MRTV's Through the Lens of the Varjo VR-2 - Human Vision Resolution

Wow, just wow! That picture quality looks incredible. I wonder how Half Life Alyx would look in this headset? @mixedrealityTV

87 degrees field of view is quite low though. It’s only a matter of time before we get a headset with human FOV and human resolution.

9 Likes

I can see Mura. other than that, looks very sharp!

3 Likes

The smallest and sharperst displays move with de eye tracking or not?

1 Like

Yeah I noticed some fuzzy overlay. So that’s the mura you are talking about? I see it on the StarVR but it doesn’t bother me that much during gameplay. Some games seem to have less mura than others.

2 Likes

@mixedrealityTV is this photogrammetry scene free to download somewhere? Would love to check it out in my 8kx

7 Likes

Not yet. Maybe in a couple of iterations later.

2 Likes

Yes, that is Mura, and yes it can be very distracting. It shows more depending on the colors. Is most noticeable when you move your head and you can sense a static grain over the environment. Asgard Wrath has very little, but most everything has it to various degrees

3 Likes

Amazing quality… at the rate things seem to be progressing, I’m guessing 5-6 years for wider FoV and human resolution at a (high end) consumer pricepoint.

3 Likes

I didnt see any mura :face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I saw a lot of distorsions and 87º FOV.

2 Likes

to much blur. worest camera ever… iPhone?

The colors, ok but I can not read any letter sharp.

really not a good shot.
The G2 video also looks like a David Hamilton Movie to me.

No idea if these will work on other headsets but they are made in unity and are available for download on Varjo’s website here…

3 Likes

I don’t think Varjo’s display mechanism will survive in VR market. It causes high price and is to complex to extend the FoV.

what am i looking at? Did he go to the grocery store looking for wine and take a picture with his cell phone?

(Edit : lol just watched the video… I guess that is slightly impressive)

1 Like

It’s over $10K, 87 degrees fov and the high res section of the display is quite small. The rest of the display is low resolution.

4 Likes

Can’t you say anything positive about other headsets? Most of us here are just enjoying watching new technology, but that doesn’t mean anyone is planning to buy it. The 8K-X is not competing with this headset. And you get numbers wrong all the time. It’s $5790 USD for Varjo VR-2 (for north america) and that includes the mandatory software support. I agree though the 87 degrees FOV is quite low and the human vision resolution is only for custom made content. For SteamVR games, this headset would only use 4K resolution.

8 Likes

Agreed. Each company that is able to push the bar in VR advances the entire field forward. Pimax has shown how amazing wide FOV can be, valve has made excellent controllers, audio, and a very well rounded headset, oculus has mastered easy of use and self contained VR, and Varjo gives us a glimpse of what the next leap forward in resolution can do for presence. Competition is good for the industry and I think we can all agree that each headset has its own strengths and weaknesses. None of them are perfect and many aren’t even trying to accomplish the same thing.

3 Likes

dmel642 - I love new tech and I have tried the Varjo headsets. I say positive things about other headsets all the time and as I’ve said many times I like the Index, the Quest and the O+. When I tried the Varjo (tried it at several different places) it was quite the head scratcher with only a few limited use cases.

Btw - they have 3 different versions and you are quoting the low-end one. The really top one is the XR-1 which is $10k + $2k / year for support. Next is the VR-Pro at $6k + $1k annual support and the one you quoted, $5k + $750 annual support. On top of that they want $450 for the base stations and $150 for the face cushions and no controllers and no audio are included.

So for room scale and audio the XR-1 is $10k +$2k + $450 + $279 + $100 (decent ear buds) = $12,829. The VR-Pro - ~$5k less ($8,829) and the low-end VR-2 ($6,579). So rounding the system is $13k, $9k and $6.5K.

8 Likes

well you got 1/2 of that right.

1 Like

Yes, I suppose controllers are very subjective and the index knuckles are not universally agreed to be the best. I think they are a huge step up from the vive wands at least.

1 Like