My experience with Pimax 8K X - Guide and Review

Pimax Review

VR is a revolution because you are inside the game. You can’t have the same experience playing with a PC/Console and a BIG 65 inch TV as monitor You can’t have the same experience playing with a PC/Console and an Enormous screen of a Cinema projector

You see the world in 3D. In steam VR there is a room where you could make a view measurement. Well at 1,5 meters I see 10/10 while at 4.5 meters I see 6/10* with new eye glasses. Like in the real world you see more details when an object is near and less when is far. Then the floor in VR is where is your floor, Also audio is 3D and at 360 degrees.

If you want to improve the experience there is locomotion and other accessories

VR Headset: Pimax 8K X
Audio: SMAS
Pitool 271 alfa (2nd release of 271)
Firmware 298

“Avenger PC”
Case Cougar Conquer 2
Power Supply Corsair AXi 1600 (Watt)
Keyboard Smart (Logitech G910)
Mouse 3D
Motherboard Gigabyte Vision Z490D
CPU Intel 10850KA 5,1 GHZ (10 core - 20 Thread)
Cooling Cougar 360 Aqua
RAM 16 Giga Ram DDR 4 Teamgroup T-Force Dark Z FPS (4000 Mhz)
GPU Asus 3080 TI OC TUF
Hard Disk n.2 1TB Teamgroup T-Force M.2 NVMe SSD Cardea Ceramic
Audio 3D

OS Windows 10 Version 21H2
Bios Optimal Settings (Stability is 100%)

Special feature : Yellow USB Port (Clean Signal and Voltage Regulation)

Benckmarks
3DMARK SPY DEMO = 17634
(CPU = 4,8 Ghz, RAM 2400 hz, Power Profile = High Performance)

LATENCY MON
Processes =139 Utilization = 0% - 1%
Test 1 26 Seconds: Highest Measured Interrupt to process Latency = 12,10
Test 2 26 Seconds: Highest Measured Interrupt to process Latency = 11,40
Test 3 26 Seconds: Highest Measured Interrupt to process Latency = 10,40

*Pitool 1.0 Steam SS 100%

Short review

PRO
Headset : Good Plastic, no breaks
Comfort: No Eyestrain , No marks on my forehead
Resolution: no issues with frame rate and High Resolution (I do not see pixels),
Colours and contrast are perfect, blacks are good for a lcd
Tracking is excellent: using Two towers for basestations
I play at 75 Hz and Normal FOV, but 90 Hz works and works also 114 Hz in Upscaling
No Distorsions at Normal FOV
Steam game compatibility is Excellent
Plug and Play using “Plug and Play operating protocol” :slight_smile:
MIXED
SweetSpot : with only few Horizontal degree more this could be the definitive VR headset . I wear glasses, so maybe users without glasses will experience a better sweetspot than me
SMAS Sound = Clean 3D sound but the volume is only OK. If you have Valve Index
you have to change for KDMAS or DMAS. For me is not an issue but a loud volume would be better.
BAD
Issue 1= If you move your head fast in a direction then in the opposite direction all your VR world shake. While you play this do not happens. Sometimes you have this issue in a mild form and you have to quiet your head movement
Issue 2* = Room setup calibration give random results causing you have to repeat it several times to have a good one.
Issue 3* = Blacklist titles causing SteamVR 208 crashes: JITTER TEST 1.1
Issue 4* = Pitool is unstable causing Random Headset Crashes (that Steam VR report with number 208) and other tracking issues you have to eliminate before starting a Playing session
Issue 5* = Steam VR 208 Crashes occurs if you set Pitool 2. Some titles do not start.
Issue 6* = Pitool do not initialize at start all the options (for example PP, FOV etc ) with common settings
Issue 7* = Playing with PP the led of the headset do not change at violet colour
Issue 8* = When you close Pitool, the App and others Pimax services stays in Background process.
Issue 9* = You can’t clean lenses while the Headset is plugged and On. There is the risk of the image rotating.
Issue 10* = 9 Axis is not calibrated (3D centered)
Issue 11* = Absence of Pimax Pitool UnInstall procedure

*While first room setup with Pitool 271 (Alfa version - It’is second version) went perfect you will have many issues with pitool and you have to discover some workarounds to avoid or reduce them and then fast solve these issues when happens.

Ultimately i believe these issues are the combination of bad pitool/firmware programming, incorrect operations of the user and the fact that games are not made for Pimax (for example incompatibility with Valve Index Controllers) and have bugs.

