Nevermind. Backlight works and ghosting is gone!

It breaks Pimax backlight brightness adjustment when .86 V7 is installed with 0.70 PE. It goes to default brightness but at least the ghosting is eliminated. I actually prefer a ghosting free picture over higher brightness. But I hope Pimax releases new firmware that allows us to increase brightness without introducing the ghosting issue.

After restarting the headset, backlight adjustment works perfectly and the ghosting is gone too!

9 Likes

is the pitool different then what we used before? because i only installed pimax experience 0.70 and all is well

Really? I really like the brightness adjustment I have running now and was just about to give .70 a go…

Update: After restarting the headset, backlight adjustment works perfectly and the ghosting is gone too!

3 Likes

That’s excellent news. It was keeping me away from the latest releases.

1 Like

The ghosting was apparently only noticeable at higher brightnesses. I had it set to 80 and didn’t notice any ghosting (but I did reboot the headset, since I ran into firmware flashing issues).

I’m having some trouble.

So yesterday I finally updated my firmware to that 294 beta with the brightness. Following your youtube video.

I installed Pitool 1.0.2.087v2

and then installed PE v84

the backlight adjustments doesn’t seem to do anything.

Am i using the wrong version?

Have you tried restarting your computer? Also there might be newer brightness firmware now. Check with Sweviver.

Yeah i restarted and I also clicked reboot hmd.

nothing seems to do anything.

@SweViver any ideas?

Hmm I guess your 8KX headset haven’t updated to the latest firmware. Im pretty sure its supposed to auto-update to this version with latest PiTool, but in case it didn’t, here is the file:

4 Likes

yes this worked. I actually figured it out before seeing this. The problem is that someone linked this file and i was using this file which is wrong.

Which is funny because in pitool they both have the same version number. Pimax really have to make this kind of thing easier.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/8kx-294-beta-firmware-sept-8-2020/30691

3 Likes

Agreed the firmware version number should have changed. We asked before if there was 2 versions of 294.

1 Like

And now you know. Whats weird is that they had no problem labelling Pitool .87v2🤪

I don’t think it was unthinkable that I made this mistake, as I was under the impression that backlight adjustment was a feature that was for all headsets.

but now i see a special version of it just for 8kx is the one where its enabled.

That other version of 294 … are its features included in the 8kx one?

AFAIK the 8kX on seems a month newer

1 Like

Tbh not sure so yet another Unsolved Mystery. :laughing:

1 Like

Could you try this 8KX Firmware with backlight? Got it from Alex today, and it works great here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dLrDe28NGoLVj45TdgX27yA1qbCMiePj?usp=sharing

8 Likes

I like that You’ve called it 75Hz specifically… :wink:

There’s a hint there, I think… Nudge, nudge… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Don’t want to kill the fun here, but we still need some more help from Nvidia to get higher refreshrate to work with 8KX. It not impossible, but they need more time it seems.

18 Likes

Any release notes for this 295 firmware?

2 Likes

I’m now using the new firmware and it seems to work fine but not sure if I can tell a difference.

2 Likes

How do you update it if the Pitool says it is up to date?