New StarVR One H7102 to sell!

This tool today in a better lit room I’m 62.9 near and 66 far with the dots right on my pupils. I think I just tend to go one step wider in the headsets. It seems to help with clarity on the outer peripherals without much loss in the center.

I can see the pad for the StarVR is pretty thin. As long as the stock pad doesnt put my lashes against the lenses I can probably get creative if the focus feels too narrow. I recall the rift s being ok so, here we go. Thanks!

StarVR folks sent me 5 or 6 pads of various thickness. I have super thin to the thickest padding. The thicker padding is best for those of lower IPD, and the thinnest for those of widest FOV. The FOV is wider that the largest Pimax FOV mode.
Vertical FOV both headsets are similar. There is no distortion whatsoever on the StarVR One, and the colors are far superior also. But, the image is considerably sharper on the 8kX for obvious reasons.

1 Like

Super helpful to know about the extra facepads thank you. Is the usb stick w/ config files still a thing?

I have a quote from a US dealer StarVR put me in touch with as well. More $ than the link referenced of course. I haven’t shopped on there before it seems like it doesn’t accept a US address for shipping.

The stick is not really needed, those are for production units. Released units use the automatic download via Compass.

If you get a legit with warranty unit, then get that, having support is worth it. You can get software and plug in updates

Sweet! Im pumped. I can’t wait for the first oval race in an open wheel car with that fov.

I advise you to check that I-racing is supported. NextGenVR user here had a StarVR and he mentioned that some racing studios where testing the StarVR one. But I am not sure if it became officially supported

Yeah I don’t think any game at all has official support

2 Likes

Good point. When I first contacted them they said it wasn’t fully supported, and after a month they followed-up and said it was, but they referenced an article where it says it’s now “compatible”

NextgenVR said in his video when testing it in rfactor project cars and others that iracing was the most complete experience, but I assume there’s no guarantee it still is today or still will be in the future.

I personally would never recommend anyone to buy the StarVR, unless it’s for some programming project. Thing is that without native support, it just doesn’t look very good. WITH native support this thing is just incredible. They’ve adapted the ‘Showdown’ demo code with their native driver support and that demo is about the most impressive thing I’ve seen yet in VR (well together with the Varjo VR3 highres demos). I think I must have watched that demo about 30 times :slight_smile: But apart from that, content just doesn’t look very good in my opinion.

I think it says a lot that everybody on this forum who owned a StarVR has sold it again (except for @Vr-tech but he had it for a programming project)

For gaming in wide FoV, just get the pimax 8kx, you’ll be WAY better off.

2 Likes

I love my Pimax xr , I had a 2hour play session right now in contractors , I reached wave 25 in survival mode in the city map xD
The immersion was so great that my skills increased compared to other hmds .
Image quality is a 5/10

Vive pro 1 with lense mod has a 7/10 Image quality
My reverb g2 has a 7.5/10 Image quality for me

For competetive gaming large fov is essential though.

I wish we would have a Pimax xr oled 2.0 with build in wireless adapter and better oled panels with less sde and 4k per eye . Min specs would be rtx 4090 though for that xD

Technically it would be possible today to build such an hmd and sell it for 2000€/$

1 Like

Thanks Djonko.

I own the 8kx, 8k+, 5k+, reverb g2, index, vive pro2

My opinion here but I still use the cv1 in long races. I have intermittent head tracking issues with g2, 8kx blackouts, index the glare was so bad with a black suite in a cockpit I could not handle it, vive pro 2 the lenses fog within like 10 mins so I returned it but i preferred it over the g2 aside from that.

Pimax there has always been too much swimming going on for me partially bc of weight, but it has gotten significantly better with updates. I just don’t have confidence it won’t blackout at a bad moment right now.

But yes- A non consumer based headset w/ generations old res might not be the answer. Im thinking more along the lines of id rather it always be the same amount of blurriness, and provide accurate sense of space and presence

1 Like

I saw your comparisons with the xr, xr has always had me curious should probably be considering that as well.

1 Like

I know fov becomes irrelevant in the vr-3 once you’ve seen it. Still curious though, I hear comparisons to vive pro 2 but it looked like nextgen was still around g2 with thin foam range for vertical and horizontal.

I may just sell everything I have and get the vr-3 and the starvr. Both quotes in hand :scream:

Like @Djonko mentioned, the StarVR isnt a gaming headset. There are games that do look great, but is a hit or miss. If racing is what you do and the StarVR works for specific tittles that you will play, then go for it. I have my Index, Pimax, and others for gaming, and the StarVR for VR storytelling mockups. The StarVR required 4 cameras to utilize the wide FOV efficiently. But if StarVR worked with some game companies during development some of the compatibility groundwork may still be viable. Maybe I should test some racing games just for sheets and giggles soon.

The benefits of larger FOV is the sense of speed due to having the peripheral view even if you are not focusing in it.
What are the racing games that intend to play with the StarVR?

For me it would only be iracing. Here’s the article I mentioned before… not straight from Starvr but still it sounds like they recognize the use case at least.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tweaktown.com/news/76424/starvr-is-calling-on-simulation-racers-to-try-its-ultrawide-vr-headset/amp.html

Will check-in with iracing and see what they say as well. Nextgen’s youtube review where he tries out different racing titles with the starvr- iracing was his preference. I wouldn’t figure sim racing compatibility is a top priority of theirs though so a year later I have no idea what to expect.

1 Like

I think Iracing require a monthly fee to play if I remember correctly?

Nice, I was not aware of the that article. good to know they are loosening on the requirements to purchase the headset.

Yeahh it does. You may be able to do 1month but I think its 3 month minimum. Either way if you’d have time to check it out I’m happy to cover it.

I do real tracking in LA, but I’m tired of buying new tires ( especially cups 2’s) and covering the car :sweat_smile: Maybe sim racing is a way to curb some real track days. I need to get a steering wheel. Many years ago my Thrust master rs300 crapped out and never bother to get it fixed. Need to see what’s new on the market with proper steering feedback and weight

2 Likes