Updating Pitool/Firmware might solve all The issues marked with *
Better than “Plug and Play operating Protocol ”

Also uninstalling Pitool and reinstalling the same Version might improve all the issues
marked with * . For example at beginning, closing Pitool, then the App and others Pimax Service did not stay in Background Process. This is changed with time.
However you can’t without a complete and Verified UnInstall procedure

if Pimax do not call a new Pitool release “Stable”
and they do not update the manual
You are testing for Pimax their Software
This is not acceptable for a product 1 year after it’s on the market
(End 2021 summer) That is when I have opened the box for first time

PS I have not installed a new couple Pitool/Firmware because I have only Pimax 8K X
From what I have read New Versions of Pitool/Firmware have issues with Installation
I can’t take the risk of this operation

Please Read detailed review

Detailed Review

First thing to say is that Pimax 8K X is my first VR Headset.

I have bought it at the end of 2017, I am a Kickstarter backer

I recevied the Headset at september 2020. Unfortunately I pre-ordered a 3090 extreme from gigabyte that the shop never sent me so I had to change for a 3080 Ti to complete the PC and I was lucky to have one soon.

I never tried Meta/HTC/Valve Index and HP G2 Vr Headset, so I cannot make comparisons

Phase 0 = Installation /first Set Up- Phase 0 went well but…

Please make attention, while 3080 Ti belongs to 3000 RTX series Graphic boards
You should think at 3080 Ti as a new Graphic board, with driver Support beginning with Nvidia Driver xxx.xx at june 2021

For this reason I did not install Pitool 270/Fw 298. While these are called Beta Version from Pimax They were the most stable Pitool release in 2021 but they need to work Nvidia graphic drivers that now are old and incompatible with 3080 Ti

To begin you have to find a place for the two Base Stations.
I suggest to put base stations mounted over towers, you could move in the room.
Remember you have to create a gaming area without nothing inside
I have put in the middle of this area a Packaging Plastic Paper attached to the floor
This is the place where I have placed the VR Headset during room calibration.
So when I begin to play I am always at the center of the gaming area for best tracking
I do not speak here of the original room scaling I made because I have changed. As I have said it went well but When I Put the headset on the head I saw a double image, also the Pimax Logo in a complete black Sky is not a good idea with a lcd Headset. Add that I can’t fit well the headset from behind. So bad first impact with VR . I tried to change IPD , but nothing. After several try I decided to wear Eye glasses and the double image went away. As PimaxUsa said one time, after a day of use you learn to wear the Headset, the ring mechanism became softer and the headset fit without hassle

(Phase 3). My IPD is 67 and My Pimax 8K X matches it. This is good.

The lesson of Phase 0
If you wear glasses in the life you need them for VR

Phase 1 = Playing with Pitool and 5 of 11 Title from my library – Phase 1 was a little disaster…

Pimax 8K X is bigger than other Headset and it’s the headset of choice if you wear Eye glasses. Every other aspect, review etc do not have importance. Listen to me.

but unfortunately I was unprepared. My eye glasses had very old prescription, with right glass full of scratches. I could not see as I would liked to see from both eyes…
Steam VR has a room where you could make a view measurement.
With old Eye Glasses at 4.5m I saw bad. 5/10 was bad. This is normal if you think I had trouble to dishern between F and P at 2/10 with right eye in Phase 1

There is a valve polar room with an owl and I remember that i went down the way between the ice where the firewood is on to adjust the headset to see well only with left eye and closing the right eye . This fill me of hope for phase 2

Speaking of this room, the Sound of SMAS is clean, 3D and works at 360. My home is quiet so Volume after adjustment is Quite Good for me. But I believe
if you have Valve Index you will have an issue with the Volume of SMAS

Pimax 8K X SMAS Audio VOTE = 7 (Quite good)

You know there are also Kdmas (I have it) and DMAS, I never tried them

First game I tried in phase 1 was the famous game VR KANOYO

I cannot forget the first time I saw Kanoyo coming in the room asking to sit near her. VR is so great you cannot imagine if you never tried

FINAL VOTE TO VR = 10+++

VR KANOYO is not hard to play but it’s incompatible with Index controllers. then you have to find the commands to play . For example to answer yes at Kanoyo’s questions you have to move your head up and down like an horse.

