New 8K-X MAS Counter Weights Available Now

Yep I can confirm after an evening testing out on Squadrons (plenty of rapid head movement) and NMS (longer more relaxed session), I’m very happy with the new comfort level. Can go for a long session without my cheeks hurting any more.

Now if only I could get the full clarity sorted, but that’s another issue. Maybe, just maybe, when Pimax eventually send the thick foam it may help. But I can’t be sure. I’ve not found any software setting such as IPD or vertical offset to make any improvement. The 5k+ gasket got stuck on the left side and won’t come out, even with considerable force. Need to find a way to remove that without breaking it.

3 Likes

Looks like a well made product.

Myself though, I can just use a ‘D’ size alkaline battery, a layer of duct/gorilla tape around it to prevent slippage, and a single zip tie. Batteries, tape, and zip ties, generally make good ‘free’ counterweights of many sizes for ‘wearable’ tech.

Glad to hear it works :+1: Did you find dropping the cable helps also? Not sure why its proped up such a high angle :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah I used old battery packs on the 5k+, but it was bulkier and less secure. Had to fix it back up periodically. I prefer having a really nice compact solution now, and looks less scrappy than anything I’d cobble together.

Did you find dropping the cable helps also?

Yeah I definitely prefer it this way, before it kept catching on the back edges of my chair and unhooking from the fastener. Adding the ‘soft touch’ coating to the cabling has increased friction too, they should have left that off the cabling if you ask me.

Very happy @Davobkk so thank you again :+1:

3 Likes

Received mine yesterday, great product and noticably improved the comfort.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Received mine too, so much better, took the weight off my nose.

4 Likes

@twack3r @master007 Awesome! Good to be working on the high end stuff :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Got mine today. A definite improvement, thanks.

2 Likes

I got mine today too.

I really like these counterweights! They work much better than the DIY counterweight I have on my 8K, which dangles below the strap and swings around.

I played Elite Dangerous for about 2.5 hours tonight, whereas before I had to stop after an hour or so because of neck strain and pressure on my face. The 300 gr weight seems to balance the headset well, without adding too much excess weight. The extra weight does affect fast head movement though, so these are probably better suited for slower-paced games.

I rate the product, packaging, and service as 5 of 5 stars. Studioform does great work. Pimax could learn a lot from the way they do things.

TL;DR: Great product. I highly recommend these counterweights.

5 Likes

It does become more of an issue, but compensated by tightening the headset a little more. Overall it still needs to be tightened less than before, so it’s still more comfortable.

I also find I can play comfortably for much longer than before, and I also have a slight improvement in eye alignment due to less slippage.

I’ve been testing in Squadrons (very fast movement) and NMS (much more relaxed). ED can be either, depending on whether you’re doing combat or exploration.

4 Likes

Based on the feedback here I’ve ordered today for my Pimax 8K+/Vive DAS.

1 Like

I got them today, they work great but I got not chocolate :grimacing:

4 Likes

Hi. Did you order the set spefically for the Vive DAS? Can you PM your order number to be sure? Thanx!

2 Likes

My counterweight kit and apache strap arrived today. I was already pretty happy with the comfort kit on my 8k+/Vive DAS but this has made it much better.

Thanks

6 Likes

ordered a set of these after trying two shrinkwrapped padlocks on either side at 400g which was a bit on the heavy side, but was much better than without. Cable ties were not ideal.

2 Likes

I have also ordered these counter weights and they are really great. The 8K-X is perfectly balanced now, causing no more pressure on my nose.

5 Likes

I also ordered the weights today.

5 Likes

I’ve been using mine for about a month. They work really well.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.