MRTV Reverb G2 Through the lens comparison footage

More great Reverb G2 footage from MRTV Sebastian. The G2 picture looks stunning :0)

6 Likes

Pimax could probably make a headset that blows the G2 out of the water if they only had to focus on 114 degrees FOV. The smaller FOV, the more pixels you can fit in there. But most of us want higher FOV.

4 Likes

Yup, I’m the same. I’ll take lower res with high fov any day. FOV is the single limiting factor that keeps me from feeling total immersion, not resolution, refresh rate, etc. Those other things are nice and will come in time, but they don’t keep me from fully entering the VR world. FOV, or the lack of it, does and 90-110 degrees just doesn’t cut it for me.

4 Likes

Yeah, even though my StarVR One is nowhere near the clarity of the Valve Index, I’ve been playing Half Life Alyx on my StarVR a lot and just having so many wow moments looking around. The FOV, colors, and no SDE together make it the most immersive VR experience I’ve ever had.

There needs to be a balance between resolution and FOV for the best experience.

6 Likes

This is exactly the same scene that I tried at VRDays with the 8KX, and the picture was stunning as well, but with 140 of FOV

4 Likes

I totally agree I’m not a massive sim fan but the sense of speed is far greater with a larger fov.

3 Likes

What is that blurring effect on everything as the headset moves, you can really notice it on the white text which is weird as the headset is moving really slowly?

1 Like

i think those TTL on g2 are much closer to the gauges compared to sweviver’s TTL on 8kx.
and seb in previous 8kx preview said 8kx beats g1, so even if g2 has better image quality its still a big drawback against 8kx because of

• no eye tracking
  • not light house tracking if you want that perfect tracking
  • much lower fov (this… how do you go back to narrow fov after wide fov, only if one image quality is trash and the other so much better, which is unlikely in the comparison)

tho another thing to consider is with hp g2 you will probably be much better supported, if you ever had a hmd failure, requires service, requires technical support.

someone really need to do a 8kx TTL close the gauges like the g2 video for us to evaluate the true difference in image quality

2 Likes

Yeah, this video shows nothing really, of course the G2 is going to look better than 2 headsets with half the resolution. Why not do a comparison with the first reverb to show how it has improved against that, maybe that would upset HP and ruin his affiliate status?

1 Like

Thats a fantastic idea, pit g1 against g2.
we already know what 8kx vs g1 is like from sweviver video.

this comparison can reveal where 8kx is at without doing that 8kx TTL video

5 Likes

I do wonder just how much better the G2 will or can look compared to the 8KX? The colours can be improved via software. I’m hyped for my 8KX to arrive and it will look better than anything I’ve had in the past. Roll on.

4 Likes

Pimax could destroy the G2 but looses all because of the terrible customer support and quality problems

4 Likes

No martial steps needed, the goal of the small players should rather be getting some market share from Facebook and Valve (and all together to increase that market in the first place). Having more options is good!

Honestly though why? They have the market cornered with high fov.

I think they should just let the children play with each other. Its like watching kids play, saying their the best but as an adult part of you wants to get in there knowing you can beat all of them but what would that prove? clearly you have an advantage.

Pimax is already wielding tech that is just theoretical to their competition.

:slightly_smiling_face:

The difficult part though is to create lenses that can compress wide panels into such lower FoV. Also they’d still have to come up with improved colors, brightness, refresh rate and distortion free lenses. So it’s not as easy as one might think (at least, if you want to compress 5" 4k panels onto 114 degrees).

A better approach would probably to go with 4k micro OLED panels, they might be able to get up to 114 degrees too, but it would really break the whole Pimax design of course. I think BOE could supply them though.

1 Like

Yes, I think micro-oled displays are going to be the future of VR. They are already used in the Varjo VR-2.

1 Like

FOV is that gives presence to me. With a Star VR 2 with 210-220º of FOV without distorsions, OLED and 4K per eye…I would die from Stendhal síndrome. Or terror.

2 Likes