My suggestion for you as first title to play is TOGETHER VR.
Here you play with a girl called Mey at 4 minigames. The first is the darts game. It’s crazy. (Tweaking Phase 2) Do you know that this game has teleport in the room ? If you don’t you have to play again Together VR because this change all the experience of minigame 4 and minigame 1 too.

NO MAN’S SKY. If you like to travel in the space. This is the game for you. It’s perfect for Pimax 8K X they are not using the black colour for the sky. I suggest to play a little no Man’s Sky before on the monitor to learn the mechanism of the game. Still this is not good as first title to play for a beginner but I have a tweaking to help you. (Tweaking Phase 3) In the game to take the multitool pistol is essential. Carry your right hand near the shoulder. When the controller begins to vibrate you have to tighten the grip of the controller

THE WALKING DEAD SAINTS AND SINNERS = This game is not good as first title to play for a beginner. I will return to play The Walking Dead Saints and Sinners in Phase 3. So you find my comment there.

FALLOUT 4 VR = At the dawn of VR this title was a must. With “Avenger PC” the frame rate is not an issue. But You have to tweak the graphic. HTC controllers are better than Valve Controllers. Need Parallel Processing.

JITTER TEST 1.1 = BLACKLIST

What is Blacklist ? They are App/games you could play but causes crashes

Using Pimax 8K X you will have 3 issues

a) Basestations grey at start. This was not a great issue for me because “Avenger PC” is on the table and the rear is accessible. But do you like to unplug the data cable and then plug again ? I don’t’ so I tried also other methods. For example the Pitool Options “Reboot Hmd” and “Restart Service” are useless to solve the issue. Mixing this with all the other issues, experiments and the VR learning curve of games lowered the experience of phase 1 a lot. What are the other issues ?

b) Violet led and blinking stripe green led. The green led should be Violet when you are gaming with Parallel Projection. This never happened. Pitool remember all the settings you played in the last gaming session while showing common settings where PP is not selected. This is without doubt another issue or bad programming. So if you have played Fallout 4 with PP as last game; in the next game session (for example another day) you will have Violet led and blinking stripe green led. In Phase 1 I did not know how to solve these issues. I tried to save the “common settings” again and restart the pc from zero to eliminate the violet led. This method sometimes work , other times not because The violet led was still there. This was frustating. So i have to try again until was ok. Then i have to get up again from the chair if Basestations were grey in pitool to unplug and plug the data cable.

c) Steam VR 475 error and Steam VR error 208. Pitool is unstable or Games have bugs. This give Steam VR error 208. When You have this error you have to unblock the headset to begin to play. In phase 1 I run games from Steam VR home. This is wrong. Sometimes Steam VR do not give the error : you think you are ready to play but when you wear the headset in steam vr home your hands are not at the wright place or worst you are flying at 1 meter from the floor . You can’t play. Closing Steam VR and Running again might give the Steam VR error 208. One time to unblock the system I decided to reinstall steam and Steam VR. Obiousvly I had to make again the room scaling. I stayed few days trying the room scale again and again until I had a good one.

To have all three Issues together is insane.

Final Vote to Pitool = 4 (Bad)

I would say I was at the limit to send back the headset but the warranty of one year was off after I have waited an year for the graphic board

So I have to improve all the situation but how ……

Phase 2 = Playing with new Eye glasses, now I have 23 titles, better stability and a work around solution for seated gaming titles

Finally at christmas I have new eye glasses and i can see VR
The difference was night and day

But what is the difference between Native Mode and Upscaling Mode with new Eye glasses ?

Pitool 1 SS 100%
Native Mode Resolution is 3788 x 3160
at 1.5 Meters I see 10/10
at 4.5 Meters I see 6/10

Pitool 1 SS 100%
Upscaled Mode 114 hz Resolution is 2560 x 2104
at 1.5 Meters I see 8/10
at 4.5 Meters I see 4/10

But it’s all a bit foggy (lack of definition), blacks at distance are greysh
The White background color Menu selection of Together VR give a sensation of Pink but I have to say that the movement of the hand is perfect at 114 hz

While at end of phase 1 I terminated experiments on resolution with Pitool 1 and Steam at 100% searching for stability

In phase 2 I will change to Pitool 1.5 and Steam at 43% FOV Normal

Pitool 1 and SS 100% = 3788 x 3160
Pitool 1.5 and SS 44% = 3768 x 3144

I remember that 25/12 I had a tracking issue: my hands in VR were in another place
I still did not know the work around for this issue

