New Headset from Sony

See collaboration Sony and Siemens on CES 2024

but only 90° FoV. It is a just better, up-to-date version of the Hololens, 55ppd is interesting.
Even as a developer I would prefer a broad FoV.
So I still wait for 12KX, but MR-Features would be the killerfeature together with a high res and WIDE FoV.
Still I trust in PIMAX :innocent:

1 Like

We need a 2 inch or more micro OLED for good FOV and they’re still a couple of years away.

This headset is what I thought PSVR2 was going to be. Wireless, Pancake Lenses, Micro OLED.

hehe damm 55 PPD. We’re really getting to the point where it just makes no sense to increase PPD any more. Just like a 4k monitor generally is all you need.

90 deg FoV is kinda sad indeed, I wouldn’t buy such headset. Yet great to see Sony and Siemens, 2 huge players, working together on VR

1 Like

Big players are no reason for success. Siemens invested heavily in Varjo… and failed. I see a similar approach and result to come here. Sad.
Sony may succeed, but only with other product lines, if at all.

1 Like

Definitely true. But in generals big players have much better chances of delivering something good, if it were only because of their deep pockets

It didn´t work out for Varjo, despite the deep pockets and a really long time since first show off. Even from a professional perspective, they failed.

Not sure if I agree on Varjo failing. I’d say a better example would be Panasonic. But anyway, yeah that’s exactly what I said, deep pockets doesn’t equal sure success, but definitely increase the chances. A company like PImax or Somnium just have to settle with a certain lens for example, they just can’t on spending more on other prototypes. For bigger players that’s not really a factor. BTW I wouldn’t even say Varjo is a big player, even if they have backing frome one. Sony, Meta, Samsung, Google, these are the companies I’m talking about. The more companies like that making VR headsets, the better it’s for us.

Besides, THE factor that holds back VR development at the moment is lens technology. For bigger FoV we need breakthroughs since with current tech you can’t get wide foV with stable geometry AND edge to edge clarity AND high resolution. It’s just the physical limitation of current tech.

Smaller companies wont invest much into R&D, at least not like Meta does for example. It’s much more likely that the next breakthrough in lens design comes from the big companies instead from a smaller one.

1 Like

Currently I doubt the problem is the lense tech only. It´s the display itself which limits the optics. Lenses need to cope witth the tiny Displays. Maybe bigger displays (yes I know, the production costs) could ease some lenses problems, too. You need anyhow a certain area to display, if it is too tiny, you will get optics problems, if it is too big, we have other design issues. All companies have to cope withi it, searching their sweetspot. The display offerings are limited in seize and resolution, too.

1 Like

What are you on about?

They are doing extremely well and delivering arguably the best PCVR HMDs currently on the market.

They have a very large B2B customer base with deep pockets and long term, high volume contracts to secure their funding.

The XR-4 is the best HMD I have ever used and I‘d argue I have used most.

If that’s failure, what does success look like?

2 Likes

No offense intended. Your beloved XR-4 maybe the best HMD with “120° x 105° field of view” … for You.
3840 x3744 resolution at 51 PPD for sure is very impressive.
But still… I want bionic view, which means wide FoV 210° H -, 180° V - FoV would cover eyesight.
I do not intend to go back… carefully spoken.

1 Like

No offence taken at all.

I simply don’t understand how a company that doesn’t offer what you want from an imaginary HMD be considered ‘failed’.

Varjo never went for bootstrap high FOV, low image quality designs. They prefer a perfect optical train to eystrain and more hours spent fixing than using.

1 Like

Well one could argue that their optical train is not so perfect. The thing I really LOVED about my varjo’s is that my eyes always felt completely relaxed in them, more so than any other headset. But the thing with these asphalt lenses is that they yield distortion and even though they tried to dynamically correct for that, the image is still not geometrical stable. I’ve come to the conclusion I frikkin’ hate that :slight_smile: When I move my head around, the VR world should remain stable. My brain just needs that otherwise it won’t accept the world as ‘real’, it just feels like that. It’s just such a relief to finally have found that again with the Quest 3.

Other than that the Varjo’s really ooze quality and I totally believe that the XR4 might have the current highest image fidelity out there.

1 Like

That what you mention made me return the varjo and the pimax chrystal…i cant stand that…

1 Like

Yeah to each their own but I’ve come to the conclusion that aspheric lenses are just not for me. They do have the greatest clarity but the instability is just immersion breaking for me.

1 Like

Do you mean aspheric?

1 Like

Incidently, a common optical polishing technique uses a surface made out of pitch. :9

I only have two HMDs with aspheric lenses, Crystal and PSVR1. PSVR1 seems less prone to distortion. I find it to be the most comfortable of all the HMDs I’ve used. Easy to position and it just fits well. They are similar in other positive respects, including FOV. They also share a similar chromatic aberration issue.

Psvr1 had huge eye box

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.