Neither pitools nor PE launch games properly

Hi guys,
I’m having a lot of trouble with Pitools and the PE.
Neither of them seem to import games perfectly, nor launch them post import.
I have particular trouble with Il2 and Assetto Corsa.
Here’s one of the common issues I have: I wind up with a steam library screen overlaid on top of my launched game screen, with no way to select the game or dismiss the screen. I do not have Steam controllers, and the mouse doesn’t work in Steam.
Here’s a picture of that:

Here’s another issue: sometimes the game just fails to load and seems to crash. on the Task bar of my flat screen, I can see Steam VR, pitools and IL2 all running, but IL2 is just a blank screen. Sometimes I get this picture:

I exported the Pitools log today- see my pastebin page:
pimaxloggfinn - Pastebin.com
I’d like to get this sorted- right now I have to disable the PE and even with just pitools I sometimes have to start steam, run pitools in the background, and then start the game from its desktop icon.
I don’t think that’s how it should work is it?
Thanks
Finn

2 Likes

@sweviver… Martin did you see my post here? I forgot to put your name in the text body- not sure if that’s important.
Cheers

1 Like

Hi Finn, thank you for the report!

First off, I would like to ask you what kind of platform are these games on? Are these games native Steam-versions, or manually imported into your Steam library from another platform like GOG or standalone versions?

If the games are SteamVR versions, like Assetto Corsa, there is no need to import the games at all, as they will be automatically imported to your SteamVR category in PE. This will ensure Assetto Starts in VR mode.

Although, based on my experience, Assetto Corsa is originally a non-VR game, which can be run in VR, but upon launch it will bring you to the desktop main menu without anything seen in the VR headset (except for SteamVR background). There is no real workaround for that at the moment. The race still needs to be started with a mouse.

Regarding SW Squadrons, in case its the Steam/SteamVR version, is there any specific reason why you are manually importing it? Just try launching it from the SteamVR category in PE and it should launch in VR.

Same goes for IL2. If its not a Steam-game (standalone version), you should manually import it into PE with .exe as Launcher (not SteamVR or PiTool/PVR Launcher) as it will not work.

Could you please send me the PE logs as well? (In PE, go to Customize menu, in the bottom click the button “Export Logs” and the files will be exported to your Desktop).

Thanks

3 Likes

Hi Martin. See my post for a link to the pastebin page with my export logs.
IL2 is not a steam game. I purchased Assetto Corsa from steam.
I’ll try re-importing IL2 using the Launcher.exe bin.
We’ll see how it goes. Is it possible to completely delete all the Pitools files and programming and do a clean install? WHen I reinstall it, it keeps all the games- even the imports that don’t work.
Thanks
Finn

The standalone il-2 “Launcher.exe” always comes up in 2D. There is a “il2.exe” in the same folder which runs the game in 3D.

I haven’t been able to get the standalone to launch in PE either. I end up launching virtual desktop and then running it from there. Not a great way to get it to run, but it does work.

2 Likes

I understand. I use the standalone IL2 version as well. As @TheHog107 already mentioned, il2.exe will start the game directly, but there seems to be a problem when launching it from PE. Let us have a look into this. It might just require a simple fix.

In “C:\Program Files\Pimax\PVRHome” (or wherrever you installed PE if you chose a custom directory), there is a Uninstall.exe. Running it should remove the entire folder, including some registry keys. the only thing it does not remove is game thumbnails and profiles, because these are shared with Pitool and should never be deleted upon uninstall.