New Acer WMR HMD 4,320 x 2,160 and StarVR One

Not much info yet

The ConceptD OJO Windows Mixed Reality Headset features a 4,320 x 2,160 display, detachable and swappable head strap design, easy inter-pupil distance adjustment, and a classic white finish. It has a patented built-in sound pipe technology, and software-assisted interpupillary distance (IPD) adjustment technology that lets the wearer modify the gap between the eye’s pupil and the display distance for sharper, clearer images and a more enjoyable experience.

" Finally, there’s the Acer ConceptD OJO Windows Mixed Reality headset. It has twin 2.89-inch LCD displays, offering 4320 x 2160 resolution per eye at up to 90Hz refresh rates. There’s inside-out tracking, integrated speakers, a microphone, and a 3.5mm headphones jack.

It hooks up via HDMI 2.0 and USB 3.0, like all Windows Mixed Reality headsets, and comes with motion controllers. It weighs 550 grams, not including the cable"

Note that they also mentioned StartVR ONE at the conference (its part of the “ConceptD” series) so it looks like its still going to be a product:

Acer ‏Verified account @ Acer

FollowFollow @ Acer
Together with # ConceptD PCs, ConceptD OJO and StarVR One provide the most immersive and efficient tool for animators and game developers. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D34lfUQXkAAR6Cv.jpg:large
StarVR one developer program is $3,200 No word if the official version is cheaper

12 Likes

Sweet! Unfortunately no estimated release date. I hope they were able to include a lot of StarVR’s tech.
Will people interested in the Reverb postpone buying one?

3 Likes

What a time to be alive !

5 Likes

First thing I thought of (Robo Recall):

4 Likes

I am wondering if there is a misprint. With the per eye res it would seem to be a wide FoV headset. Time will tell.

4 Likes

Yeah so far i’m only seeing one site saying per eye

2 Likes

Looks like the 4K labeling by Pimax has caught on :smile:.
The official site states 4,320 x 2,160 Display.

Too bad that not only was the price expensive in 2018 but also the resolution was only 1,830 × 1,464 per eye.
Everything else about the StarVR was high quality.

1 Like

This site is probably wrong. For two panels like that Acer would need two DP 1.4 connections. Besides it looks like they are using one panel split for two eyes as the acer page suggests (https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/conceptd-home). Even at the half of the res it could be interesting WMR headset, but I am afraid it will also have a fixed IPD (which one big panel suggests) and this is no go for me.

1 Like

Its probably the same display as HP’s Reverb (1 DP 1.3 connection). 2 4,320 x 2,160 RGB strip displays

4 Likes

The wording isn’t clear but the wheel at the bottom of the hmd could indicate that it’s not only software.

2 Likes

If you check the original site, it’s put a cross through the ‘per eye’, so it’s just a single 4k panel, so also no hardware IPD. So, pretty much a HP Reverb.

4 Likes

According to Engadget they’re releasing the “StarVR” HMD … I doubt that’s true though Acer has a new pro-grade computer line called 'ConceptD' | Engadget

Hmm also according to this reddit post, it seems Acer talked about (also) releasing the StarVR: https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/bc1pgj/acer_and_starvr/?ref=readnext

4 Likes

Hehe different info everywhere :slight_smile: UploadVR talks about two 2k*2k panels, so in that case hardware IPD would be possible Acer Announces PC VR Headset With 4K Resolution And IPD Adjustment

3 Likes

Exept of showing a picture of the StarVR and the OJO they only talked about partnering with autodesk and blabla. It’s at the end of the presentation on youtube.

2 Likes

Yeah just saw it. I wish Acer was a bit more clear. Anyway if you look at their OJO device, it does seem to have an IPD button, which in theory might be only software related but I think there’s a good chance that UploadVR is correct and that this thing has hardware IPD. In which case I won’t get the HP Reverb but will go for this little baby

2 Likes

If they make the price 399 that would be the winner of 2019!

But anyways, what about Pmax’s controllers, lighthouses, eyetracking umits and all other promised goodies?

2029?

1 Like

So it actually does seem that Acer is going to (also) release the StarVR One:

https://twitter.com/Acer/status/1116371009270161414?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1116371009270161414

However if they don’t upgrade the resolution, it actually might be a bit outdated already.

(I also updated the topic title)

5 Likes

The StarVR has dual USB-C cables, could be that they planned to upgrade the panels.

2 Likes

This seems amazing. Acer is not known for high prices. I would instantly buy this headset for $2000 or so.

2 Likes

Acer can really kick some axsss!?

Glad that we are having VR competition!

Ohh btw, when we gonna have the rest of our pledges like controllers, lighthouses, handtracking units, extra content, eye tracking, and other bonuses? Another 2 years?

1 Like