Multi Language Support

Not needed for the public beta but eventullay required for a really great end user experience.

2 Likes

Simply put all the text strings in an external resource, each country will have at least one people happy to contribute with the translation and keep them updated on GitHub

Unfortunately for many people reading English is no different than reading Chinese, so localization is important.

3 Likes

Quite tricky as text is put not only in code, but many times directly in the gameobject text component (graphically) which is how Unity works.

I think an easy way (before we re-make a lot of the code) would be to use a translation database and run a function to translate the existing text in real time. Thats basically how Im changing the text color and size already, a function that does it in real-time upon setting changed and all re-freshes.

1 Like

Please don’t refrain from redoing things the right way. Often enough we only find what we really need well after we already built a whole structure. The longer you wait, the more stuff needs to be rewritten eventually

3 Likes

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.localization@0.4/manual/

1 Like

I have learned it the hard way already haha. So many times I have re-made some functions…
I gotta look into this, but first there are a few more important things to take care of.

3 Likes

Yes, but with your example in French some sentences don’t mean anything with an instant translator because of technical words.