My 8kx journey [Review]

I had the same on my 5k+ and yes fiddling with IPD to try to solve it led to headaches and eye strain. Not looking good. Sounds like ebay will be awash by the time I get mine.

Ah there we go, so they just replaced the panels with smaller ones which accidentally helped with reducing distortion but they did not change anything else. So all the old issues are unchanged. I have a big nose and need to set ipd smaller than my actual
Ipd for a good image. Canā€™t move my head quickly or the plastic will cut sharply into the flesh of my nose. I was hoping this issue was addressedā€¦

4 Likes

Here is a search result for ā€œEye Strainā€ here. This is really not good to hear at this stage. Basically it doesnā€™t affect everyone. However, speaking for myself, I was never able to get it [8K] working comfortably and got constant headaches after using it. My excitement has gone from an 8 to 1 after hearing this.

:sob:

https://community.openmr.ai/search?q=eye%20strain

1 Like

I think in pimax first few production runs of 8k and 5k+ the optics assembly was just not precisely enough built. And/or quality control by robot/computer was later added.
This is why you have to be lucky not to have ipd/eye strain, etc. problems with first serial hmds.

3 Likes

if you had so many problems, i ask myself why did you get the upgrade?
The mechanic are the sameā€¦
This was not a secret.

1 Like

Iā€™m an 8KX backer, not an upgrader.

3 Likes

I got the 8KX because I hoped this issue was resolved. Who knows it might be for me when I get to try it. I remember it took weeks of fiddling the 8K to get it working properly and maybe the OP hasnā€™t spent enough time with it. That said, if the 8KX requires weeks of fiddling with it then Iā€™m out.

1 Like

The problems are miner. I can deal with it. After using the index for a while i appreciate the ease and hasslefree using it.
But i am an early adopter and an enthusiast. I like thinking outside the box. This is why i support pimax. The vr market needs such a company to move forward.

7 Likes

There are other people who are already whining

In that case better take down the ebay offering, it is still open.

1 Like

You should try to get ahold of the thin face foam, I bet that would help you out, I had a similar issue to yours and some vr cover thin face pads worked for my modded 5k+ strap.

2 Likes

Thank you! ā€¦ ā€¦

what do bakers have to do with this??? All they wanna do is make their bread.

2 Likes

without a baker you have to eat potatoe

2 Likes

Itā€™s concerning that despite all the major positives you listed such as no sde and great resolution, you decided to sell the headset anyway. Are the personal issues really that bothersome? If I had a really good headset with some issues, I would try to solve them first before deciding whether to sell.

Are you going to be using your Index primarily?

2 Likes

It literally hurts my nose. I had this issue with 5k+ and had a hope it might gonna change with an audio strap or comfort kit. Unfortunately it doesnt, it makes it even worse, because comfort kit and audio strap are made assuming the headset to be much lower on the face where it just hits my nose. All this creates discomfort, which you wont notice if your nose is smaller or your face/head is bigger or wider.

I could increase the gap between lenses increasing IPD, but this ruins sweetspot completely. Its possible ill get back to pimax lately when i get new gpu and have more money and time to mod it.

I was using 5k+ with headstrap and comfort mod from davobkk. Credit to him, this had better comfort than currently used by pimax.

@Davobkk thank you once again, your strap allowed me to use pimax during all this time 8kx was in development.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-comfort-mods-on-sale-now/21664

For now i just got sick of pimax support, thats the main reason i get rid of the headset. This decision was made 3+ months ago. I really hoped i will change it, if they would manage to send me my basestations like they promissed to do. But in fact they didnt, their support is incompetent thinking they are still in development, and new headset has no comfort improvements for me. And this damaged foam of the audio strap, its detachable, its small thing you know - but still it affects your first impression and creates questions that i dont even want to talk about.

For now index is going to be my primary headset, even through i will definitely miss that resolution with fov.

19 Likes

I have to say that I have also quite big nose ( ~apache size) but my issue with 5k+ is a bit different - when I put hmd on my head my glasses pressing my nose. I found solution - plaster or small piece of rubber tape glued directly to nose and all pressure is gone. I know that it looks weird - like Jack Nicholson from Chinatown movie but who cares.
Iā€™d rather go for plastic surgery than sell 8kx after 1 day of useā€¦ :wink:

7 Likes

I think the only solution at this point is to get a Rhinoplasty.

2 Likes

Hmm. I hoped the comfort kit would solve some of these issues. I had a problem with my 5k & 8k where the lens rested on my nose & itā€™s really painful.
I have a low ish ipd which doesnā€™t help matters.
I had to mod the original headsets & double the foam distance on the bottom to get the lens off my nose.
I really hope I donā€™t have to do this with the 8kx but its looking like I will.
Fk sake. How long ago was it we were saying pimax needs in/out adjustment like the other headsets on the market.

4 Likes

@Virtualmisterl - the original comkit foam are much bigger as the old. But this brings for some people other problems (in large FOV)