MRTV Pimax 12K Reveal Discussion

If nothing else, one indication that it’ll probably be rather information-meagre, is that what was said after the CES no-go, gave the impression that a gentlemen’s agreement was made between those streamers that did get some sort of meet-up, together with Kevin, that none would “scoop” the others… :7

1 Like

If you don’t like Lighthouse, you can switch to ART. Also only costs 10 times as much… for 5% better tracking :joy:

Sorry, only in German, but the Graphics speaks enouth

link for full information will not work :frowning:

2 Likes

And now MRTV is getting the scoop anyway before them lol

1 Like

You mean available at launch as the Inside out hybrid tracking is not a module. To which a SteamVR tracking module would not be difficult to make.

That being said the SteamVR tracking module might not be needed to simply add SteamVR tracked controllers working along side the Headset’s hybrid inside out tracking.

Either way we need to wait and see what comes and see how it fairs use.

1 Like

There is, my Rift CV1 used cameras . I had 3 and never had an occlusion problem. My light houses theres a blindspot if my back is turned to one while directly under the other with my hands down

1 rift camera was like less than half the $$ of a base station.

Even the wands and Index Controllers are double what oculus touch costs

Not good.

I have a OG vive and 2x 1.0 lighthouses. When one of the two go my Vive will be effectively useless since that hardware won’t work with 2 0 lighthouses.

The whole ecosystem is a rip off

3 Likes

Not really.

1 Like

The base station ecosystem, as it is right now, is on borrowed time and will probably be an addon sold for most HMDs than baked into the headset at best for reasons like this and cost. Making it baked into the headset will just inflate the price even more. It’s still big now since the most popular non Oculus HMD has used it for almost 3 years now, but I wouldn’t be surprised if base station tracking ends up very poorly supported outside 1-2 HMDs in the next 2 years with how much VR has taken off lately and all the things which’re poised to come out.

Inside out tracking is very much the future, with cameras and SOCs on the controllers themselves, as one brand is doing and is supposedly on the Cambria, the eventual endgame I think. Inside out tracking is getting better. The quest 2 is the standard for it right now, and while I don’t think it’s good enough to totally replace it, I think it’s good enough to replace it without much trouble in most games and for people. If it gets moderately better, I think it’ll be good enough outside of a couple edge cases. Like if you’re one of those people who like to do crazy dances in VRChat or use FBT, but even that has some people trying to do non base station tracked FBT that look interesting.

Interestingly, Pimax claimed the 12k’s tracking was improved from the Q2s due to some newer stuff it was using, remember Kev talking about it in Discord, but I forgot the exact details he said, think he specifically mentioned something about the issue of holding the controllers right in front of your face not being as much a problen anymore. I’d really like that to be true since would be happy to ditch my base stations and knuckles for some extra money to pay for the 12k. If one of them fails in the meantime, then I’d really not be eager to pay for the cost of a new one.

1 Like

Buy a spare https://www.amazon.ca/HTC-Station-Virtual-reality-System-PC/dp/B01M01B92P/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2SDA0R4DTH

1 Like

Pimax 12K QLED - $2,399 (Available Q4 2022) The “rest” of the “Reality Series” price points haven’t been revealed yet… including the interchangeable “Covers” (LIGHTHOUSE, MIXED-REALITY, and 5G).

2 Likes

ha , $200 that’s worth more than the headset.

1 Like

This true but then it was your lament and I was only offering a solution. What it’s worth depends on how lamented one is, i suppose :grinning:

2 Likes

Well personally, I don’t find a release date of 3022 at all unrealistic. You guys just didn’t catch the typo! :disguised_face:

1 Like

Had a kid I think…maybe Im thinking of someone else though

Thanks for linking this

You’re right he has a young child now. He was around these forums for the pimax event last october.

1 Like

Hmm. So potential red flag here upon watching the AMA.

PimaxUSA said that for the trade in the device had to be working & have a receipt.
clip

This conflicts with what support told me regarding my now malfunctioning 5k+ (it has a flickering panel). They told me that repair was not the best solution and that I can use it towards the trade in.

If this “working” clause is true I better stop using my 8KX now. :roll_eyes:

this could be quite a risk just continuing to use the product.

Not to mention people who buy into Pimax because of the trade in and through no fault of their own (Quality Issues) now are out of the trade in program.

I’m going to assume @PimaxUSA misspoke.

1 Like

Wouldn’t have recognised Kevin, with the Gordon Freeman-y beard and glasses combo - works for him, I’d say. :7

Kind of curious what is meant by his referring to an: “HDR Algorithm” any time HDR is mentioned… This could mean anything, from tonemapping HDR content to a non HDR display, at one end, or something that tries to “upscale” non-HDR content for viewing on an HDR display, or just the screen and FALD driving…

Why would they accept a non-working device? It’s like here buddy…take my crappy headset that I just dropped and it’s now broken in return for money.

1 Like

Pimax at times seems to Stumble with there info. Just best to keep records ie your Support mail that already clarifies your flickering 5k+ qualifies. Though at KS purchase price will not yield too much in Trade in Value as an after KS purchase.

This is simply again where they need to dial in communication clarity and control info releases with better Care.

Reasonable Condition : is interesting. As do cracked housing qualify? A known early defect in materials with some(very few it seems) newer Vision models also experiencing cracks.

2 Likes

I’m still hoping for the ability to get a longer warranty than just 1 year on such an expensive device without having to rely on local laws or throwing a legal book at Pimax.

1 Like