26/12 I would liked to play in the morning but I ended to play in the afternoon
All three issues I have spoken in Phase 1 conjured against me

In phase 2 I did not run Jitter test, I did not play Fallout 4 VR but I am making experiments with desktop mode of Steam VR Home trying to watch Netflix
I believe this was the cause of a couple headset crashes

After this I finished experiments and changed the resolution
having a period of Better stability

Instead basestations grey at start were always more frequent – about 50% of times
One time after I unplugged data cable and then Plugged again Basestations were still grey
I fear that Pimax 8K X at this rate will die: If Pimax 8KX do not see base stations at the end I will finish to play VR
I have to try a solution so I began to build a new procedure that reached completion in Phase 3 called “Plug and Play Operating Protocol part 1” for this issue

This procedure have been my safety

The most important title of Phase 2 is GOOGLE EARTH VR
WoW this title is phenomenal. You could visit places from home
I went at Fortaleza in Brasil walking on the beach and watching buildings around with Street View. At Paris I was in the bar of tour Eiffel. In Italy at Venice and Inside The Crater of Vesuvio. But he best for me was the Ufo Bar near area 51…

AIRCAR is one of the best title for Pimax 8K X . How real is VR ? Try to fly upside down and you will understand. This title also shows that Pimax 8K X has zero distorsions when moving head. Played in Phase 3 at Normal FOV and Pitool 2.0 SS 100% at 7576 x 6320 :slight_smile:

Seated title : APOLLO 11 VR HD , TITANIC VR and VR PARADISE all have tracking issues. Why ? It’s the chair. Maybe because the base stations are not in the corner of the room (Recommended position). The 100% solution is to play them only with the front Basestation

APOLLO 11 VR HD : Moon landing, to watch through the small window of the spacecraft takes your breath away and the strumentation is so clear. Be careful, this title need Parallel Projection. Same for TITANIC VR

VR PARADISE is the ultimate strip Club. You are There. Guys it’s incredible.
Phase 3. You could spank the girl. Amazing.

ISS TOUR VR. Interesting but where is the window where you see earth ?

KOIKATSU PARTY. This is an Hentay game. Very Beautiful. Need Parallel Projections. You will not find this title in The pimax games list or in Steam VR
To play KOIKATSU PARTY in VR you have to select PP and click Apply. Then run the game from Steam and choose VR from your seat. Then go in the middle of your gaming area and wear Pimax 8K X

WARHAMMER AGE OF SIGMAR TEMPESTFALL = I have played a lot this title in phase 2 . Finally I am playing deep to a true VR game . I like it . Dark environment helps sweetspot and programmers had the great idea of all these fluorescent ghosts you are busy to fight. At one point you must get through a narrow place by putting you . WOW I have thought really to being there. This title give you a complete VR Experience and it’s also easy to Play. As first title to play this is a good one for a beginner.

POWER SHOW VR = You cannot play this game with Index Controllers. I do not like graphic. Parallel Processing needed.

MEDITATION VR = Hmmm tried only one time I don’t know Yet. Parallel Processing needed.

The lesson of phase 2
In the reality you watch to the center and move the head not the eyes to watch far from the center
In VR you have the headset on the face and you move eyes and not the head
You have to change this and Street View (google earth) is the best tool to change this behavior to stay inside the Sweet Spot.

Phase 3 = Little Improvement to the sweet spot, now I have 24 titles, Plug and Play operating protocol and a complete set of Work Around procedure

The new phase begins when I put Pitool at 1.5 SS 100%.

Pitool 1.5 SS 100% Normal FOV
Native Mode Resolution is 5680 x 4740

Pitool 1.5 SS 100% Small FOV
Native Mode Resolution is 4696 x 4740

This give a little improvement to Horizontal Sweet spot
When finally I begin to adjust sofware IPD, I had also a little improvement to Vertical Sweet spot

How Large is Pimax 8K X Sweetspot ?
When you run Together VR all the title in the presentation is inside the sweetspot
Pimax 8K X SweetSpot vote is 6 = Ok.

