Nevermind. Backlight works and ghosting is gone!

Hmm I guess your 8KX headset haven’t updated to the latest firmware. Im pretty sure its supposed to auto-update to this version with latest PiTool, but in case it didn’t, here is the file:

4 Likes

yes this worked. I actually figured it out before seeing this. The problem is that someone linked this file and i was using this file which is wrong.

Which is funny because in pitool they both have the same version number. Pimax really have to make this kind of thing easier.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/8kx-294-beta-firmware-sept-8-2020/30691

3 Likes

Agreed the firmware version number should have changed. We asked before if there was 2 versions of 294.

1 Like

And now you know. Whats weird is that they had no problem labelling Pitool .87v2🤪

I don’t think it was unthinkable that I made this mistake, as I was under the impression that backlight adjustment was a feature that was for all headsets.

but now i see a special version of it just for 8kx is the one where its enabled.

That other version of 294 … are its features included in the 8kx one?

AFAIK the 8kX on seems a month newer

1 Like

Tbh not sure so yet another Unsolved Mystery. :laughing:

1 Like

Could you try this 8KX Firmware with backlight? Got it from Alex today, and it works great here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dLrDe28NGoLVj45TdgX27yA1qbCMiePj?usp=sharing

8 Likes

I like that You’ve called it 75Hz specifically… :wink:

There’s a hint there, I think… Nudge, nudge… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Don’t want to kill the fun here, but we still need some more help from Nvidia to get higher refreshrate to work with 8KX. It not impossible, but they need more time it seems.

18 Likes

Any release notes for this 295 firmware?

2 Likes

I’m now using the new firmware and it seems to work fine but not sure if I can tell a difference.

2 Likes

How do you update it if the Pitool says it is up to date?

Get this flasher tool, then watch the video how to use it:

Firmware Flasher Tool GD
Using Flasher Video

There is no need to disconnect the HMD or uninstall PiTool, just stop all “pi*” processes and tinker with the 3 buttons until you enter DFU mode. Took me a few tries, but hey, this belongs to the experience. :wink:

As far as i can see the firmware works great, the increased brightness really makes the image look way more vivid, how it should have been from the start. Tested with some nature videos (REAL nature, lol) and love it !

But it also makes the already horrible mura on my 8KX even more visible …

4 Likes

Quick question B4 I proceed with this, 1 Because I have the optical cable I am assuming I have to use the USB cable 2 copy the 295 DFU file into the Firmware Flasher Tool open CMD and follow the video right?

I’m no expert, but I think you can just use the optical cable. My understanding is that it should act like a USB cable, as far as data transmission is concerned.

3 Likes

Haven’t got any information about release notes for this FW. At least there is nothing new in the version from what I can see.

Optical cable works fine to upgrade firmware, just like the original cable. It still uses the same USB data connection. I use mine every day.

Flasher tool?

Just use the DFU.exe file in PiTool installation directory inside Runtime folder. Browse the firmware file and let it do the job in a few seconds. Just make sure your Pimax is connected and running, and dont unplug or use the headset until it automatically reboots after FW flash.

10 Likes

Al went well, just a quick note: after reboot Windows will not recognize the USB(optical version) so just unplug and plug it in a different USB port.

1 Like

how do you enter DFU MODE on 8kx. since theres no power adapter?

Just followed 'part" of SweViver’s guide, just pressed the 3 buttons I count 10 secs started with the power button.

3 Likes

With the unit powered off (brightest red led):

• Press and hold all three buttons
  • After ~10 seconds release the power button
  • After ~10 more seconds release the volume down button (next to the power button)
  • Release the volume up button

Pretty sure that’s it (did it Yesterday).

4 Likes

How about lower refresh rates? Been waiting for 60Hz for ages.

1 Like