Nevermind. Backlight works and ghosting is gone!

don’t we already have 60?

The 60Hz refreshrate for 8KX is basically done already. Although there is a problem that the team is fighting currently, to make multiple refreshrates in the 8KX firmware to work and switch properly. It introduces some minor issues. Thats mainly the reason why its so delayed. They will solve it for sure.

I have asked Alex earlier this week if we could maybe - meanwhile - just release separate FW for 60Hz refreshrate. Especially since so many flight sim ppl are waiting for it. Let’s hope…

Btw… may I ask why anyone is still using the DFU-mode procedure when upgrading FW, instead of just using DFU.exe? (Unless the HMD FW is bricked).

6 Likes

I did it because I couldn’t get it to work using DFU.exe.

When I tried with DfuSeCommand.exe I found out that it didn’t work either, unless I unplugged the power only (USB 2.0) cable, so it would most likely also work with DFU.exe when doing that… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thats very interesting. Great find! This could actually help some people who struggles with updating FW.

Thanks for letting us know!

3 Likes

Good news, backlight adjustment works for me finally with this firmware! (Didn’t work with 294).
Persistance is about the same - noteicable in 114 Hz mode and pretty bad in 75 Hz mode with Eleven table tennis (the probably most demanding game when it comes to smoothness of motion).

2 Likes

I just tried with DFU again this time, also. Like in the attempts before it hung at 98%. Had to resort to DfuSeCommand which worked flawlessly. I had both cables plugged in with DfuSeCommand, still works.

3 Likes

60hz on 8kx…seems like a no brainier. Is this ever going to come out?

2 Likes

It’s worked for me before too… :upside_down_face:

It just didn’t find the headset until I unplugged the secondary cable this time.

I’m thinking maybe the secondary cable isn’t just power after all or unplugging triggered something in the headset.

3 Likes

@SweViver said he is testing the 60hz firmware right now and that it is working well so far…hopefully it’ll get released soon

1 Like

Why would anyone want 60Hz?

1 Like

Movie watching and 60hz can be quite playable depending on program.

VD for productivity might even be an idea.

1 Like

I’d give 60Hz a try to see how some 2D games perform using Nvidia surround (super ultra wide bezel-less monitor) + SteamVR desktop or Virtual Desktop since my 2nd monitor is only 60Hz. I put my Quest 2 on 60Hz through Virtual Desktop and my eyes wanted to fall out, so hopefully there isn’t much flickering with the 8KX.

1 Like

I heard this word mura so many time but still don’t know how it looks :))

1 Like
2 Likes

Is it mandatory to unplug the Display Port before uploading the FirmWare?

No it’s not. Just press upload.

2 Likes

Quite easy to simulate: wear a pair of dirty googles, or hold a slightly dirt or rippled glass plate straight in front of your head, then move around. Its a greyish haze/pattern that moves with your head/vision.

If you havent seen it in your HMD means your panels dont have it. You cant miss or ignore it otherwise. Consider yourself lucky, because a high amount of mura is way worse immersion killing than any SDE i’ve ever seen.

1 Like

Yes. Marcin and I have been testing it for a while, it’s within the upcoming version of the X FW. I can see benefits in it with FS 2020 and movie watching.

9 Likes

I still want the original backlight brightness I had from a leftover dev tool on my pc. I used it for a LONG time and it did nothing bad to my 5k+. Compatibility stopped with later firmware updates forcing it out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.