Many will found bad that if you move only a little the headset you lost the sweetspot

AFTER THE FALL = What beautiful game!!! This is one of best title.
Please be carefull to gaming calibration every time you play. (Tweaking) Do not move the waist when asked to avoid head tracking issues

SNIPER ELITE VR = This is a good title that need Parallel Processing . Please be carefull: (Tweaking) you have to unplug an option of realism in the menu to frame your target through the gunsight of the rifle.
After I have played SNIPER ELITE VR
Final Pimax 8K X Tracking vote is 9 = Excellent

It’s at this point that I made the first REVIEW OF PIMAX 8K X on road to vr
because they were speaking bad of VR

What is changed from then ? I have Played much more including all the other games I have, ended a “Plug and Play Operating Protocol” and added work arounds for every issue.

THE WALKING DEAD ONSLAUGHT = This game returns the atmospere of Walking dead. You are Rick. For a beginner this title is better to play than The walking Dead Saints & Sinners but it’s not easy to go forward in the game. Please be carefull to gaming calibration: (Tweaking) Keep arms parallel to the body when the game ask to press the trigger to avoid graphics and tracking issues in the game. Need Parallel processing.

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY = This horror game is interesting. I like it. I bought the game to try the blacks of Pimax 8K X. You are at home in the dark: How are blacks ? See them now with Pimax 8K X outside the house with full moon. Blacks are as they should be. Outside Take the key on the sofa and open the door of the house. Give a look to the room with the fireplace through the sliding door. These are very dark blacks. Need Parallel Processing.
After I have played PARANORMAL ACTIVITY
Final Pimax 8K X “Black” vote is 8 = Good for an LCD

HALF-LIFE ALYX = Yes, from a technical point of view this is the best game. Now there are photos and Videos of Half-life Alyx taken with smartphone or camera and Pimax 8K X called through the lenses. Some are bluish. I don’t know why there is this rough material on internet I would call trash because colors are very natural outside and pop up indoors. Need Parallel Processing
After I have played HALF-LIFE ALYX
Final Pimax 8K X Colours Vote is 10 = Perfect

PROJECT CARS 3 = To play in VR is another thing. I am not expert of this game and I have played seated with the gamepad and changed to 9 Axis. There are many many options. The sound is low because at default is 80. I have selected from windows the sound bar 3D. It’s Another thing. The resolution when you watch the background is Perfect. Zero distorsions but when you play this game there is more shaking compared to all other games. Found a Pitool Issue. 9 axis is not calibrated. You are not in the center of the VR floor. The effect of this is that you are too much near to the commands screen menu at start. In the game I believe the drive position in the car is correct.
After I have played Project Cars 3
Final Pimax 8K X Resolution Vote is 10 = Perfect

THE WALKING DEAD SAINTS AND SINNERS = I am playing this game again in Phase 3 and it’s all another experience. Game of Year for me. The fun is insane. From a technical point there are few bugs: for example when you crouch there is the risk you lost the knife. Another issue is that you have to (Tweaking) play at Small FOV because at Normal FOV you see an annoying ring. This title shows that reducing the FOV at Small do not reduce the fun. Blacks are not the contrast and a short sequence on the boat with zombies in the water at the end of the introduction shows what Pimax 8K X is capable of.
After I have played The Walking Dead Saints AND sinners
Final Pimax 8K X Contrast Vote is 10 = Perfect

SPIDERMAN FAR FROM HOME = I never thought I would have had the possibility to become Spiderman wearing it’s mask and flying between Palace. Vr transform this in reality. The question is Are you enough agile to emule Spiderman ? This game need Parallel Processing

ONWARD = This is the title of the moment. The war is here. Need Parallel Processing

MARS VR = For the The dreamers would like to go to Mars support this free Title . I have played with Parallel Processing.

I have Played all the games I have so it’s time to give a judgment about
Steam game compatibility and Pimax 8K X…
I never had a game crashing while playing or a title I can’t Play and Here we have a new title MARS VR in alfa version not thought for Pimax 8K X but works.
After I have tried MARS VR
Pimax 8K X Steam Game compatibility vote
with Valve Index controllers is 9 = Excellent
Pimax 8K X Steam Game compatibility vote with HTC Controllers
and Valve Index Controllers is 10 = Perfect

The lesson of Phase 3
Many VR games need some tweakings to begin to play well.
If the user didn’t find them then adding Pitool issues people believe that Pimax is bad.

Dear Pimax this is a sentence.
You have absolutely to take care of this (lesson of phase 3)

I am not any more a beginner now and I can say without doubt
that VR is Astonishing and exceeded my expectations and
that Pimax 8K X is up to the task.

