No Display Port 2.0 on Nvidia Ampere 3090 šŸ¤Ø šŸ§?

So we are stuck on 75 Hz for 2-3 years on the 8k X :weary: ?

1 Like

Unless you use upscaled mode.

3 Likes

Hope for 80-90Hz in normal mode

3 Likes

It looks like the 3090 is going to have a DisplayPort 1.4a. Hereā€™s the latest spec leak I could find: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-and-geforce-rtx-3080-specifications-leaked

3 Likes

Damn that really sucks :disappointed::disappointed_relieved:
3 more years no progress in vr only because of Display Port :weary:
HDMI 2.1 isnt enough for 90hz right ?

2 Likes

also no one is going to market 2160p ultrawide monitors because of that i guess.

3 Likes

Neither 5k 120hz with hdr ultra wide :disappointed::-1:

the g9 odyssey from samsung i think mentions in their sales material that you would need next gen gpu that was coming soon for some of itā€™s features, i took that to mean displayport 2.0 because turring has 1.4a already doesnā€™t it?

Yes exactly. But no they fu*"*cked it Up :confused:

Sorry to show my ignorance but is it feasible for the 8KX to run at 120hz in small (120) fov , I know theyā€™re working on 90 hz

Nope, too much pixels in native mode

1 Like

or you ask your government to enact new laws of nature. :rofl::joy::rofl:

Well the lack of a DP 2.0 is good news for the 8KX no rush to upgrade the circuitry I suppose

Next question
If the wireless can transmit enough data would the current 8KX be capable of 120hz in small fov , is it just the dp limitation or is there another bottleneck in the headset

they couldnā€™t change the circuit at the moment either. there are still no matching chips on the market, who. can handle DP 2.0

Maybe end of the next year, with the 3080superdooper series. XD

I donā€™t know

1 Like

probably not since the wireless will be attached to the current display port in on the headset, unless thereā€™s some very magic sauce in that proprietary connector of theirs

4 Likes

The brute force approach to render and send 4k/8K 120hz signal where your not even looking is the wrong one. you get price increase, heat, bigger power supply for the card, Emf problem and design, eyes tracking technology is here so the manufactures must ā€œsimplyā€ design a multi resolution protocol where you only send the number of effective pixel you render
could be only 2 images of different resolution with a circular mask for each real image

The problem here like for large FOV headsets is that no profitable market exist so HDMI and DVI spec are done for monitors and large entertainment displays not VR specificly

3 Likes

Thereā€™s still a good chance for big Navi to have DP 2.0. Nvidia historically lags behind a bit when it comes to adopting new standards, but letā€™s wait and see.

2 Likes

It has HDMI 2.1, which is 48 Gbps (DP 1.4a only has 32 Gbps). Thatā€™s enough to power 10k @120hz (DSC)

HDMI 2.1a Specification Overview.

• 4K50/60
  • 4K100/120
  • 5K50/60
  • 5K100/120
  • 8K50/60
  • 8K100/120
  • 10K50/60
  • 10K100/120
4 Likes

They seemed confident on 80hz and as with other models higher refresh at lower FOV may also help.

They also said bandwidth at native is actually a good bit ā€˜lessā€™ than in upscale mode, suggesting that issues with DSC at higher refresh is not stable enough and might yet be a software fixable issue or maybe something with the newer cards helpsā€¦ who knows? time will tell.

So donā€™t rule out getting higher refresh rates on current setups just yet.

4 Likes

As an enthusiast I dont want to use the pimax with lower fov. Whats the point of getting a pimax then lol .
I want an even larger fov than the large option on the pimax .
Damn I should have bought the star vr one :grin::laughing:

3 Likes