New XTAL discussion thread for 2021/2022

Yeah, actually they sent me an email last week that they’re going to ship it now. So, going to need to sell that VR3 :slight_smile:

Well there’s of course the difference between the specs on paper and what you see in the headset, so we’ll need to find out about that. In theory the Pimax might even be a better headset than the XTAL, at a way lower price point. But it’s all still future music and who knows how long it’s going to take …

Hehe, I don’t think anybody needs to worry about that. I highly doubt there’s even 1 single other guy on this forum crazy enough to spend this kind of money on a VR headset for gaming.

What video do you mean? I did see the official XTAL promotion vid if you mean that? Didn’t reveal much though.

EDIT actually, I hadn’t even checked but there are several XTAL 3 video’s on youtube like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsPnPo5kPtM and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaY4MKL84to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItjBSQTIpk8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5bvAEWX_rI

going to watch that now :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Djonko lol all credit to you for your purchases, its pretty hardcore, and helps VR in general :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was referring to Rainer’s question. The XTAL have about 150 degrees H, The 12k should have much more

1 Like

75 Hz @ 4K per eye, 120 Hz @ QHD per eye

No 90Hz option in the highest resolution?

1 Like

the same panels as the 8kx. 90Hz is a pimax only experiment. (overdrive)

90Hz is not in the DP port specifications.for this resolution.

Wow charging $9k only for wide FOV is pathetic. Simracers have nothing to look here :confused:

It is intended for companies, eye tracking has the best motorized lenses on the market and has several, most importantly, the best tracking system in the world (ART)

1 Like

With a client list like Lockheed Martin and European Air Services I dont think XTAL is too worried about the cost of their HMDs

5 Likes

I’m talking about iRacing and ACC not flight simulator :slight_smile:
Foveated rendering doesn’t work in iRacing and 75Hz is barely acceptable minimum. 90Hz makes a huge difference and for most simracers it’s optimal for comfortable sessions.
For flight sim even 60Hz will work.

I’m just very frustrated that after 8KX no other company wanna make HMD with wide fov and better PPD.
Year 2018 was really great, new ideas, new technology and now we have 2022 but still we can’t reach 90Hz, wide fov and 5k resolution per eye…

Pimax 12KX will kill competition and I’m really happy with this.

2 Likes

Yes frustrated here too. Thats why I bought the XTAL 5K.

4 Likes

The 90Hz (and higher) will probably come when Displayport 2.0 is finally installed in graphics cards.

It’s not up to the VR manufacturers. As I said, 90Hz in the Pimax is only experimental, therefore also somewhat unstable.

1 Like

Aren’t we all. Biggest frustration for me is that StarVR was like the perfect headset. I mean the difference between wearing a skimask (pimax) or just not seeing any edges at all (StarVR) really is big, even more so when it’s completely distortion free, like they achieved. They have the tech, but decided to put some way too low res panels in there and now seem to have abandonded the project alltogether. Like really WTF!! Why don’t they just slap two 5k panels in there and we all live happily ever after?

4 Likes

They have had Wide FoV since therw non steam headsets Hero and Hero2. There target is enterprise and not consumer. Much of the cost is top level optics and top notch warranty and support.

3 Likes

They do just not in the consumer space. In that pimax has an advantage as other consumer targeted vr hmds are content with low horizontal FoV.

StarVR One panels are still a mystery considering og starvr was 5k. I am curious if the downgrade in res was deliberate maybe to in part hide a flaw in the lens? Be interesting to see how the StarVR One would work with better res panels.

But like you said seems it has been abandoned/discarded. Which is ashame as they could have even licensed the tech for others

2 Likes

You’re probably going to regret this in less than a year when the Pimax Reality 12K QLED comes out, or when Vrgineers releases the Xtal consumer version.

I learned my lesson never to buy expensive enterprise focused headsets again after Varjo released the Aero not long after the VR-3.

If you’re okay with losing money again, then more power to you. Just know there are going to be lots of new headsets released this year from various companies.

1 Like

Yea i realy loved this headset,also very comfortable…And amazing distortion Free!And oled colors and blacks(man do i miss this in every headset) But the resolution was indeed very bad… There are still no good new vr headsets without too many compromises out there so i understand you try something new…

2 Likes

I’ve worked hard in my life, especially the last 2 years have been kind of crazy. So, my thinking is, if you don’t play hard too, then what’s even the point of it? I’ve seen people working hard their whole life, then getting a heartattack or stroke just after their 50’s, leaving all money they’ve made behind. That’s not going to be me :slight_smile: Work hard, play hard! And sure, there will be coming much better headsets, even probably soon indeed, but I want it sooner! :slight_smile:

13 Likes

I mean c’mon…is it really THAT bad??? I remember watching through the lens footage of a video from MRTV showing Alyx on the StarVR One where he was panning in close on a monster laying on the ground, and remember thinking…“Man, these guys saying the resolution and PQ of the StarVR One sure like to exaggerate, because this footage doesn’t look bad at all”. So I mean, surely it’s not worse than the Oculus Rift CV1, right? I still have mine, still in the box and can’t wait to use it. As long as the PQ quality is on par with the CV1 then I’m willing to tolerate it, while enjoying that super wide FOV and OLED blacks. :slight_smile:

The low resolution of the CV1 NEVER bothered me.

Well, when putting one’s nose right up to something, the resolution is of course always going to suffice to reproduce that fairly well, as long as there’s no fine print - that’s one of those dirty little tricks we tend to roll our eyes at, when done in promo footage. :7

1 Like