MRTV Pimax 12K Reveal Discussion

I imagine pimax is looking into offering purchasing Warranty extensions at time of purchase. This is very much needed in countries that do not have mandatory 2 year minimums. And to be truly competitive with other brands.

Pimax though if they workout some kind of standard upgrade program could be an interesting idea on it’s own.

1 Like

I’m inclined to presume that you’ll find anything like that paywalled in contracts offered through the recently announced corporate customer program.

Well… Were it to be expansive extensive enough to accept user IPD-modded headsets, after all, I might be inclined to look around to see whether I got a receipt with my 8kX, and whether it hasn’t gone into the paper recycling bin… :stuck_out_tongue:

While I can’t say. I would imagine a user drastically Modified headset would likely not qualify. But who really knows as details often change the longer resolution is incomplete(5k+ KS downgrade credit/coupon comes to mind).

In all honesty pimax needs to stop releasing key details on idea deals before it is properly finalized on Stone Tablets.

1 Like

Yep - argueably any that has so much as ever seen a screwdriver on the distant horizon, but if a straw is extended, I’ll not not grasp for it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Got another newletter, today, pushing preorders for the PrusaXL 3D printer – another multi-kilobuck toy to wish was affordable. :stuck_out_tongue:

My 8kx with this supposed new housing cracked, I barely use the thing. Pimax materials have known defects it would be ridiculous to not accept them for trade in.

2 Likes

Any screen shot comparisons of the quality of the new displays?

1 Like

That’s why what is considered reasonable? Kind of vague imho.

None that I saw - just an inactive device on the desk, and some still photos of it and peripherals.

One thing that was confirmed, in no uncertain terms, was that there will be dynamic distortion correction, courtsey of of Tobii… Do we know if they have this working on the Varjos yet, and if so how well? :7

What about 8kx with dmas whine is that reasonable condition, I mean it is there all along and I sure as hell wasn’t the one who messed it up and not own up :rofl::rofl:

Yeah honestly it’s was a little disheartening to be told after 2 weeks of support that I had to accept that my expensive 5k+ was just dead.

2 Likes

Yeah except I did nothing to it except believe in Pimax craftmanship.

I would gladly simply have them repair the device, but it was their own tech support that recommended I use it for the trade in program.

You mean like the mod to cut the cowling in two to get the eye-tracking to fit?

So just to confirm. Not sure if it was asked. But the new controllers don’t work if you swap in the SteamVR tracker?

1 Like

Crappy connection when he streamed… Did he lose line of sight to his 60Hz hahah? Dropped it the headset too! If the mouth tracking were to see it - Jaw dropped. :open_mouth: - Still I appreciate his non-showy presentation. Didn’t get any good info from this except we’re still on track for 2022

3 Likes

The new headset sounds like a good upgrade, but I’ll probably skip it. What I really need is a new graphics card, maybe a 4080. My 8KX isn’t reaching it’s full potential with my lowly 2080. Plus, I hardly play in VR lately, but a better graphics card might lure me back.

5 Likes

Yeah, but which one will be available first? And can you trade in your 3080 for a 4090?

3 Likes

The 4080 should be available by the end of the year. (Rumored to be as soon as Sept.) I’m willing to wait; it doesn’t make sense to buy a 3080, when much more powerful cards will be available soon. I don’t want a 4090; they are rumored to need 500-600+ Watts. I have a new 850W power supply (not even installed), but the 4090s will probably need a 1000 W ps. I bought it to power a 3080, but was never able to get one (at a reasonable price). The 4080 should be fine with an 850 W ps.

3 Likes

What’s the hidden feature we’re supposed to love!!!@#?!@? Apparently it revolves about Clarity - “FRC” That’s what the Varjo had (and it didn’t work for anything except …nothing except professional VR software like surgeons would use"

1 Like

My 3080 has funded for the 4090 through mining and if 4090 has good mining speed both of them will be mining while I’m not gaming :rofl:

3 Likes

Probably the biggest takeaway for me: 1xDP1.4 cable on his headset. Other versions use 2xDP1.4. 6K per eye means we’ll have to rely on Foveated Transport to have any sort of good refresh rate… Tobii has shown can be 6x compression. But they want DP2.0 and can’t ensure enough chips are going to be available. Wow. This headset is going to be limited by the wires, but perhaps they will provide an upgrade to DP 2.0 eventually as an accessory. I don’t feel like that was unknown/unpromised, but I feel like Kevin at least confirmed that things haven’t got pushed back beyond Q4…and the “Pimax PC App”