces are pretty, but empty. ED surfaces are ugly and empty.

Edit forgot to mention, I tried the SMAS audio and found it fine for voice comms. When doing co-op I prefer to use my PC speakers for game audio, and run a headset just for the comms. So instead of that, I used the 8KX mic and SMAS audio. Mic is fine, the other player said they couldn’t make out any difference. In turn, using the SMAS speakers I could clearly hear everything they said to me. The fact that it is a little tinny makes it sound like radio, so that’s actually a bonus :grin:

3 Likes

I play it with my 5K+ at 90 hz with smart smoothing on (45 FPS). Normal FOV. Details are medium-ish with maxed textures and some others.
Plays great with theses settings. It is one of these games where smart smoothing seems to do wonders.

1 Like