My 8K X Review, bought from eBay

Alright, got my 8K X and tested it out. This is my own subjective exp. So keep in mind :wink:

My Setup: Intel I9900K with an RTX 2080 and 16 GB Ram. It’s a Gaming laptop and with the 3D Club cabel its working with no problem for me.

Comfort:

The angle of the Smas is too short for my head but I could get it work and it feels way better than the Rubberband.

Screen:

The Sweetspot is noticeably smaller than the 5k+ or XR, I had to fiddle it to get the picture sharp but after that it was amazing. Had a little eye strain at the beginning but it was gone after a while.

Screendoor effect is way better, you really appreciate the details in the games! I could still see it in bright skies but u probably will not see it while gaming.

The 75FPS were no problem for me, played Beat Saber on expert to expert plus and it didn’t felt too slow but u will feel the difference when played with higher FPS.

The Colors are a little bit better than the 5k+ ones. I have the new firmware and the backlight is set to 1. Can check it via PE. The Black is better than the 5k+ but not on the Oled level.

For me after 1 Hour gaming with only the USB3 cabel put in, it gets as warm as the 5k+.

I felt more immersed in the games I played with the 8K X

Sound of the Smas is ok and with a better setup actually enjoyable.

If you want to know something specific, just ask :slight_smile:

30 Likes

ahhh, you snatched her away. Grrrrrrrr :wink: congrats

1 Like

Thanks for the review :+1:

I am slightly concerned about reports of a noticeably smaller sweet spot - would have thought ideally we would like it to be getting bigger? Does anyone know if there is a logical reason why it has moved in this direction?

4 Likes

I thought they used the same lenses but I guess since the panel changed and utilizes more. It needed to be changed.

2 Likes

smaller pixels so you get more sensitive

4 Likes

You might be interested in the hinge replacements that Pimax is starting to offer that let the headset angle downward more, might provide a better fit.

4 Likes

I have not heard of this. I’m not that involved in the forum nowadays…

My head is BIG. Like a circumference of 62 cm/24.4 inches…

Do I need that hinge replacements? Angle downward in what way exactly?

@PimaxQuorra @PimaxUSA

EDIT: Found it!!

2 Likes

It could be due to the Comfort Kit. Anything which affects the distance from the eyes to the lenses could change the sweet spot and FOV limits (for better or for worse).

9 Likes

Yes, like looking though a key hole, the closer you are to the key hole, the more you can see.

4 Likes

I have the comfort kit with thin and thick pad on my 5k+ and XR and on the 8KX for me its like that. With the thick pad, that 8kx is for me less eyestrained.

5 Likes

I can confirm that - since its alot more clarity than before, the sweet spot became alot more noticeable for me as well from the 5k+ to 8K X. I can always get the left eye right on the money, but the right eye is always a little off and i cant find the right setting to get both perfect, but ill keep trying!

5 Likes

I found the angle of the SMAS an issue also and thats why i started a thread about it to see if i wasnt the only one. Turns out they changed the plastic KS Backer hinges to Metal ones but at the same time changed the angle. So you can request a new set as mentioned already.

3 Likes

This!

I suggest you also use the IPD adjustment tool @mirage335 is working on, once he has released it. I find it very tricky to get both eyes into this inner sweet-spot, where acuity is at 100%. Often if the headset isn’t perfectly placed on my head, or moved a bit, I will end up with one eye being in it and the other one only in the outer sweet spot (say 95-97%).
On the 8K and 5K+ it probably was the same, but the picture quality was such that you wouldn’t notice the lack of the 3-5% acuity.

6 Likes

You are right, I totally forgot to adjust the IPD XD with that the sweetspot is found easier but still smaller. Thanks for remembering me!

2 Likes

Where is this tool? Can someone link it?

Or is that the PiTool Home Image that you download with the lines?

He means Pitool the IPD offset :wink:

Oh that one. The offset isnt the issue. I got the up/down correct. It’s the IPD. I can’t get one eye centered correctly left/right because the sweetspot is so small and noticeable now.

you can adjust the left and right eye offset in Pitool

Correct, its to offset the up and down movement of the screen.

You said your not a backer or ore order; when did you place your order?