More Distortion On 8k Than 5k Plus (MRTV)

Mixed reality devices have a 60hz mode and are 6dof devices but nobody ever detected that kind of distortion.

1 Like

Don’t know if this is really in actuel VR MR headsets but

Oups look like brain warp to me, hope Pimax have a patent

5 Likes

I suppose it depends on whether it renders the world at a different scale but adjusts the masked off area or whether it renders the same image for both headsets and then adds the appropriate black bars to make it display correctly on each. My money would be on the latter though. Much simpler. In which case no it would make no difference because you would be applying the same warp to an identical frame then making it fit the headset.

@mixedrealityTV Wow, Great observation. What I was most worried about was distortion.

Thanks, it helped me a lot.

@mixedrealityTV, Thanks a lot, so this “VR world moving together with you” issue only happen when you move head very quick? If move head slowly, then no such issue with 8K?

Why would distortion change when you move your head? Distortion correction is done by the HMD renderer immediately after receiving a frame from the game. And I don’t see how that has anything to do with your head position. Imagine only 1 frame being displayed, so you’re just looking at a photo, now move your head, everything stays the same, the distortion doesn’t change …

6 Likes

To me this looks more like a tracking latency issue.

3 Likes

Is it possible to reduce the refresh rate of 5k+ to 80hz to reproduce this issue on 5k+? If still no such distortion with 5k+, then it is not related to lower refresh rate. @mixedrealityTV

wow, i wonder if Microsoft got the brainwrap idea from Pimax or its just bad luck for Pimax, let’s hope Pimax won’t have to pay Microsoft

2 Likes

http://community.openmr.ai/t/more-distortion-on-8k-than-5k-plus-mrtv/8484/45?u=burstingtops

@deletedpimaxrep1 Microsoft is stealing your idea!

3 Likes

I think so, it look like a latency or problem of refresh rate more than distortion (it look we saw the old image when sebastian say the image follow his head).

Nobody answered this question above:
I’m not well versed enough in the back end technologies to know all the ins and outs, but a question I thought of

If the scaler/internal pipe is only able to pass through a signal at 80 FPS, but the 4k panels themselves are 90 Hz panels (the original spec), then in much the same way a monitor without G-sync or such would just repeat frames if it’s refresh is higher than provided, is it possible that 80 frames are being sent to the panels per second, and they’re refreshing 90 times, so every tenth frame is a repeat? Do we know if these panels adjust to lower frame-rates?

1 Like

I don’t know if anyone has any experience with this distortion, so I will write down the feeling of distortion I felt on other devices.

I have had this experience with PimaX 4K and OSVR HDK 1.4 headsets and never experienced it on the Oculus Go and Oculus headsets.

When we look at the landscape while wearing a headset and turning head as we see it,
As the changing scenes look like they really are, you have to come into view naturally as you turn your gaze, these landscapes are slightly shaking or moving along your eyes.
This distortion completely breaks the feeling that ‘I am actually in this place in virtual space’. Very bad …

:smile: … Please note.

1 Like

I guess that is ghosting which be the most issue which cause in pimax 4k.

@deletedpimaxrep1 I think you don’t want 8k to have the big issues like ghosting in 4k, please investigate about this. thanks.

1 Like

I guess it’s about tracking algorithm, not ghost.

Links to this in the past are listed below.

http://community.openmr.ai/t/about-head-tracking-rotational-tracking-quality-improvement/2354

2 Likes

The PANEL don’t refresh it self. The LCD can go up to 90hz but the refresh rate is decided by the capacity of the components in the control pipeline in the case of the 8K limited to 80hz by the upscale chip

That doesn’t track for me… Before Gsync, for example, if you played a game at 4 fps on a 60 hz monitor, it didn’t just draw 4 times a second, the monitor drew 4 frames 15 times each to fill the one second… the 60 hz was locked into the hardware side of the monitor, isn’t it? Most panels have fixed refresh rates, don’t they? Independent of the input framerate?

Some similar problem when I turn my head on vive while I play Apex constructor.

When I turn head slowly to left and right, I found the building is divide to be 2 images seperately. It look like ghosting but it is not because the image has same opacity.I think this cause by tracking. But when I check, this issue is happened with other base station too. This problem cause with controller too, I can see it skip from one position to one position immediatly and then I can see 2 controller image at the same time.

When I try to close the “asynchronous reprojection” in steamvr setting, I can see this issue so much and when I see in “openvr advanced setting” I always see “frame drop” and I am sure that this issue is cause by “low spec of my gpu because bottle neck by old cpu”

I found this issue on “Rick and morty”, and “Beat saber” on title but when I try to close “asynchronous reprojection” , no problem on these 2 game and it can move smoother. Sometimes, native frame rate is better than asynchronous option.

When I test the “frame drop” on acer mixed reality. I found that I almost not get any “frame drop” and no any problem on those game although I set the same “super sampling” on steamvr. Acer has more resoltuion display, but it look software can work better than vive on my pc.

@mixedrealityTV it will be great if you can test the headset on other PC too, if you can test other 8k on your computer and test your 8k on other computer. So we can scope that this issues cause by your pc or your headset or this issue cause with all headset. Can you meet vooddoDE to check about this?

p.s. Sometime, the frame drop is not increased in OpenVR advanced setting tool or fpsVR, but I found that this image skipping still be available. Your sample of finger move in video look like my situation, but still not sure.

A monitor is not a LCD : it’s a controller + an LCD panel. in the case of old monitors the LCD panels couldn’t physically switch the liquid crystal faster than 60hz. You could go lower in hz but manufacture block the controller the 60hz which was the best usable value

No panels have a maximum refresh rate.

@mixedrealityTV Other recommendation, if we think this issue caused by tracking. Then you should close all base station and test it again.

If this issue caused by distortion profile, I think it should be happened will all fov because we decrease the fov , not the distortion (except you can see this on the edge). If you found this issue on high fov mode only, I think it is something about performance of rendering.