Motion Compensation Pitool Update

@PimaxUSA Did motion compensation ever get finished in Pitool or is there a plan to do so? I have just tried it out again after not trying it since last year hoping that it would work now but notice that while it works in terms of the tracking and motion cancelling aspect, there is still no option to “Set Zero” the orientation making this unusable. It seems such a shame thats its not quite finished because the hard work seems to have been done already but all we need is a simple set zero button to make it useable.

Any update or info on this would be appreciated and Im sure there will be plenty of others wondering if this will ever be provided in an update.

8 Likes

I talked to the Pitool team and bubbled up this feature request.

14 Likes

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! (Char count)

Thankyou for taking the time to reply and getting the word back to the pitool team, it’s much appreciated. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for a future update :smiley:

3 Likes

@PimaxUSA

Is there any update on this feature request at this point? From what I understand, this feature was already working successfully in previous PiTool iterations, namely version 180.

Thanks for your feedback on this.

1 Like

Open VR motion compensation software:
https://ovrmc.dschadu.de/

If you use FlyPt it even works without needing a tracker or physical controller.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, OMC doesn’t appear to work correctly with Pimax HDMs.

I tried both Index controllers as well as a tracker, it lags massively even with all values adjusted in OMC.

I think there may be something else not working as it should there or perhaps a setting in FlyPT? OVRMC doesn’t lag at all when working correctly. I’d give it another look to see if you can work out what’s causing the lag.

I know, OVRMC worked fantastically on my Index but with my 8KX it literally throws me outside the car on the first turn.

I‘ll be digging into settings a bit more but it‘s good to hear that others were able to get OVRMC working flawlessly on a Pimax HMD.

Do you use a tracker for reference?

It’s confirmed not to work with Pimax HMDs by the dev.

With the intention of trying to help you out and possibly anyone else struggling with this, what are the exact steps you do when using OVRMC with a Pimax HMD? I have used this program for quite a while and not had any problems - it still works great for me so I’d like to try and work out whats different between our setups.

For me I do the following:

1. Open Pitool
  2. Turn on HMD and wait for headset to pickup 2x Light Houses.
  3. Turn on my SFX100 kit with Thanos controller
  4. Open FlyPT Mover & activate my chosen profile which also includes the OVRMC output. (My rig dims are already set in the profile which is important for the virtual tracker to work correctly).
  5. Run my chosen game selecting VR from Steam (usually RF2 or DR2.0)
  6. Inside VR, open the OVRMC app from the button on the SteamVR dash and check “enable motion compensation” (assuming the orientation of the virtual tracker has already been correctly set to the centre of my rig)
  7. Go back to game in VR, enter a race and away we go. Motion compensation works.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Alas I‘m not using the sw tracking solution but lighthouse based tracking devices (wand/tracker/knuckles) and that apparently doesn’t work with PiTool HMDs.

Ahh right ok. I’ll have to try the tracker again to test it. Sounds like that could be the thing which doesn’t work then.

Hi, i’m trying to understand the problem as well- i have a 5k+, and a YawVR on the way.

I’m not familiar with FlyPT, it seems to be a software based way to fix what the steamVR update broke, but it’s still not getting real telemetry data, so can only do so much to make the motion sims work, is that right? I suppose the titles that Pimax lists as supporting directly should still work, just not others that need 3rd party software (sim tools etc).

I still don’t have the equipment so haven’t tried to set up, just trying to learn as much as i can before it gets here. Disappointing that so much can be broken simply because steam required an update again.

Are some people working with offline systems to isolate themselves from updates- in the olden days, you could do what you like with a computer without having to worry about the OS, every other application, and now even the BIOS sometimes, trying to “fix” itself automatically, breaking themselves in the process. It seems that keeping an offline system is the best way.

It’s usually only motion compensation which breaks with updates. Since my last post it broken again due to a SteamVR update and now the tracker causes overcompensation. Hopefully this will be fixed but yes it’s annoying how this happens. You could probably just go offline like you say and run a specific version of every software which just works and then not worry but as new games etc come out things may not be supported the other way around.

When its not broken due to SteamVR updates, the FlyPT virtual tracker its self does a better job of helping motion compenastion work than a real physical tracker in my own experience. In FlyPT you can set all the dimensions of your rig and locations of actuators etc so it knows where your rig is at any given time. Obviously there is slight delay in the system but it takes that into account and works very well - it also doesnt suffer from vibrations which a physical tracker can do. Lets hope the devs make this work again soon as its an amazing bit of software!

Thanks for that info- i came across FlyPT a few times, but there’s so many things over the past few weeks, it’s hard to know which to spend time on. I spent a few days learning about OVRIE, only to eventually find that it’s more or less defunct, mostly also due to steamVR updates. It’s so frustrating, but on the other hand, it must be so much more disappointing to the people who spend so much time doing the programming.

On keeping an offline system- that makes sense. But i think that’s what i’m going to do- i’d much rather have a system that works, even if i can’t add new games… Have had this happen too many times- a planned get together with friends, but steam needs to update, which breaks the pimax, leading to an hour or two of fiddling to make it work, it’s really frustrating to see the “steamvr must update” message. I have no idea how windows 10 will respond to not being jacked into the matrix for months on end, but i’m going to find out…

I miss the days when you could buy something, and it just worked for as long as you kept it in good shape.

I’ll spend more time with FlyPT, i’m glad you posted this, thanks!

If you are talking about OpenVRMotionCompensation, then it is breaking because it uses function hooks to “instrument” the lighthouse driver and the poses it reports to SteamVR runtime. This will happen every time Valve changes the interface which OVRMC hooks and cannot be helped.

Pimax could implement it in its driver in a safe way, but I am not sure how functional its implementation is. The best way would be if Valve implemented it in SteamVR, making it headset agnostic (as they already have all important algos in the runtime implemented), but for this I guess, it would need a really big motivator :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.