I’m having a lot of Fun with Pimax 8K X and before closing the review,
I would like to be crystal claire: every gaming session last hours without burr

A Vote 10 means that Pimax 8K X in that field
has completely satisfied my expectation

VR 10+++
Comfort 8
Resolution 10
Colours 10
Blacks 8
Contrast 10
Sweetspot 6
Sound 7
Tracking 9
Pitool 4
Steam game Compatibility 9

Final Vote Phase 3 = 8/10

WAIT…;

I WILL COME BACK WITH PHASE 4… !!!
I have left a clue about PHASE 4

FIND IT!!!

APPENDIX

MY ROOM SCALING PROCEDURE
To have a Perfect Room Scaling you must hit these target:

• In VR you are at the center of the gaming area
  • In VR the height of the gamer is correct (It is yours)
  • In VR the floor is where is Home’s floor
  • Perfect tracking of Hands
  • Perfect tracking of the Head
  • Zero Jitter

Basestations are over towers in middle position of the room
The position of towers is facing the gaming area
I have marked the gaming area on the floor
and I already know that every base station see the headset
(blue in Pitool) from every side (you have to rotate the headset to check)

The index controllers were over the chairs (at left and at right position of gaming area)
always on during all three steps in Steam VR Room SETUP

Step 1 I have weared the headset but then i put it on the floor
Step 2 I was behind the monitor, i have calibrated the center position
Step 3 Without changing nothing i Have accepted 0 cm

PLUG AND PLAY OPERATING PROTOCOL PART 1:
ALWAYS CHARGE CONTROLLERS BEFORE PLAYING
Put the headset on the floor in the middle of the gaming area
(Staying on the floor it’s safe if you don’t have dogs and children)
CLEAN THE LENSES BEFORE CONNECTING PIMAX 8K X
UNPLUG ALL UNNECESSARY USB CABLES NOW
Put ON PC from Power Supply
Wait for Fibra line
Run Pitool as administrator : You see 10500 error forget it
Connect Base stations to power
Connect Graphic Cable to the Graphic card (It’s the bigger connector)
Connect the data cable (USB 3.0)
Wait for a sound beep and to see the green led On (the headset)
Connect the usb 2.0 cable always at a black port
Go behind the pc and close the window asking to make room scale calibration
You have to make only the steam vr room calibration during set up
If you don’t have META Games
Basestations will come blue in Pitool
Put On controllers at left and right side of the vr Headset

WARNING : DO NOT UNPLUG AN USB CABLE WHEN THE PC IS ON
For example I have a usb soundbar and it’s connected exactly at the yellow port where I put the data cable of Pimax 8K X. If you unplug the soundbar WHEN THE PC IS ON and then plug the data cable of Pimax 8K X there is a high risk of Grey Base Stations in Pitool at start

PLUG AND PLAY OPERATING PROTOCOL PART 2

• Use Work Around solution for violet led On (the headset) and Green Stripe Blinking before Running SteamVR everytime is needed
  • Run all apps from Pitool Games Menu.
  • Think at steamVR Home as an APP to explore ROOMS made from USERS and VALVE (Need Parallel Processing) and Nothing Else.
  • To finish/change the game in a session Use the QUIT/EXIT PROCEDURE inside the game

(STRICT) PLUG AND PLAY PROTOCOL PART 2
Same as Experimental Plug and Play Operating Protocol Part 2
the only difference is this:

• Make a Black list and do not Run Those Titles

WORK AROUND SOLUTION TO BASE STATIONS NOT RECOGNIZED (Grey)
Unplug the Data Cable (Usb 3.0)
Wait few seconds
Plug Again the Data Cable at the same USB Port.

WORK AROUND SOLUTION TO VIOLET LED ON THE HEADSET AND GREEN STRIPE BLINKING (Headset Crash ?):
Click Apply (common Settings) and Then Save
Close Pitool
In Task manager close Pitool
In Task Manager close Pi_Server
In Task Manager close Pi_Service
In Task Manager close Pi_Overlay
Run Pitool as Administrator
Now the led of Pimax Headset is green and not Violet…

After a crash it’s possible the basestations are grey in Pitool
Unplug the data cable and plug again

WORK AROUND SOLUTION TO THESE INDIPENDENT ISSUES:
- WRONG POSITION OF YOUR HANDS IN STEAM VR HOME.
- YOU HAVE TAKEN A BREAK WHILE PLAYING TO CLEAN VR LENSES: THE IMAGE NOW IN THE HEADSET IS ROTATED
- IMAGE PIXELLATED AND VERY BAD FRAME RATE IN A TITLE YOU HAVE ALREADY TRIED AND DON’T HAVE ANY ISSUE.
Remove from the head your VR Headset
Powercycle Base Stations: Unplug Basestations from the power strip, wait a little and then plug them again
Put On your face the Headset
Tracking now is OK.
The image is OK.

WORK AROUND SOLUTION TO
- YOUR HANDS IN VR ARE FLYING
- GLITCY HANDS IN VR
This is not your pc slowly, resolution too high or Pitool Bugs
These are exaust controllers
To solve these issues remember to charge the controllers before playing
Everytime

WORK AROUND SOLUTION TO
STEAM VR ERROR 478 AND 208

1. RESTART STEAM VR FROM THE DIALOG BOX
    You pass from error 478 at error 208
    Do not Worry
  2. CLICK THE LINK WHERE YOU SEE STEAM VR RESET HEADSET
    After the restart of Steam VR the error 208 is still there
    Do not worry
  3. CLOSE STEAM VR, CLOSE PIMAX PITOOL, RESTART PC FROM W10
  4. RUN PIMAX PITOOL
    If Basestations are not recognized use Work around
    Error 208 is still there
    Do Not Worry
  5. Now It’s time to make Unlock ALL
  6. Restart Steam VR (It’s Asked)

If you are lucky The issue is solved

WORK AROUND SOLUTION TO THESE INDIPENDENT ISSUES
- YOU HAVE PLAYED A LOT AND SUDDENLY YOUR LEFT HAND IS DOWN ON THE FLOOR IN VR AND DO NOT RESPOND. WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR LEFT CONTROLLER IT’S ON
- WHILE PLAYING YOU LOST THE LEFT CONTROLLER FUNCTIONALITY - FOR EXAMPLE INSIDE THE GAME WALKING DEAD SAINTS AND SINNERS YOU USE THE LEFT JOYSTICK FOR MOVING - SUDDENLY YOU CAN’T STOP.
Do not worry
Put OFF the Left controller
wait a moment
Put ON again Left controller
Continue to play

WORK AROUND SOLUTION TO
LOW VOLUME IN STEAM VR HOME
The Default Steam VR home Sound Volume is 73%
You have to adjust it at 100%

WORK AROUND SOLUTION TO
BLUE BASE STATIONS AND CONTROLLERS BLINKING
You have this issue when the base stations do not see the headset
You know that base stations see the headset in that position
but once might happen
Solution:
Take the headset and show it to the base station
then put the Headset where it was before.

WORK AROUND SOLUTION TO
SOME VALVE ROOMS OF STEAM VR HOME:
YOU SEE IN THE RIGHT CORNER A BLACK ZONE MADE OF MANY SQUARES WHEN YOU MOVE YOUR HEAD
Solution: Use Parallel Processing

WORK AROUND SOLUTION TO
10500 ERROR
Unplug and Plug again The Graphic Cable

WORK AROUND SOLUTION TO
THE LED OF PIMAX 8K X IS RED INSTEAD OF GREEN
After some time you do not use the Headset the led change colour;
so the only thing to do is to move the headset or to Put ON the controllers;
However if this do not work and Pimax 8KX LED is still red, video Panel is OFF but you have Sound
in That case apply Work around Solution to “Violet led on and green stripe blinking”

11 Likes

Great Post!!Please check the PM ,There’s an Steam Gift Card for you~
Is this the second time you’ve been rewarded for the guide!?

2 Likes

I have made a small Update

4 Likes

Thanks for some interesting advice in your review guide. Great job ! :+1:

2 Likes

trust me most of your issues can be resolved by pcie usb ports. for some dumb reason i have insanely bad issues with stability and they were all related to usb ports. and I have state of the art equipment.

1 Like

Thank you for your comment

Please Apply Plug and Play protocol Part 1 and Strict Plug and Play protocol Part 2
to avoid issues

Please Apply work arounds to resume playing as fast as possible

It’s all Ok (I do not need to open a Ticket with Pimax : thank you Pimax for the email)

1 Like

Add this to ALYX launch conditions to negate parallel processing

-console -vconsole +sc_no_cull 1 +vr_multiview_instancing 0 +vr_shadow_map_culling 0 +volume_fog_enable_stereo 0

2 Likes

Next Update is planned for October

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.